A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

Only a person who doesn't know Photoshop would say that
Oh, I guess my 7 years of experience, my Adobe degree, my past fangames and my last two jobs (web designer and digital illustrator), my few years in Art School and all of my books and video tutorials, isn't knowledge enough for you.

Allow me to reformulate your phrase, just so it suits better the situation:

"Only a person who knows Photoshop well enough could say that".

Now that's better. :)

You did all that and still can't effectively use PS for pixel art?

I suppose its not something anyone teaches so I can see why you'd say that. Its a different workflow I had to figure out on my own. I really should do some video tutorials or something seems everyone has difficulties grasping the benefits.

You did all that and still can't effectively use PS for pixel art?

I suppose its not something anyone teaches so I can see why you'd say that. Its a different workflow I had to figure out on my own. I really should do some video tutorials or something seems everyone has difficulties grasping the benefits.

Wait what...? My critcism has nothing to do with the pixel art. It's the stripes pattern that I'm bitching about. It doesn't follow the 3D depht that the Bevel gives in. It's just a buch of lines placed on top of it. Also it lacks contrast.

Here I did a quick draw showing the pattern that Delta used and the feeling it have:

j0vNk.png

(I only drew one side and mirrored, feels lazy man...)

Take a look on how the stripes doesn't get distorted by the slopes and gapes on the sides. It looks very little natural, out of place, and, as I said, Photoshoped.

The pixel art is fine, lack some variation, but it's good. Not great, but good.

Edit:

Like this

BwiTp.jpg

(Tweaked the brightness a little bit, it was looking like gold)

@Core Looks much better. But I still think that the rocks need to be a little more darker. Perhaps you could treat it on Photoshop using a Curves or Levels adjustment so you can darken the dark spots giving it more of a natural and third dimensional look.

Yeah Pedro is right on this one, I do agree. It simply looks like Delta took the striped halftone pattern in PS, rotated it a bit and overlayed it on top of the bricks without taking into account that the bricks should appear as if they are three dimensional (despite being sprites). Instead it looks more like someone plastered a striped wallpaper on a wall instead of what it should be.

That is the point Pedro is getting at I think, as well as the fact that 'too much photoshopped' probably alludes to just simply slapping a filter in PS over it and calling it a day. It just doesn't look natural as he said/is pointing out.

Photoshop is shit at pixel art. Unless you know how to effectively remove colors and crap. Then it's like it is with everything else, and makes life extremely easy.

Why are we talking about this anyway. I just want to look at screenshots, dammit.

Really? I've done all the sprites I've ever done when I was working on my fangame (so my Sonic and Knuckles and whatever I started) in Photoshop. I just use the pencil tool (not the brush), and the grid is kind of cool too. I tend to work on layers for certain things before merging them together, just so that if I want to change something easily (like the colour of a jacket or even its design) I can with no hassle.

Dont you guys just love UDK? :3

nBpZu.jpg

I'll probably add some volumetric light to the aurora.

@Lake: Those looks beautiful, Lake. :3 But you maaaaay consider a revising the rock patterns on the second screenshot.

2rg2u15.png

Still working on more furniture, of course. If I have time, I'd like to make it so that players can customize it by moving things around and/or buying new furniture pieces. Some of them would have specific functions, like a jukebox being able to change the bgm.

Overbound, that's pretty awesome. :D Looks like something that'd fit in with the old cartoon series (not SatAM, the other one).

Looks pretty. But I'm under the impression that there's a problem with the door on the right, as if the lines were not lined up.

By the way, what does the picture on the wall represent?

Yeah, I'm not quite happy with it yet. xD It's supposed to be the door on this treehouse:

sltest2.png

I'm guessing that I condensed it a little too much in the indoor version.

As for the picture, it vaguely resembles a bird to me.