A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Project ESTATE

Highwire4

So, I've kinda been in a creative rut lately. A lot of projects have started and died in the span of a few weeks. I've finally settled on one and I thought I may as well make a topic about it.

Project ESTATE

ESTATE is essentially a metroidvania game that focuses on the use of projectiles in a non-violent manner to interact and traverse the world along with other abilities and platforming elements. This game is going to be doing a lot of the things I wanted to do in a previous project, AWAKE, but simpler. ESTATE is kind of a warm up and practice for what I want to do with AWAKE.

NOW THEN, thats what ESTATE is at its core but what will you be doing in the game? Well you'll be trying to uncover the mysterious story of an manor in the middle of a dense forest. You'll be uncovering and exploring the home using your abilities and weapons while finding new ones that open new paths. While doing this you'll get little clues into the story of the home and a little bit of the surrounding world.

You'll be solving puzzles with your weapons and traversing traps and difficult platforming sections as you explore the home.

This is all of the art work as of right now, most of development is all in written notes at the moment while I finalize and streamline the game mechanics and abilities.

I plan on making this an exclusive title for the OUYA console. This isn't my first completed game, so I'm a little confident I can make a nice product to sell.

Now then, any questions?

jo5.png

BSn7STwCQAAM9NZ.png:large

I believe there are rules about you needing to have more stuff than just drawings to show to start a new thread.

I usually like your drawings and shit, just a heads-up before you end up with a locked thread because of the lack of substential content in it.

I believe there are rules about you needing to have more stuff than just drawings to show to start a new thread.

I usually like your drawings and shit, just a heads-up before you end up with a locked thread because of the lack of substential content in it.

I'm well aware of the rules and from what I remember you needed more than just text to start a new thread. I figured the concept art would be enough to show I'm working on this but maybe I'm wrong?

If you want I can post the current design plan doc for the game.

I'd show actual screenshots but my computer is barely functioning. I can't program or do digital art till it gets fixed so drawings is really all I can do :c

Still, this early on I'd like some kind of source of feedback from other people so...eh

I should probably mention I've been working on this for the past 2 weeks

@Infinite_Alex: Not sure what you mean by the meme thing but thanks xD

Not all is lost, there will be a pc demo available at some point along with the full game on ouya, so you'll still get to play some of it. Plus I don't have a big enough following to get a game on steam xD

Ouya is a fantastic platform to develop for and the console is dirt cheap, I reccommend you get one.

Idea

Why not with the PC demo put on a quality option, like most flash games/animations? Dunno where to begin on how to code it, but it seems like a great idea. Kinda obvious, but the player could flip it so he could get gains in either graphics or performance, either or he/she favored.

Well yes, but thats an awful long way down the road xD

Such accessibility options would be implemented much later on so.

• 1 month later...

So progress on Project ESTATE has been going along quite well. In fact we're going to start beta testing some stuff soon. SO. WHO WANTS TO BE PUT ON THE TESTING LIST?

You'll get sent builds when ever I make them along with a set of instructions of things I'd like you to try while you're testing. They'll be a bit more particular during these first tests and get more relaxed as the game gets more developed. If you are on a mac, smartphone, linex, or tablet computer, I'm afraid I can't let you test since it just won't work. Also anyone in beta testing isn't allowed to share the software around with anyone or really talk about it with anyone else.

i'd love to test the game. but alot of people won't trust me. *sigh*

okay, maybe if you don't want me to test dat, i'll just buy ouya and wait your game released....

btw, any platform designed beside OUYA? like smartphone, or Mac or even the console? (well, uhm.... just dat) :v

P.S : wait, Mac or Linux can use Wine, right.....? (guess not)

Edit :

"anyone in beta testing isn't allowed to share the software around with anyone or really talk about it with anyone else"

got it! xD

@GamerZ1: Currently it is being made exclusively for OUYA but I will have a PC port at some point after its ouya console release. I'm aiming for Steam Greenlight but I don't really have a big enough following to get that to happen. I'm hoping I can help establish that base with the ouya release.

And yes of course you can beta test! I'll add you to the list.

Wow thanks a lot for the support guys! You're all on the list! I'm hoping to get a demo of some sort out by the time SAGE comes around so expect to get a build sent via PM sometime around Nov 1st....or at least thats what my goal is xD

I'm not sending half assed or half working betas though. Doing that would be a testing failure on my part, so they'll be done when they're done.

I've currently got about just under half of the abilities working and a few half working. A few puzzle elements are basically working as well but nothing really works too well with each other quite yet. Will post up some screenshots on saturday! Thanks again guys, and more can sign up too!

Wow thanks a lot for the support guys! You're all on the list! I'm hoping to get a demo of some sort out by the time SAGE comes around so expect to get a build sent via PM sometime around Nov 1st....or at least thats what my goal is xD

I'm not sending half assed or half working betas though. Doing that would be a testing failure on my part, so they'll be done when they're done.

I've currently got about just under half of the abilities working and a few half working. A few puzzle elements are basically working as well but nothing really works too well with each other quite yet. Will post up some screenshots on saturday! Thanks again guys, and more can sign up too!

The moment you have a box that does what you want it to, your game should be able to be test-played by others. The earlier you get problems out of the way the better, since, the worst test-player you could posibly have is yourself.

The moment you have a box that does what you want it to, your game should be able to be test-played by others. The earlier you get problems out of the way the better, since, the worst test-player you could posibly have is yourself.

Like I said, I've already tested the game and the engine is really smooth. That isn't an issue. So let him do what needs to be done, and enjoy the build when you get it.

Thanks for the concern, but this isn't the first time I've beta tested the game as Mr. Potato has said. I've sent previous builds to people on skype a few times in the past. Those builds were ready to test. The game in its current state is not. The coding is too incomplete on too many assets so they don't really reflect the way they are intended to work. Testing them now would be like testing a shovel with out a head. Yeah its got the base for a functioning tool but its missing the main components that make it useable. Testers would complain and report bugs that are there due to its incomplete nature so I wouldn't really get anything usefull out of it till I coded more into it.

Sorry if I sound like I'm rejecting your advice or something with this long post and over abundance of details and words. I'm not rejecting it at all, I'll keep what you said in mind next time I'm working on stuff. I just want you to know the circumstances of whats going on is all so that we don't have a possible 5 pages of miscommunication going on later down the road. Thanks though.

Hey guys, sorry about the double post, but I'm just letting you guys know that I've 'finished' the next beta build of the game a little bit ahead of schedule, so expect to see a download link in your inboxes on Nov 1st!

I'm still willing to add more people to the beta test list if anyone is interested.

@InfinityAlex and P3DR0: You guys have been added to the list. Thank you guys so much for volunteering!

I've sent out the beta build to you guys along with a list of rules and such. I don't know when the next build will be ready. I'm hoping maybe to have it ready by the first of dec. Maybe have a new one out every month. I dunno, we'll see how it goes.

Thanks again to all you guys doing this, it seriously means a lot to me!