A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

Started construction on a new zone, called Riverbank Retreat! More will be added soon, and when I have enough info about the zone, I'll be posting in the Edge of Darkness thread with more screenies.

For now, however, here's the first visual of the fourth zone!

7yOFue8.png

(Parallax isn't programmed in yet, if one of you was about to mention that.)

• Like 5

Started construction on a new zone, called Riverbank Retreat! More will be added soon, and when I have enough info about the zone, I'll be posting in the Edge of Darkness thread with more screenies.

7yOFue8.png

That's very... gray and, for the lack of a better word, dull looking. Throw some colors in and you should be golden.

• Like 1

Got a batch of screenshots for you guys. I'll be announcing the project soon.

edrt2014-03-2315-51-50-89_zpsfcd94646.pn

Woah, it's so hot around here! Just feel those heat waves!

edrt2014-03-2315-51-53-20_zps48955e5e.pn

Wow, a sandstorm! It's blowing me back!

edrt2014-03-2315-52-42-19_zps2230fa7e.pn

Heh, this new move makes homing in and busting badniks much faster! (I can also still use the Elemental Shields too using the C button!)

• Like 7

Already posted this in the game's thread, but most people only check this thread, so might as well post it here.

cD4aiOX.png

There's more stuff in the background, but you can't see it due to Sonic's position.

But yeah, this is Sunrise Gate Zone Act 1 for my project Sonic Overture for those who don't know.

• Like 5

7yOFue8.png

Gotta agree with Pedro, gray by itself is a very boring shade to use. However if you want to still get away with having a gray look, you can always slightly tint it towards a certain colour. It will still give the impression that something is either gray or black or white etc, but it will be a lot more visually pleasing. It's why I never really use straight up gray anymore in my work unless the piece particularly calls for it.

For example here is a palette from Team Fortress 2 (which I've never played I just know they adhere to this):

tips_palette.gif

The bottom on the blue side there we would look at and go "oh that is gray" but it isn't, it is very slightly a yellowish tint. Here is a tutorial I like as well regarding colours - http://androidarts.com/art_tut.htm .

• Like 2

@Poe

I wanna hug that Sonic :3 I really like the sprites!

I've been noticing that your title card changes depending on the location, as in showing where the zone is located in, that's a really nice touch.

Edited by Jassbec
  • Like 1

@Jassbec: I'm really digging the visual style you have going on for the game. While the green hill zone asthetic is kinda forgettable, I think your unique visual style will make it stand it from the millions of others. I'm also diggin that color pallet as well.

@Potato: Oh man those new sprites look amazing. Great job on em!

Already posted this in the game's thread, but most people only check this thread, so might as well post it here.

cD4aiOX.png

There's more stuff in the background, but you can't see it due to Sonic's position.

But yeah, this is Sunrise Gate Zone Act 1 for my project Sonic Overture for those who don't know.

Those are some pretty good graphics... so good that the Sonic 1 sprite sticks out like a sore thumb. :P

@Jassbec: I'm really digging the visual style you have going on for the game. While the green hill zone asthetic is kinda forgettable, I think your unique visual style will make it stand it from the millions of others. I'm also diggin that color pallet as well.

Haha, just you wait until we finish Act 1 and show acts 2 and 3, you're gonna be surprised. :3 (and thanks!)

Those are some pretty good graphics... so good that the Sonic 1 sprite sticks out like a sore thumb. :P

Uh oh, that's not good, lol

This is a Sonic 1 prequel so Sonic 1 sprites seem like a logical choice, we might change the pallette later on.

(though there were discussions early in development about using pre-rendered sprites from the game's CGI cutscene's Sonic model).

Edited by Jassbec

Here some images of one level of my game for UDK, just need to start placing the objects now.

The entire game is planned and some levels already have some objects and textures. Since there is just this level halfway done and no foliage and textures yet, I am planning to move to Unreal Engine 4, and program a sonic pawn for start over in the blueprint system if possible.

Also I am looking for people to join in if interested, of course it takes more skill than just use UDK in a basic level. Just PM me.

a_zps7906bc0a.jpg
b_zps55ceb8e6.jpgd_zpsec04d909.jpg

d_zpsec04d909.jpg

c_zps2482b773.jpg

**Sorry for the big pictures. Dont know how to use this editor too much.

• Like 4

GDK doesn't work in UE4 so you'd have to completely recode the GDK engine from scratch if you moved it over to UE4.

as for the level thats a pretty good looking prototype you have there, hopefully you'll be able to cover up the terrain tool stuff with assets.

GDK doesn't work in UE4 so you'd have to completely recode the GDK engine from scratch if you moved it over to UE4.

as for the level thats a pretty good looking prototype you have there, hopefully you'll be able to cover up the terrain tool stuff with assets.

Yes, due to the change to C++, but hopefully will be possible to create a sonic pawn and physics inside the new blueprint system, tha is very powerful. There is a friend that can possibly do some of this, and also I'll be learning this new system to try to do it myself, maybe based in the sgdk code. I think the time needed in making just these 2 parts will be much compensated by the ue4 speed and ease to use.

Thanks. The lavel landscape will be covered with rocks and palms that is done already, I already tested out and gone fine, but I was changing the resolution of the plants, as it only work well with culling and not much geometry. I am assembling this level in UE4 for comparison.

Highwire,so you the guy that done Sonic Lost Adventure, isn't? I got very interested when I saw because is one of the very few sgdk games with use of custom objects instead of using the engine and terrain and landscape tool. It was very cool to see more people interested in doing great 3d sonic games.

Edited by Ricardo Raiohardt

Yes, due to the change to C++, but hopefully will be possible to create a sonic pawn and physics inside the new blueprint system, tha is very powerful. There is a friend that can possibly do some of this, and also I'll be learning this new system to try to do it myself, maybe based in the sgdk code. I think the time needed in making just these 2 parts will be much compensated by the ue4 speed and ease to use.

If you can actually get that code to work, you should talk to Xaklse about it since he hasn't been planning on porting it to UE4. At the least, you should make it public for others to use if Xaklse still won't port it over even if you manage to get it to work.

Highwire,so you the guy that done Sonic Lost Adventure, isn't? I got very interested when I saw because is one of the very few sgdk games with use of custom objects instead of using the engine and terrain and landscape tool. It was very cool to see more people interested in doing great 3d sonic games.

Yup thats me. Using default assets for an original project didn't make any sense and I refuse to let any of my work fall in and dissapear with the rest of the rabble. I just hope Lost Adventure sets a standard of visual quality for GDK games and gets more people into using the engine.