A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic From The Beginning (Cancelled)

Jassbec

@MrLangeFactor, Guru of All Knowledge

The thing isn't actually under construction and, given your previous feedback, I've been talking a bit with Jass.

@Jeli

I know this seems like an ATS ripoff, but I assure you, I'm doing everything I can to stop this vibe. Heck, I'm co-writing the story with Jassbec (sorta) and I think it's fair to say I've had some good, original ideas so far. Ideas which are able to tie the game into the "TS" series without becoming a ripoff.

I think you will give second thoughts by the end product.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mr Lange
Woah woah woah. I hate to be kind of a jerk here, but have you played your own game? It's fun, I really enjoyed it, but. It's a rip-off of everything sonic. Seriously. There is really nothing original about it, other than the word polos. The genesis sprites and ds sprites don't go together at all, and the "boss" after the first level? All you do is run a few feet and jump on the platform with the little weirdo on it. Also, I can't get past the second level, (the one with the DS tiles) I've been trying to figure it out for like a week now. Try not to take offense...

A Sonic clone is one thing, that isn't so bad, it's usually an honest creative endeavor (Socket, Freedom Planet). A clone of a fan project of the same series is another, where it's always an obvious attempt to jump in the way of the remaining camera flashes in the wake of a successful fan project (see every SMBZ ripoff).

You do know Robotnik had a flying fortress in the 8-bit version of Sonic 1 right?

And it was different from Scrap Brain Zone, which was also in that game, and rooted to the ground?

The fact that so much of this is poorly thought up indicates you're pressing for excuses to go through with a BTS ripoff.

Scrap Brain Zone is the prime trope source of Robotnik trying to construct a massive factory land. LAND. It makes no sense that he's trying to build Scrap Brain as a flying fortress first, when as an industrial complex, it functions best by being land based and consuming resources shipped from the earth and surrounding island. I don't care what plot explanations you have, because if you ignore the plot, you have a ripoff that can be seen when squinting at the game.

Woah woah woah. I hate to be kind of a jerk here, but have you played your own game? It's fun, I really enjoyed it, but. It's a rip-off of everything sonic. Seriously. There is really nothing original about it, other than the word polos. The genesis sprites and ds sprites don't go together at all, and the "boss" after the first level? All you do is run a few feet and jump on the platform with the little weirdo on it. Also, I can't get past the second level, (the one with the DS tiles) I've been trying to figure it out for like a week now. Try not to take offense...

A Sonic game that plays and looks like a Sonic game... Oh no.

Well, if youre going to keep saying Ftb is a ripoff of bts, then let me drop y and say a few things

If youre going by the visual similarities between "robotniks roost" and the final zones in bts, then let me post the process of its design:

Original design:

IMG.jpg

Second design:me_0003_NEW-1.jpg

I redesigned it, made it into a sprite and rounded out the lower area because i didnt like how that looked. So the similarities in that are entirely my fault.

If its by art style similarities, then that, for the most part, is intentional.

As jass himself posted it in the first post of the thread, the game is meant to be taken as a sort of thank you letter to lake and all the work he and his sound team have done in terms of motivation and inspiration, and for making kickass games, so many similarities in art direction(and maybe story, im not sure) are intentional.

You do know Robotnik had a flying fortress in the 8-bit version of Sonic 1 right?

And it was different from Scrap Brain Zone, which was also in that game, and rooted to the ground?

The fact that so much of this is poorly thought up indicates you're pressing for excuses to go through with a BTS ripoff.

Scrap Brain Zone is the prime trope source of Robotnik trying to construct a massive factory land. LAND. It makes no sense that he's trying to build Scrap Brain as a flying fortress first, when as an industrial complex, it functions best by being land based and consuming resources shipped from the earth and surrounding island. I don't care what plot explanations you have, because if you ignore the plot, you have a ripoff that can be seen when squinting at the game.

Well, given the ideas I've been talking with Jass about, Scrap Skies is pretty much on a mountain now.

At the moment, I'm still talking with Jass so we can try and adapt to all this critique you've been giving us (which has, so far, been for the better), coming up with my own ideas which will hopefully keep the game as Jass' original vision, while stopping itself from being called an ATS ripoff.

Now, as much as I love hearing your critique, can you please PM it to me so Jass doesn't post any more spoilers? We do listen to your critique a lot, so please either PM it to us or, even better, you could join the FTB chat room on Skype, so you can see our ideas and hopefully see that we're not as much an ATS ripoff as people are saying we are.

Also, I know exactly what you mean with SMBZ thing. It's annoying.

Sorry about using the word 'rip-off'. I didn't mean that. I just feel that some more original ideas would make the game more unique.

I know my game is a rip-off of Sonic. I just replaced Sonic with me and my friends for fun. If there's a problem with my game PLEASE tell me. I really need the feedback.

Sorry about using the word 'rip-off'. I didn't mean that. I just feel that some more original ideas would make the game more unique.

I know my game is a rip-off of Sonic. I just replaced Sonic with me and my friends for fun. If there's a problem with my game PLEASE tell me. I really need the feedback.

Sorry I got all jerkish on you, I was just mad because you guys are still saying it's a rip off, I got all pissy and tried to defend my friend. I really am sorry. The way you put it makes it seem like less of a rip off, I guess. Your game is actually really fun, except I can't get past the second level, and I don't feel like the DS tiles fit with the 16-bit styled sprites. That's really the only problem I have.

Everyone saying this game is a BTS/ATS rip-off

Anyways, I'm pretty sure Jassbec didn't even have intentions of going into the feperdverse at first. Jassbec came up with his own ideas, and they had similarities to the feperdverse, (for example, the special stage zone is like dream dance zone, but he came up with special stage zone, LONG before ATS was released) so (and the team) just went with it. Plus, I think it would be weird if we had a sonic prequel that didn't fit with feperdverse well. That's the main reason I changed my game from a sonic prequel to sonic xtreme. I didn't feel like the way I wanted the story to go fit well with the feperdverse.

I'm excited for Jassbec's game because I want to be able to play through the whole genesis saga. And if the story wasn't consistent, I wouldn't enjoy it as much.

Plus, it's not like he's making his game what happened in-between sonic 1 and 2, or 2 and 3. That would be a bit of a rip off. I have heard a few complain about the sprites too...

Ok, his game has similarities to BTS/ATS, and his sprite is relatively the same (they did make some significant changes.) But, I'm using the same sprites, and nobody is saying my game is a BTS/ATS rip off. The classic modgen sonic is a good sheet, why not use it?

Anyway, back on topic.

The thing is, we do actually have a pretty big block of originality right now, we're just not sharing it with you 'cuz, well, spoilers. But I feel that, once the full game comes out (probably sometime next year or 2015), you guys will see that what you've seen so far is merely the cracks of light behind the door (kudos to anyone who gets that reference).

I could do it. Do you want a young Sonic voice, or an impression of a main Sonic voice?

Please PM me a sample, or send it to me Via Skype.

(You can do something too if you want Potato, xD)

IMO, whenever I think of classic sonic having a voice, I think of the OVA, because it's the most canon of the classic sonic TV media. I think if sega wanted classic sonic to be voiced in generations, they would have grabbed martin burke, not jaleel white.

I honestly think classic sonic didn't have a voice because in japan because there was no sonic TV show. (as far as I'm aware.) I don't think the OVA was popular enough for newer players to understand that that was Sonic's voice actor at one point, (in both countries) so they just made him quiet.

I think classic tails spoke because he's sounded relatively the same throughout the entire franchise.

I think classic tails spoke because he's sounded relatively the same throughout the entire franchise.

Even though he's had the most voice actor changes thorughout the series.

Corey Bringas (English game voice (1999-2001))

Connor Bringas (Sonic Adventure 2 - English)

Ryo Hirohashi (Japanese game voice (2003-present) plus Sonic X)

William Corkery (Sonic Heroes-Sonic Advance 3 - English)

Amy Palant (English game voice (2005-2009) plus Sonic X)

Kate Higgins (English game voice (2010-present))