A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Magnitude (Working Title)

NOTE: THIS IS EXTREMELY OUTDATED. Seriously, don't bother reading this. Go to the most recent posts on the next page.

This is the thread for story ideas, concepts, tips, criticism, anything about my remake of Sonic Xtreme. It has the storyline of the one that is actually titled Sonic Xtreme. To give you an idea, here is the storyline from Sonic Retro.

SONIC XTREME - by Yasuhara Hirokazu and Richard Wheeler

Story

After Robotnik's defeat at the Floating Island, things returned to normal for Sonic and his friends. Robotnik however, had not been idle, and returned with an even grander scheme to conquer the world.

Robotnik has rebuilt his Death Egg fortress, larger than Sonic's entire world! So powerful is its gravity that it can rip planets from their orbits. Already several planets orbited the huge fortress, and Robotnik would not rest until Sonic's world was in his clutches as well!

Already the world is being drawn to the Death Egg. Sonic has to act quickly to stop Robotnik. Tails has managed to create a working teleport pod that can send Sonic to the Death Egg. There was no time to contact Knuckles, so Tails will stay behind and operate the teleport pod and Sonic will travel to the heart of the Death Egg and destroy it.

But as Sonic was teleporting, one of the small planets surrounding the Death Egg changed course and intercepted Sonic! Sonic found himself on a strange world, surrounded by Badnik robots! Already the inhabitants of this world had been captured and changed into his evil minions. Robotnik had prepared a cunning trap, and Sonic had walked right into it.

Everything had gone as Robotnik had planned. He knew that Sonic would try to get to his new Death Egg, and had changed the creatures called Mips into Badniks. Then by controlling the planet's orbit, he had led Sonic right into his trap!

"HA! HA! Now I've got you, you spiky blue freak! You won't stop me this time!"

Sonic must free the captive Mips, make his way to the new Death Egg, and destroy it quickly. If he fails, the world will belong to Robotnik forever!

Only one thing is definite. Tails does not make some sort of teleportation device, rather sonic is on little planet when the giant death egg appears and it's pulled into its orbit. One thing needs deciding. How sonic gets from planet to planet. So far, sonic uses little planet as a spaceship, sorta like super Mario galaxy 2 (zigzax) or sonic goes from planet to planet via special stage. (me) I haven't decided that yet, so I need people to hash out ideas for me.

EDIT: I accidentally put the spoiler tab in the wrong place...

EDIT 2: The spaceship idea was Jassbec's, (sorry buddy)

Zigzax came up with the idea use the mips as flickies, as I didn't want to use them that much.

Edited by Mr. Potatobadger

This is the thread for story ideas, concepts, tips, criticism, anything about my remake of Sonic Xtreme. It has the storyline of the one that is actually titled Sonic Xtreme. To give you an idea, here is the storyline from Sonic Retro.

SONIC XTREME - by Yasuhara Hirokazu and Richard Wheeler

Story

After Robotnik's defeat at the Floating Island, things returned to normal for Sonic and his friends. Robotnik however, had not been idle, and returned with an even grander scheme to conquer the world.

Robotnik has rebuilt his Death Egg fortress, larger than Sonic's entire world! So powerful is its gravity that it can rip planets from their orbits. Already several planets orbited the huge fortress, and Robotnik would not rest until Sonic's world was in his clutches as well!

Already the world is being drawn to the Death Egg. Sonic has to act quickly to stop Robotnik. Tails has managed to create a working teleport pod that can send Sonic to the Death Egg. There was no time to contact Knuckles, so Tails will stay behind and operate the teleport pod and Sonic will travel to the heart of the Death Egg and destroy it.

But as Sonic was teleporting, one of the small planets surrounding the Death Egg changed course and intercepted Sonic! Sonic found himself on a strange world, surrounded by Badnik robots! Already the inhabitants of this world had been captured and changed into his evil minions. Robotnik had prepared a cunning trap, and Sonic had walked right into it.

Everything had gone as Robotnik had planned. He knew that Sonic would try to get to his new Death Egg, and had changed the creatures called Mips into Badniks. Then by controlling the planet's orbit, he had led Sonic right into his trap!

"HA! HA! Now I've got you, you spiky blue freak! You won't stop me this time!"

Sonic must free the captive Mips, make his way to the new Death Egg, and destroy it quickly. If he fails, the world will belong to Robotnik forever!

Only one thing is definite. Tails does not make some sort of teleportation device, rather sonic is on little planet when the giant death egg appears and it's pulled into its orbit. One thing needs deciding. How sonic gets from planet to planet. So far, sonic uses little planet as a spaceship, sorta like super Mario galaxy 2 (zigzax) or sonic goes from planet to planet via special stage. (me) I haven't decided that yet, so I need people to hash out ideas for me.

The spaceship idea was mine, Zigzax idea was to replace flickies with mips.

So, zigzax and I did A LOT of brain storming this weekend, and we got A LOT done. And by done I mean figured out. We have the main storyline like 80% figured out. All we need is how the last 3 levels will go. The planned levels we have so far go as this. Keep in mind these are all different planets.

Little Planet Act 1: Starts out on Never Lake, Ends on Stardust Speedway.

Little Planet Act 2: Starts on stardust Speedway, ends at Palmtree Panic.

Little Planet Act 3: Starts on Palmtree Panic, ends with a cutscene that shows the Galaxy Fortress (the giant death egg) appearing, and pulling Little Planet into its orbit.

Soundtrack: Correspond with the current location

Retrocircuit Sanctuary Act 1 and 2: A very eerie place that appears to be the watery ruins of an ancient technical race. Features lots of fog in the backround, (for extra eerieness) strange malfunctioning badniks, and the the Galaxy Fortress looming overhead far away. The Galaxy Fortress will be dark, almost a silhouette. Also features a gimmick that is similar to Sky Sanctuary's Teleporters to transport from the water sections to the above ground sections.

Retrocircuit Sanctuary Boss Act: Unknown. (Zigzax and I want the bosses in the game to have the epic action packed feeling that the bosses in eggman hates furries has)

Soundtrack: Something eerie.

??? Act 1and 2: I have not talked to zigzax about this one, but the idea is a very dark where you can barely tell the difference between the tiles and and the backround, and it is hard to navigate. I don't know anything else, it's just an idea. The name might actually be ???, or just Zone, but I don't know yet

Soundtrack: Lots of creepy noises probably.

Boss: Unknown.

Neo Shift Act 1: Your Typical desert level.

Neo Shift Act 2: Your typical snow level.

NeoShift Boss : Probably something with snow and sand.

Soundtrack: Same track for each act but a different mix for each to make it feel like how it did in BTS.

Emert X Act 1: This planet is like what BTS did with lost levels zone. It features some of the levels that sonic Xtreme was going to have. you've probably figured out by now that Emert X is Xtreme backwards. This is probably not the final name. Act 1 will be like Jade Gully.

Emert X Act 2: Will be like Red Sands.

Emert X act Boss Act Will take place in that weird purple limbo called new worlds in most videos. No idea what the boss will be like.

Impending Crashcourse act 1 and 2: We don't have anything definite for this one, but it will be feel like crisis city in terms of how to physically feel. Panicy and, you know, in a crisis. The planet is a smaller planet that was put on a direct collision course towards the galaxy fortress, and Sonic needs to escape.

Impending Crashcourse Boss Act: Features a large robot (similar in size to Death Egg Robot) that was sent to the planet to make sure Sonic will die. When defeated, the cutscene that follows is sonic traveling to the final planet by transforming into super sonic using the final chaos emerald that was inside the robot, the emeralds are a part of the story in this game, the super emeralds and maybe the time stones are not. The planet makes the hole to enter the Galaxy Fortress.

Soundtrack: Act one will be like Sonic Advance's x-zone, act 2 like Sonic Advance 2's True Area 53.

Just to get this out of the way... the galaxy Fortress is what makes the big death egg look big. It will be a thin outer shell (not thin compared to the planets)

that is meant to be the place where the planets stuck into its orbit crash into. It's basically meant to be damaged, and still look like a big death egg. The core is the original Death Egg. you know the big hourglass type thing in the middle of S&K's Deat Egg? Well, that's a big chamber that can increase gravity BY ALOT. The Death Egg's shell (the Galaxy Fortress) is supported by HUGE metal beams.

Galaxy Fortress Act 1: Look up sonic xtreme galaxy fortress. It's "supposed" to be the death egg. But the way the level is structured and the backround isn't too convincing... That's where I got the idea of the Galaxy Fortress and Death Egg being 2 separate things.

Galaxy Fortress Act 2: A joyride down one of the huge beams into the actual Death Egg. You play as super sonic to fight the gravity of the Death Egg.

Soundtrack: Probably a remix of Space Queens.

Death Egg Act 1: Similar gameplay to S&K's Death Egg.

Death Egg Boss Act: Pfpt, no idea.

Soundtrack: Who knows...

Some weird final boss that you need the super emeralds or the time stones to access Boss Act: Read the current stage title.

Wow. That was a long post. but wait! There's more! I'm stil debating if I should add the time stones, and if I do, I want to make some sort of "time sonic" super form if I do. The reason you can't face the final final boss without the super emeralds is because super sonic isn't fast enough to escape the ramped up gravity. If "time sonic" is implemented, he will probably be green, and his role will be to defeat the final final boss and use time to use the chaos control on all the planets and reset them to there original position and destroy the Galaxy Fortress. Not sure yet...

GIVE ME FADBACK, IDEAS, CRITICISM, HATE, LOVE, MORE IDEAS, SUGGESTIONS, AND WHATEVER THE HECK YOU CAN THINK OF!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Poe describing his game so far.

It's nice to see your game is really going somewhere, to be honest the level names and stuff really fit with the "Sonic X-treme" thing you're going for.

I wish you good luck my friend!

Might as well post the concept we came up with for Retrocircuit sanctuary:

[edit] i forgot how big the image really was, so i put it in a spoiler

Retrocircuitsanctuary_zps58972759.jpg

Note: this is just to represent what the level itself will feel like, many things can and possibly will be changed.

It's nice to see your game is really going somewhere, to be honest the level names and stuff really fit with the "Sonic X-treme" thing you're going for.

I wish you good luck my friend!

Thank you, kind sir! I hope for the best with your game as well! Your thread has had some fantastic ideas thrown around, i can't wait to play.

Might as well post the concept we came up with for Retrocircuit sanctuary:

[edit] i forgot how big the image really was, so i put it in a spoiler

[qimg]http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u638/Zig13/Retrocircuitsanctuary_zps58972759.jpg[/qimg]

Note: this is just to represent what the level itself will feel like, many things can and possibly will be changed.

I forgot to ask for you to post the picture, but i had kinda figured you would post it anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there folks, been a while since the last update, but i come with good news!

And those news are...a sprite update!

SonicXtremespriteexamplev32_zpsdb851e1c.png

The sprite itself has come along pretty well...considering that it has been fixed by mouse:

SonicXtremespriteprogress_zps41005f5b.png

Pretty big diference huh?

feedback(positive/negative, either way it helps) will be apreciated.

Hello there folks, been a while since the last update, but i come with good news!

And those news are...a sprite update!

[qimg]http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u638/Zig13/SonicXtremespriteexamplev32_zpsdb851e1c.png[/qimg]

The sprite itself has come along pretty well...considering that it has been fixed by mouse:

[qimg]http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u638/Zig13/SonicXtremespriteprogress_zps41005f5b.png[/qimg]

Pretty big diference huh?

feedback(positive/negative, either way it helps) will be apreciated.

It definitely looks better!

• 5 weeks later...

(bump)Quick question to those that still care:

MrPoetatoebadger and i have been wondering if we should try to add the gameplay features of Lost World (controlling run-speed, parkour system, etc) into the game, we'd have to get this out of the way as soon as possible to continue development, since we'd need to base the game around these features.

What do you people think? should we try to emulate the lost world controls, or should we stay with classic-sonic controls?

Leave a post with your opinion below.

(bump)Quick question to those that still care:

MrPoetatoebadger and i have been wondering if we should try to add the gameplay features of Lost World (controlling run-speed, parkour system, etc) into the game, we'd have to get this out of the way as soon as possible to continue development, since we'd need to base the game around these features.

What do you people think? should we try to emulate the lost world controls, or should we stay with classic-sonic controls?

Leave a post with your opinion below.

It sounds like a good idea , but I think there should be an option to switch between LW parkour and classic controls.

No worries, we will still retain the classic feel of the levels, thing is we want to try something new while retaining the feel of a classic game.

[edit] @astropirana: theres a problem with that, the levels would have to be designed around these controls, so having both of them as options would either make the levels un-beatable as classic, or pointles to have the features as "lost world" so we need to shoot for one or the other.

sorry for doubleposting, but here's another question: would you like to see a local gravity system in the game?

(like what sonic xtreme was gonna have and what lost world will have)

The local gravity sistem would esentialy give the player the ability to walk on certain walls and floors, a-la Xtreme.

Take project Axsx's crystal frost demo as an example of what we'd like to re-create in 2d using sonic worlds(if possible)

sorry for doubleposting, but here's another question: would you like to see a local gravity system in the game?

(like what sonic xtreme was gonna have and what lost world will have)

The local gravity sistem would esentialy give the player the ability to walk on certain walls and floors, a-la Xtreme.

Take project Axsx's crystal frost demo as an example of what we'd like to re-create in 2d using sonic worlds(if possible)

Seems like a good idea!

But if you're planning on doing fancy things with the camera in MMF2...it's going to be an incredible pain in the ass. (Seriously.)

Umm, for anyone who cares, I have an update for the game. As you probably know, I'm porting to delta. Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles will be playable, as well as 2 othe unlockable characters, Mighty, and Metal Sonic.

There will be a hidden Mighty inside every stage. He will be VERY hard to find. Flying battery's special stage rings hard.

I will not tell you how metal will be unlocked, but I can tell you he will be able to fly by holding X.

I joined another forum recently, and I am like the 19th person to join. Jassbec told me about it, it's called Sonic Games Dimension. That is here.

I made a post with every screenshot to date, excluding a few insignificant ones.

NRP23LO.png

u0cpNZF.png

E6Hp8Yi.png

uacCAKd.png Original title screen.

rTD76zL.png

nxOtIXi.png

R4vVGo1.png

fyTzUXV.png 2nd title screen.

dz79ZGl.png A fake goalpost I made when I got bored one day.

QMAhNUi.png

zy7iwAq.png A concept for a hub world, with a sonic sprite I made caught in midblink.

wQdIQmk.png A failed BG test.

YloYS2W.png A tile test

YC2BQ9L.png A mockup of the first boss.

B0e3NGA.png Actual boss screenshot.

Around this time, I started porting my game to a newer engine, along with a whole new sprite set.

DnUPvBc.png This shows off tails, who will be jumping in a "regular" ball for once!

4GBey8H.png Sonic, tails, and knuckles will be playable, (as well as Mighty and Metal Sonic) and I changed there sprites to the mod.gen sprites, because I wanted something that fit alltogether but werent the original Genesis sprites either. There are very few super sonic sprites for the mod.gen project, so I resorted to creating my own.

3NCdqZe.png The flying animation.

f5BXnoE.png SS in game.

• 8 months later...

Oh hey, I have a thread for my game don't I. Welp. It's been a while. Picked this game up again, dropped a lot of stuff off of this, to make the game feel more classic. Deserving of the name sonic 4, but not actually being called sonic 4 because that would piss people off.

Welp. Screenies:

h78P43s.png

LTJYZZr.png

First picture is the intro cutscene. Let me explain: Start up the game, you got your usual SEEEGAAAA flimflam, diclaimer, all that jazz. Well ya know how some games have an intro cutscene? This one does too. It has sonic and tails riding off peacefully with the lil dolphins and all (right after s3k, ya dig). Welp. Mecha sonic (a different one, mind you) comes and nabs your emeralds. Welp. Of course, you about to turn around and chase after him so you can get your emadoobs back. This is where sky pursuit comes in. I think it's a neat idea. It's like you play the intro cutscene.

Anyways

You'll see the big picture in a few days when I post a video of this whole thing. This short, playable intro scene ends with a short mecha sonic fight in the air, that automatically ends with the tornado crashing on the shore of never lake. Then it cuts to the title screen.

The second picture is the WIP of the data select screen. It's incomplete for the most part, but yea. The real game starts when you make a profile.

In closing: What do you think of the whole playable intro idea? Zigzax disapproves. Should it be a one time playable thing when you start up a profile with either sonic or tails? Or should it stay where it is?

Btw, most of the previous posts in this thread are null as of now. Ignore them.

Edited by Mr. Potatobadger
  • Like 4

The playable intro sounds nice, but I think you should drop the titlecard and HUD elements from it. Otherwise, I interpret it as the first level.

You could have a variable that checks if it's the first time running, so you play out the intro. If the value is not 0, then skip the intro, but make it so that it comes up again if the title screen is left hanging for some time.

Guest Mr Lange

Deserving of the name sonic 4, but not actually being called sonic 4 because that would piss people off.

It's not like that stopped Sega. Then again it's not like they have any sense whatsoever. If Sonic XG were called Sonic 4, I would respect it as the official version. Hell I pretty much do so anyway.

Well if you've dropped a lot of this project, I'm wondering what you have planned now. If you're intending for this to be a continuance of the trilogy as if it were Sonic 4, I wouldn't do a CD based storyline. In that case you might as well call it Sonic CD 2. Sonic XG got it right by continuing the Death Egg story just as it was. This is why Sega's Sonic 4 would've been better off titled Sonic CD 2; it took more after CD than the trilogy, and they tried to connect it to CD's storyline, while releasing it alongside the Sonic CD remake. So, things to consider.

The playable intro sounds nice, but I think you should drop the titlecard and HUD elements from it. Otherwise, I interpret it as the first level.

You could have a variable that checks if it's the first time running, so you play out the intro. If the value is not 0, then skip the intro, but make it so that it comes up again if the title screen is left hanging for some time.

Great ideas! I think I will definitely do what you say with the title screen. If you notice, there is no time, score, or life HUD objects. Just rings. And the title card is largely diminished from the actual title card:

KfRpjYI.png

The actual titlecard has the act number, those spike strips, and a fade. The sky pursuit doesn't.

It's not like that stopped Sega. Then again it's not like they have any sense whatsoever. If Sonic XG were called Sonic 4, I would respect it as the official version. Hell I pretty much do so anyway.

Well if you've dropped a lot of this project, I'm wondering what you have planned now. If you're intending for this to be a continuance of the trilogy as if it were Sonic 4, I wouldn't do a CD based storyline. In that case you might as well call it Sonic CD 2. Sonic XG got it right by continuing the Death Egg story just as it was. This is why Sega's Sonic 4 would've been better off titled Sonic CD 2; it took more after CD than the trilogy, and they tried to connect it to CD's storyline, while releasing it alongside the Sonic CD remake. So, things to consider.

Good points, Lange. It's not entirely CD based though. I might somehow remove never lake and any cd thing entirely, just for these reasons. But I wanted to use never lake to get mighty and metal sonic in the mix: Mighty lives on never lake; Mighty found and restored metal.

News: Check out this little Sega screen I made! Free to use, no credit required.

.mfa: http://www.mediafire.com/download/vf3h4l51188q5ui/SEGA.mfa

.exe: http://www.mediafire.com/download/apqdvqt0arcue5k/SEGA.exe