A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

Viridian%20Valley%20Map.png

I don't like to show off completed level maps before the demo is released but WIP is ok. This is about 1/3 of Viridian Valley Act 1 Future. I just started tiling it last night and once completed will be my third level tiled thus far. The large gap before the first pink guide line is because water and a boat belong there. I'm pretty proud of this level so far as it has virtually no flat ground. Even the main foreground has those little dips that classic green levels are known for.

Viridian%20Valley%20Zone.png

In that past this has been impossible for me to do because it meant laying several different solids down for collisions. I'll still have to do that but I can make a template set of solids specifically for this piece. Plus the engine makes it easier too.

@Overbound: It's pretty good actually. I believe your one-third-of-map has the same size of an ordinary classic level of mine. lol

@Rawr Oh. Thought I would actually defeat Buckbeak ):

SphoenixTwoDotZero.png

Not actually a good screenshot, but I found out that I was having trouble with making levels on Sonic Phoenix. I started to mess with it again, and my crappy seminoob engine was giving me trouble when I deleted a few of the level environment. So I started remaking this 2.0 Engine on Sonic Worlds. May not look like, but I'm having lotta fun with it. Dozens of things are now even more smooth, starting from the animations and the Slide (old "Trip Attack") which now doesn't gives you speed, but reduces it.

Sorry for DP

Now I have something to show up.

avalon1.png

Background, Detail and Pallete Test for both "Avalon: Space Rush" and "Avalon: Final Effort". So, nevermind the original Sonic Worlds background.

PS. The first act of "Final Effort" is supposed to be played as soon as you start the game. It is just a little rush - without many enemies - before the... oh let's not broke up the concept of the new story.

Notice that engine isn't quite 100% yet.

Trying to make a new custom level

[qimg]http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/7135/pseudoss2.png[/qimg]

There is anything i can do to make it look better?

Maybe you should remove some of the losangles and put some other shapes, and so vary the colors a bit (though they look fine, but poor, as you didn't show us a possible background for this. This is why I understand why they look a bit weird for me, and yeah, I know, it's WIP).

@Lake Great thing you got there. Much better now. I like it.

You know that dark-purple color you can see in your recoloured scrap of Hidden Palace Zone in your BG? Well you should use it - a bit lighter, because of proximity with the camera - in your foreground diamonds.

@Bosco This is great too. Hmmm.... yeah. Not so much to say. It's beatiful anyway.

@Bosco that looks really really nice. I love those trees. But I think the colors could stand to be improved. They lack contrast and looks like they'd also benefit from shifting the hue a bit on some of your shades of green. Just in this photo I changed the green on your hills a bit.

Bosco.png

Even beyond that though I'd continue to mess with the colors. Less red in brown colors on those trees would be another good color change.

@LF I think your using way too many colors and I still think it would be better if you followed that pattern I gave you more.

LakeFeperd.png

That's awesome, Bosco! ^_^ The only thing that seems odd to me is the size of the pillars that are furthest away. Because of their distance, they look huge compared to the ones in the foreground. Logically they should only be a couple pixels wide, or perhaps the pillars further up should be stretched out a little or varied in size.

Other than that, awesome awesome work.

@LF I think your using way too many colors and I still think it would be better if you followed that pattern I gave you more.

[qimg]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5170721/LakeFeperd.png[/qimg]

well, the zone is called Lost Levels Zone, and each act is a remake of sonic 2's "lost levels" This one is Hidden Palace and it's only one act, wich means that the other acts will be totaly diferent from this one.

Anyway, lets try it out

ss36.pngss37.png

ss38.pngss39.png

tile2r.pngtile1.png

I've converted the whole level into your tile and im in a doubt now

I do realy want to use my own tiles but...

I like the one on the left better

Although, having some of the diamond things get cut off looks really unprofessional (just add the full image back to the tiles) and the background may need to be a bit darker to provide BG/FG contrast. Otherwise, I really like it.

(maybe I should throw together a little mockup for you to show what I mean)

@Strife: That was done on purpose, that world lacks of proportions and some physic laws. Meaning that those pilars are the biggest colums you'll ever see in your life, and they vary from thickness and size.

@Overbound: Thanks for the suggestion! Do you mind if I use the modified version it in my game? I'll give you credit.

Even beyond that though I'd continue to mess with the colors. Less red in brown colors on those trees would be another good color change.

threej.png

sonicphoenix_superformtest.png

I wanted to show Overbound what I was capable of doing with that pole he gave me, but I've been working on the engine a lot.

Homing Attack is still a bit buggy, need to figure it out a little bit. But still, there's a little sample of what I want to do.

I've changed the controls a little bit and enabled Super Sonic for your sake -- the classic way.

That depends on sooooo many factors.

If you want them to look like Sonic characters at 320x240, roughly 40 pixels tall while standing, 30 while rolling, and 26 in spindash rev mode

As a rule of thumb, divide the vertical resolution by 6 to determine ideal height of the character at his most basic position if you want a similar scale to a Sonic game.

Addendum:

In Soviet Russia, Sonic make fangame of obsessive compulsive nerd.