A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic From The Beginning (Cancelled)

Jassbec

So I'm trying to work on the color pallets, but, oh man how do I say this nicely...um.

Who is on your art team, because they seem to know just as much about art as the average joe. The problem with the art isn't just the colors, but how you're using them with the depth of the background and whats next to what and the list goes on and on and on.

I know you guys aren't that skilled and can't do much about it, but the game really doesn't look very visually appealing right now--in any of the levels. I think the least your art guy can do is google up how color relationships work and how they impact emotions and depth and etc. I can really only do so much for you guys with out subjecting my self to a lot free labor which is a big no no for me.

You guys clearly have an awesome vision for the game, and I want to see it reach that vision, but you lot gotta get a hand on your art quality. Most of the color pallets you have shown I've just not bothered with re doing because they were too far gone. So I'll be posting up new ones and see if you want to take those instead.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'm trying to work on the color pallets, but, oh man how do I say this nicely...um.

Who is on your art team, because they seem to know just as much about art as the average joe. The problem with the art isn't just the colors, but how you're using them with the depth of the background and whats next to what and the list goes on and on and on.

I know you guys aren't that skilled and can't do much about it, but the game really doesn't look very visually appealing right now--in any of the levels. I think the least your art guy can do is google up how color relationships work and how they impact emotions and depth and etc. I can really only do so much for you guys with out subjecting my self to a lot free labor which is a big no no for me.

You guys clearly have an awesome vision for the game, and I want to see it reach that vision, but you lot gotta get a hand on your art quality. Most of the color pallets you have shown I've just not bothered with re doing because they were too far gone. So I'll be posting up new ones and see if you want to take those instead.

Um...

we're doing some changes to the artstyle, hopefully for the good. (Right now the tile and background art clashes a lot, so we're changing some stuff.)
(Just keep in mind some of this stuff is still work in progress.)

We are aware of the issues, we are fixing a lot of stuff, art included. So don't worry.

I'm on board the art team and, while I'm no sprite artist, I think it's fair to say that my tiles have *just* escaped your criticism, not that you've seen them. Also, I think it's fair to say that some of the stuff you have seen is rather outdated; Jass doesn't share everything online. At least, that's what I'm hoping...

I love how you make a game that's pretty similar to BTS and is clearly inspired by Lake, and you've admitted your inspiration from him. One of the original ideas in you game is a "special stage zone" - a concept coined by Lake with Dream Dance Zone. I guess Lake copied you in this case :P

Even though the entire team is inspired by the Sequel games, we're trying to be original while adding feperd-flavored sprinkles into the game, you'll see what i'm talking about later. Many similarities with ATS are honestly coincidences (BTS on the other hand...) like the special stage idea that i came up with before i played ATS and MANY other things that are too soon to reveal. (It's scary how similar Lake and I think sometimes, i'm death serious.)

Given that BTS and ATS are classic games, I can't really say that they have much of a plot to begin with. "Eggman is doing bad things, let's stop him."

...And that's about as deep as it needs to be. Much more in a classic Sonic game and you're asking for trouble.

So no, I don't find it hard to believe that this game and that one coincidentally have similarities... They were doomed to from the start.

Guest Mr Lange
Given that BTS and ATS are classic games, I can't really say that they have much of a plot to begin with. "Eggman is doing bad things, let's stop him."

...And that's about as deep as it needs to be. Much more in a classic Sonic game and you're asking for trouble.

So no, I don't find it hard to believe that this game and that one coincidentally have similarities... They were doomed to from the start.

It's deep because it plays on the established storylines from long ago in very interesting ways.

Much more in a classic Sonic game and you're asking for trouble.

Oh no, FTB's plot is still "Sonic stops Eggman" but just explaining plot points to future games. (This game takes place in the fanverse created by Lake,so we're doing continuity nods to S1,S2,BTS,ATS etc.)For example,FTB's final level is Scrap Skies which turns into Scrap Brain at the end.(Our take on S1's plot is that the story is just an accident,the scraps and ideas that Eggman had in FTB.)Playing with classic plots is fun.

Oh no, FTB's plot is still "Sonic stops Eggman" but just explaining plot points to future games. (This game takes place in the fanverse created by Lake,so we're doing continuity nods to S1,S2,BTS,ATS etc.)For example,FTB's final level is Scrap Skies which turns into Scrap Brain at the end.(Our take on S1's plot is that the story is just an accident,the scraps and ideas that Eggman had in FTB.)Playing with classic plots is fun.

I think that's what attracted me to this project in the first place. I saw some of the concepts and story, and I noticed all of the connections Jass and co. wanted to make to the classic Sonic games.

...Scrap Skies flight prototype...crash...*&>..Abandon....**%^...Rebuild...high in the sky..&%^

Initiate, Project: Robotnik's Roost...^%$.......

Egg%20Roost.png

Sonic From The Beginning...Demo available at SAGE 2013...

Trailer, coming soon...

Gosh, that was really silly...

Guest Mr Lange

Please don't do something that's a bizarro version of what Lake did. Not THAT closely.

Robotnik built some of his first final level bases up a mountain. Scrap Brain Zone originated on South Island. You could play on those ideas.

*facepalm*

It's just me having some fun being bored. Yes, i realize that was really stupid, but that's the way i roll. :icon_cool:

And Mr. Lange, this tower is one of the things i call a coincidence since i had the idea of using some sort of tower in a fangame WAAAAAY before BTS even came out. (Just so you know, FTB is pretty much many ideas for different fangames i had "planned". I took many of my old ideas for FTB.) Also, there's some plot points that will explain the why of everything, you'll see.

EDIT: Also, i never mentioned static "(&^" thing being on the trailer. I made it for a "dramatic" effect for...you'll see, don't wanna spoil where or what.

Guest Mr Lange
It's just me having some fun being bored. Yes, i realize that was really stupid, but that's the way i roll. :icon_cool:

And Mr. Lange, this tower is one of the things i call a coincidence since i had the idea of using some sort of tower in a fangame WAAAAAY before BTS even came out. (Just so you know, FTB is pretty much many ideas for different fangames i had "planned". I took many of my old ideas for FTB.) Also, there's some plot points that will explain the why of everything, you'll see.

EDIT: Also, i never mentioned static "(&^" thing being on the trailer. I made it for a "dramatic" effect for...you'll see, don't wanna spoil where or what.

Tower is one thing. NASF 2 will have a tower. Dynamite Headdy had a tower.

But spherical under construction final zone situated on top of a mechanical tower all of which having the same basic proportions as the Death Egg and Titanic Tower is something else. That's a little past the coincidence threshold.

There's an explanation for EVERYTHING in the game, just be patient.

and if you want to think this is a BTS/ATS rip-off, go ahead, to be honest many thing he have revealed so far point to that, but when the game is done, hopefully it will change your opinion on the game.

We have no wrong intentions, we liked BTS and ATS, we have no intentions to rip-off anyone at all.

I'm just asking you, to be patient, there's a reason for everything, and you'll see.

Trust me.

But spherical under construction final zone situated on top of a mechanical tower all of which having the same basic proportions as the Death Egg and Titanic Tower is something else. That's a little past the coincidence threshold.

Sigh...time for some HUUUUGE spoilers

Alright, so at the very beginning we see this thing.

Eggempire.png

It's a Scrap Brain flying prototype, let me explain. Eggman wanted a flying fortress from the very beginning, he poorly executed every single of his plans from Sonic 1 to Sonic 3 in FTB (Including FANGAMES) being Robotization, the Flying fortress (death egg), a base (Scrap Brain), Climate change (Storm Station), a Tower/building under construction later made as part of the death egg plan in BTS,(the tower you see is actually a building under construction, hence the under construction elements in Caliente Carnival and Eternal Elevator.) all of those thing are executed in small scale, that's why only Raindrop Ruins is affected by the rain/climate changes, why the Scrap Skies-Brain/Death Egg prototype is seen flying at the very beginning, it crashes, and eggman decides to rebuild Scrap Brain-Skies into the tower/building you saw a few posts ago calling it Project: Robotnik's Roost. the tower/building includes Botanik Badnik and Scrap Skies and if Eggman succeeded, Eternal Elevator would be turned into a normal building with many rooms and floors, you can see small elements of that in Eternal Elevator.

I hope this changed your mindset a bit.

Tower is one thing. NASF 2 will have a tower. Dynamite Headdy had a tower.

Yes, its pretty much a coincidence, check the old ftb thread if you want to make sure, and trust me, the differences are plenty, mostly the fact that titanic tower and eternal elevatotlr uave vastly different designs. And the spherical part is my fault, the original design seemed a bit too flat so i decided to round up the bottom half, its just a coincidence... A very BIG coincidence mind you, but a coincidence nonetheless

... That and what jass just said

This does seem to be getting more and more of an ATS rip-off.

Woah woah woah. I hate to be kind of a jerk here, but have you played your own game? It's fun, I really enjoyed it, but. It's a rip-off of everything sonic. Seriously. There is really nothing original about it, other than the word polos. The genesis sprites and ds sprites don't go together at all, and the "boss" after the first level? All you do is run a few feet and jump on the platform with the little weirdo on it. Also, I can't get past the second level, (the one with the DS tiles) I've been trying to figure it out for like a week now. Try not to take offense...

the original design seemed a bit too flat so i decided to round up the bottom half, its just a coincidence... A very BIG coincidence mind you, but a coincidence nonetheless

Yeah, the original design was a little different.

Also, i made an edit with some HUGE spoiler about the story, i hope it changes what you think about it. If you're still with the same mindset, that's means i'm a real rip-off.