A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Infinity [PREPARING FOR SAGE]

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its funny just hardcore people get about fangame names. Like yeah we all ribbed way back in the day on "Sonic Henceforth" because it was funny... but is it really such a huge deal who is calling their project -what-? At the end of the day most of the titles are meaningless because all fangames are derivative in the end. Just let them make their game and call it whatever. At the end of the day it's just another fangame. Instead of worrying about titles too just make the game first, since the title at this point is rather trivial.

I think its funny just hardcore people get about fangame names. Like yeah we all ribbed way back in the day on "Sonic Henceforth" because it was funny... but is it really such a huge deal who is calling their project -what-? At the end of the day most of the titles are meaningless because all fangames are derivative in the end. Just let them make their game and call it whatever. At the end of the day it's just another fangame. Instead of worrying about titles too just make the game first, since the title at this point is rather trivial.

LOL, I totally forgot about Sonic Henceforth.

Guest Mr Lange

That's funny I thought we took Sonic fangames seriously here.

Guess I misread the name of the freaking website.

Assuming we are taking Sonic fangames seriously here then yes a fangame's title is a significant deal. We should choose our names wisely and design our games accordingly.

Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been on hiatus for a few days. Not that it matters, seeing as I probably won't be at SAGE...

Once everything in the first act is done, I'll post a gameplay vid, we should be sometime this month, if I get my ass into gear again. Either way, more stuff coming soon.

Assuming we are taking Sonic fangames seriously here then yes a fangame's title is a significant deal. We should choose our names wisely and design our games accordingly.

Name is important stuff since it's the first thing players will look at and might affect whenever they play it or not.

Yeah, kinda like putting mod.gen or Sonic 1 sprites in a classic game. Not looking at any game in particular. Just a random comparison...

Oh Alex you sly dog.

Who would dare to make such a comparison!? We all know which is the superior sprite.

sonic 1 raight gais

really depends on situation tho

nd u can always edit lol

That's funny because I don't remember it always being this way - I recall that people made fangames for the fun of it because that was something they enjoyed doing. Because it was just them paying their own little homages to a series they like. People getting so serious about them that we nitpick peoples projects to all hell these days (especially over the titles) before they have a chance to even really show anything off is a bad thing.

But hey, whatever floats your boat I guess.

Well back in the past we did used to nitpick over fangame titles. And then we grew up. You guys obsess over the most ridiculous things. Titles, fancharacters, sprite style selection....fangaming has gotten pretty pretentious at this point.

I mean seriously, people actually bitch when someone is using a style that isn't classic these days. Does anyone remember the sprite section from the older website?

Guest Mr Lange
Well back in the past we did used to nitpick over fangame titles. And then we grew up. You guys obsess over the most ridiculous things. Titles, fancharacters, sprite style selection....fangaming has gotten pretty pretentious at this point.

I mean seriously, people actually bitch when someone is using a style that isn't classic these days. Does anyone remember the sprite section from the older website?

lol then what are you doing here.

Also I've already played a build of Alex's game and its nothing like Sonic Advance, it plays like the 2D 06 engine, so I consider this important enough to merit a title change in case someone eventually does want to make a legit Sonic Advance 4 without feeling deterred from the project just because the name was taken, or if said person does it anyway, so there won't be meaningless confusion for everyone else. In our subculture world of Sonic fangames, this is important. This forum is all about that stuff.

lol then what are you doing here.

Also I've already played a build of Alex's game and its nothing like Sonic Advance, it plays like the 2D 06 engine, so I consider this important enough to merit a title change in case someone eventually does want to make a legit Sonic Advance 4 without feeling deterred from the project just because the name was taken, or if said person does it anyway, so there won't be meaningless confusion for everyone else. In our subculture world of Sonic fangames, this is important. This forum is all about that stuff.

Okay to be honest I think you're starting to take this a little too seriously when it's just a game title for a project that hasn't really surfaced publicly yet. Let Alex work on his game and concepts first, then he will discover what to name his game in the process.

Alright guys let's stop bickering about the name of the game, yes? It's not as important as the game engine itself and its concepts/gameplay design.

Guest Mr Lange
Lange, how do you mean 2D 06 engine? If you're talking about bugs, they're fixed. It's more akin to a 2D Generations/Unleashed engine.

SuperBliz, thank you for your support. I will think of an official title, even if it is of no relevance to the story :P

What Potatobadger said. It is also 2D Generations/Unleashed, which is its own continuum of gameplay mechanics. That's why I'm saying leave Sonic Advance 4 open in case someone really does intend to continue that series properly. But, you've already planned to change the title, so I'm just making this point for the sake of others here.

Also I've already played a build of Alex's game and its nothing like Sonic Advance, it plays like the 2D 06 engine, so I consider this important enough to merit a title change in case someone eventually does want to make a legit Sonic Advance 4 without feeling deterred from the project just because the name was taken

Who cares? If someone really wants to make a Sonic Advance 4 then they'll do it, just like Alex is right now. It is a fangame. Besides, if you were both making the same fangame idea in parallel then the competition could only be a healthy thing.

Sega doesn't even give a shit about their sequels anymore, if Sonic 4 and Phantasy Star Online 2 are any indication, both sequels to immensely popular games that have no respect for their original titles. They've been dumping over their profitable names for an entire generation now. You are whining for nothing.

Sega doesn't even give a shit about their sequels anymore, if Sonic 4 and Phantasy Star Online 2 are any indication, both sequels to immensely popular games that are nothing like one another. They've been dumping over their profitable names for an entire generation now. You are whining for nothing.

Wait, so you're saying since sega's doesn't give a shit about there sequel names means we have an excuse to make our stuff shit too?