A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Poor, poor Sonic Team.

Serephim

Anyone remember the Hedgehog Engine? Of course you do. Because it made Unleashed gorgeous.

sonic-unleashed-20080820052346918_640w.jpg

This was credited to Yoshihisa Hashimoto

yoshihisayasimoto001vs4.jpg?w=450

a Sonic Team/Sega employee. He was credited with designing and programming this engine. I looked him up on Sega Retro, and this is what they have on him:

Sonic Adventure (1999) — Enemy Programmer, A-Life System Programmer

Sonic Adventure 2 (2001) — Lead Chao Programmer

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle (2001) — Lead Chao Programmer, Tiny Chao Garden Game Designer

Sonic Advance (2002) — Programmer

Sonic Advance 2 (2003) — Programmer

Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut (2003) — A-Life System Director, A-Life System Designer, A-Life System Programmer

Sonic Pinball Party (2003) — Programmer

Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) — Special Thanks

sonic:Night of the Werehog (2008) — Special Thanks

Sonic Unleashed (PS3 & Xbox 360 Version) (2008) — Director, Lead Game Designer, Hedgehog Engine Technical Director

Sonic Unleashed (Wii & PS2 Version) (2008) — Director

Hands-on during all the good times. At least we can't blame him for anything.

Sometime around 2009 (before Colors was released), it was stated that Hashimoto decided to ditch Sonic Team.

He went to join Square Enix.

Being the Squaresoft nut that I am, i've been following FFXIII Versus, which at this point is basically vaporware at this point. Beltman Nomura at one point attempted to update the fans of Versus on the status of the game by revealing that they were overhauling the lighting engine

luminous-square-enix-engine-graphical-photo-comparison.jpg

...using something they called Luminous Engine.

And then, a few E3's Later...

luminous-engine-final-fantasy-versus-xiii.jpg

Square Enix shows a tech demo for the Luminous Engine, which put the embarass hammer on the Unreal Engine 4 Tech Demo, which was far less impressive technologically.

I found this very interesting to watch.

original.jpg

Oh, and speaking of, you see that dude that's demonstrating the engine in the video link above? Guess who!

yoshihisayasimoto001vs4.jpg?w=450

Talent Pooling at its finest.

Being behind just about all the best things about Sonic in it's 3D lifetime (Chao Garden and the graphical merits of the Hedgehog Engine), I think it's yet another terrible blow to the future of Sonic Team and Sonic. They lost another innovator. Not that this is surprising to anyone though.

Don't be surprised if Sonic Next-Gen happens to be uglier than Unleashed. (Or just jumps on Unreal 4.)

Even if he left SEGA, they still own the Hedgehog Engine, so I really doubt it would end up looking worse than Unleashed. I mean, the only difference between Unleashed and Generations graphics-wise is that Generations was a lot brighter.

Besides, I'm pretty sure they're really not trying to go for photo-realism anyway, and we really don't want Sonic falling into the uncanny valley.

I believe there are two sides to the "gameplay vs graphics" story. While it's true gameplay is important, the most well-recieved games have always been well known for excelling at both, making them complement one another. Sonic the Hedgehog was never an exception to this rule.

It has alot less to do with the graphical engine itself and alot more to do with the fact it even exists. I believe it's really a lack of innovators like this guy that is the reason Sonic has been in a rut for so long. In a way, he's about the closest thing to Yuji Naka we've had since he left. He pretty much paved the way for Colors and Generations, and Generations really wasn't anything more than Unleashed with some minor physics tweaks. And for whatever anyone says about Sonic Unleashed as a whole game, the general consensus was that the Sonic gameplay was great. Even if he wasn't made to design the next Sonic Game, he's still a lost asset.

There's a reason he was appointed lead director of Unleashed, and there's a reason he was subsequently picked up by Square. Not shortly after leaving Sonic Team, the guy is hosting the main event for their E3 Tech Demo presentation with his name on it. It's not about the graphics he gave, it's the whole package. He's a door opener.

Takashi Iizuka is still here, and he's pretty much one of the only big names from the older Sonic Titles that still exists in the current Sonic Team. Hashimoto wasn't present for Colors and it turned out to probably be the best sonic game this generation. But as far as ambitious efforts go, Hashimoto helped to make current sonic flow possible as it is today. And Sonic Unleashed was QUITE the eye opener when it was released, something that hasn't happened since Adventure 2 really.

As for graphics vs gameplay :

We have the tech now to make games with incredible visuals. The horsepower in consoles and -especially- PCs is at a point where game developers can do some amazing things. I think it would be a waste to not utilize that, otherwise why bother having new consoles?

Yes gameplay shouldn't be forgotten and should always be the core focus of the game, but a game as a whole is a complete package. It could be the most amazing game in the world but if the audio is just some guy pitchshifting his voice up to alvin and the chipmunk levels saying "PENIS" over and over again, you'd probably have to mute it ... which would sour your experience. Odd example I know but the sound effects, the music, and the graphics all do their part alongside the gameplay to create a whole product.

I think people often get confused that great visuals also mean 'more realistic' when art direction also plays a huge part. We also have the power to realize more of the art direction developers aim for in their concept/official artwork than ever before. I really appreciate that. A lot.

The thing is, if I want an 8bit/16bit/whateverbit old-school game there are plenty of those still being made and distributed either for free, from devs site's themselves, and steam/other digital distribution networks. Even then, plenty of those games still have the potential to be beautiful and 'polished turds'.

If people wanna progress graphics further and further I say let them.

As for graphics vs gameplay :

We have the tech now to make games with incredible visuals. The horsepower in consoles and -especially- PCs is at a point where game developers can do some amazing things. I think it would be a waste to not utilize that, otherwise why bother having new consoles?

Yes gameplay shouldn't be forgotten and should always be the core focus of the game, but a game as a whole is a complete package. It could be the most amazing game in the world but if the audio is just some guy pitchshifting his voice up to alvin and the chipmunk levels saying "PENIS" over and over again, you'd probably have to mute it ... which would sour your experience. Odd example I know but the sound effects, the music, and the graphics all do their part alongside the gameplay to create a whole product.

I think people often get confused that great visuals also mean 'more realistic' when art direction also plays a huge part. We also have the power to realize more of the art direction developers aim for in their concept/official artwork than ever before. I really appreciate that. A lot.

The thing is, if I want an 8bit/16bit/whateverbit old-school game there are plenty of those still being made and distributed either for free, from devs site's themselves, and steam/other digital distribution networks. Even then, plenty of those games still have the potential to be beautiful and 'polished turds'.

If people wanna progress graphics further and further I say let them.

That's the way I see it anyway. Graphics =/= Realism. If a videogame is a work of art, the graphics engine is your canvas. Newer games like Uncharted, Grand Theft Auto 4/5, and Metal Gear Solid 4, all wonderful examples of when technology digs deeper than the polygon count.

The same counts for Sonic Unleashed/Generations. The lighting engine, the quality of the environments, and the ridiculous speed at which you move are all factors to keep in mind, and is what the Hedgehog Engine allowed Sega to accomplish. The visuals aren't the only thing that was improved upon. Beautiful visuals are not a plus -- they are part of the definition of the experience. It would not be the same feat without them.

Every console jump allows developers to disregard the limits of the previous generation, but the technicians who were able to dig deeper into the techniques used will always be able to accomplish more. Having designers on your team who are able to look past these limits are key to innovating your series. Square Enix is aware of this. So are Epic Games, Crytek, EA, the dudes behind Frostbite, Havok, Nvidia, whatever.

With regard to Hashimoto's Hedgehog Engine / Luminous Engine, im aware he is not the only mind responsible. But imagine how much more Sega would be able to squeeze out of a Next-Gen Sonic Adventure title with that kind of talent to consult? It pushes back the walls and limits, regardless of the graphical style they decide to adopt.

Also, it is a cinematic sequence, so we don't know how everything will be handled when it boils down to gameplay and how stable the framerate will be for the amount of processing at runtime.

It looks pretty overall, but it want to see it in -true- action.

It's a tech demo for next-gen hardware, but Square already said they're designing the engine to trinkle down into existing hardware as well. Final Fantasy Versus XIII is supposed to be using its benefits, but at this point nobody even knows if it's still a current-generation product. I personally question whether or not it still exists.

Regardless, the technology used will find use in everything they do onwards.

...Despite the increased graphical prowess of Final Fantasy: A Realm Reborn and members of its development also having worked on Square Enix’s impressive Luminous Studio engine, Yoshida dismisses the notion that that technology could be used in an MMO. In fact, the producer jokes that a MMO run on Luminous would probably require the power of a PlayStation 5.

I doubt anything would consistently run like that, but once again, it's a tech demo. That isn't really the point.

It's like restaurant food.

Presentation is a big part, but not essential. You can eat a tasty meal even if it's just heaped on the plate. But if the food tastes bad, it doesn't matter how good it looks, it will still be terrible.

This is possibly the silliest argument against the sonic franchise's success I've ever seen. The gameplay is all that really matters when you consider that the games are about a bunch of cartoon characters! (Sonic 06 and Black Knight notwithstanding) All that matters is the style and presentation. Pushing the graphics on level 5 doesn't make a real difference and never has aside from adding to the presentation. I mean look at Ratchet and Clank, the benefits it gained from better rendering were largely used to enhance what was already there for it's style.

I have no clue why people are getting their panties in a bunch when people are asking for graphics that utilize the better hardware.

The tech is there - use it. As long as the gameplay is solid if they can squeeze their resources into utilizing said tech then I don't see a problem. People act as though when someone wants better graphics that that is all they care about, I am operating under the assumption that everyone here already understands gameplay comes first.

And again, to re-iterate, realistic graphics =/= pushing the graphics up to 11. It depends on the demographic/style of the game. Art direction has everything to do with it and if we can use tech to make the art direction as best as it can be it'd be a waste not to do so. I mean if you're aiming to play upon games of old as a homage I see no problem in that either (I still really enjoy old-school looking games), but everytime graphical discussions come up people act like progression in that area is the fucking plague or something.

This is possibly the silliest argument against the sonic franchise's success I've ever seen. The gameplay is all that really matters when you consider that the games are about a bunch of cartoon characters! (Sonic 06 and Black Knight notwithstanding) All that matters is the style and presentation. Pushing the graphics on level 5 doesn't make a real difference and never has aside from adding to the presentation. I mean look at Ratchet and Clank, the benefits it gained from better rendering were largely used to enhance what was already there for it's style.

You are missing the entire point.

This topic wasn't stressing that Sonic Team was missing out on a new graphical engine. It was showing that Sonic Team was once composed of highly talented individuals, like Hashimoto. And are now short yet another one of their best. This is a guy jumping from Sonic Team to one of the largest videogame developers in Japan. Hell -- Square Enix is one of the biggest entertainment companies in Japan period. I believe the phrase i used was "Talent Pooling".

Like i said before, it's not so much the graphical engines themselves. It's more the capacity to create and utilize the technology in the design of a Sonic game, and that is exactly what Hashimoto did. It's what Yuji Naka did as well, and it USED to be what Sonic Team was all about. In the past, Sonic Team was always well-known for jaw-dropping graphics and innovative gameplay to boot. Sonic the Hedgehog, Ristar, Nights, Phantasy Star Online, all known for the same shit -- Addictive gameplay and Kickawesome graphics. This all this knee-jerk talk about Graphics vs. Gameplay doesn't even have any place here. For the greater stretch of the last few generations, Sonic games have been not only lackluster in gameplay but pretty ugly to boot. And this could be attributed to many things i'd like to think. But if you'd ask me personally, i'd say the shortcomings are closely related to eachother.

As for graphics, a singular focus on graphics was clearly not the issue plaguing previous Sonic games. I'd say Sonic Heroes was pretty nifty looking for its time, and SatSR was...alright? But Shadow the Hedgehog, Phantasy Star Universe and Sonic 06 were so far underneath the curve it was almost painful for anyone who had played previous iterations.

As for Hashimoto, Sonic Unleashed was the first game in YEARS to actually secure a point in visual flair, which ironically also was the start of a Sonic playstyle which has now birthed two well received (OUTSIDE the fanbase, mind you) Sonic games. He not only supplied Sega with the gameplay formula, but the technology to allow Colors and Generations to succeed.

So the point i guess i was trying to make was, with the onset of a new generation of consoles and a new big Sonic Title, this dude would have been one hell of an asset towards the production.

There's no issue with utilizing better hardware for the sake of achieving a certain aesthetic, but good grief, the Hedgehog Engine isn't exactly the greatest of engines. It severely limits gameplay opportunities due to the way it works, and its capabilities were already outdated merely months after Unleashed was released. Not to mention it is horribly optimized, especially on the hardware it was designed for.

But I digress. I think the next graphical revolution is gonna come from Euclideon's Unlimited Detail tech, rather than anything Square-Enix or Epic Games creates.

Yes, I am aware that Unlimited Detail is a rather contentious subject, with many believing it to be a hoax or a scam. By conventional wisdom in 3D graphics, such real-time detail without a massive jump in hardware is unthinkable. However, I've actually done my research on my subject, and kept tabs on new developments, and I think Euclideon have indeed done what many would consider unthinkable - and in such a manner that it is far, far more efficient than polygon-based rendering could ever hope to be. The demo they showed back in August 2011 was entirely in software, on a modest laptop, for God's sake.

I also think that Unlimited Detail could revolutionize the way developers create 3D assets and engines. The rendering method is so utterly efficient that rendering model geometry is utterly trivial, leaving a ton of space for other things for the GPU to do. As well, not only are artists no longer limited by polygon limits, but also can scan in real-world objects via laser scanning, which I imagine will have some very cool applications.

More recently, Euclideon have been showing their geospacial application of this technology, Geoverse, to people in the geospacial industry behind closed doors. They've also been updating their website indicating their their proper website is coming soon. Bruce Dell has stated that when the next demonstration (which will likely feature animation, proper lighting, art assets by ex-THQ artists, and maybe physics, and be playable) is released, the Unlimited Detail SDK will be released along with it. Judging by his other comments, it's a fairly educated guess that it'll happen within a couple of months. Can't wait.

There's no issue with utilizing better hardware for the sake of achieving a certain aesthetic, but good grief, the Hedgehog Engine isn't exactly the greatest of engines. It severely limits gameplay opportunities due to the way it works, and its capabilities were already outdated merely months after Unleashed was released. Not to mention it is horribly optimized, especially on the hardware it was designed for.

I seem to remember them stressing the programming in the graphics engine being what allowed them to do what they did in Unleashed. Or, maybe i should say, allowed them to do what they did while simultaneously looking like it does. Which is something entirely different. About the only thing I can fathom the Hedgehog Engine actually limiting is the use of environmental lighting while maintaining the visual style of the game with the baked lighting. From what i understand, the light sources arent able to be used with dynamic scenes because it can't move. But this means very little for Sonic the Hedgehog games. At least it did for Sonic Unleashed/Colors/generations, where the average time you spend in most areas on the level is a few second fractions at best. But the technology existing beforehand and proof of application aren't really the same thing. Engines are only just now starting to get serious about advanced lighting effects because they 1) seem to produce the most noticeable results, and 2) are very resource hungry to maintain. Which makes the Hedgehog Engine less of a technological feat and more of a very clever use of application.

As for optimization, both Unleashed and Generations run pretty goddamn crappy on Xbox/PS3 (especially the Werehog Stages), but Generations runs pretty damn smooth on my PC and im using an outdated graphics card. TBH i'm surprised it was even playable. Not to mention my PC version looks superior to the versions played on PS3. In the PS3 version of Unleashed every now and then, the game will reach a point where it can maintain 60 FPS (most notably the Holoska stages) and it looks fucking amazing. It's a shame this wasn't a consistent effect because i think a high framerate is required to really appreciate the visual style (and gameplay) of that game.

But I digress. I think the next graphical revolution is gonna come from Euclideon's Unlimited Detail tech, rather than anything Square-Enix or Epic Games creates.

Yes, I am aware that Unlimited Detail is a rather contentious subject, with many believing it to be a hoax or a scam. By conventional wisdom in 3D graphics, such real-time detail without a massive jump in hardware is unthinkable. However, I've actually done my research on my subject, and kept tabs on new developments, and I think Euclideon have indeed done what many would consider unthinkable - and in such a manner that it is far, far more efficient than polygon-based rendering could ever hope to be. The demo they showed back in August 2011 was entirely in software, on a modest laptop, for God's sake.

I also think that Unlimited Detail could revolutionize the way developers create 3D assets and engines. The rendering method is so utterly efficient that rendering model geometry is utterly trivial, leaving a ton of space for other things for the GPU to do. As well, not only are artists no longer limited by polygon limits, but also can scan in real-world objects via laser scanning, which I imagine will have some very cool applications.

More recently, Euclideon have been showing their geospacial application of this technology, Geoverse, to people in the geospacial industry behind closed doors. They've also been updating their website indicating their their proper website is coming soon. Bruce Dell has stated that when the next demonstration (which will likely feature animation, proper lighting, art assets by ex-THQ artists, and maybe physics, and be playable) is released, the Unlimited Detail SDK will be released along with it. Judging by his other comments, it's a fairly educated guess that it'll happen within a couple of months. Can't wait.

Lol...you're talking about those guys with the voxel engine?

Yeah, i can't wait to see what happens when they attempt to release a playable demo of their "REVOLUTIONARY" point cloud technology that has existed forever and provides "UNLIMITED" realtime detail on a machine with very finite limitations. The difference between rendering a static environment and maintaining one that actually does stuff is something completely different entirely. Kind of like the difference between the Hedgehog Engine's global illumination being baked vs. calculated in real-time. Two entirely different feats.

I will be COMPLETELY impressed with that if they can create and adequately animate a model with that, incorporate physics and make it work in an interactive gaming environment. Otherwise, the only thing i've seen those guys do is pitch a beautiful camera reel demo, claim they are able to over-unify their processing power, say the industry is attacking them, and then ask for money. Which spells "complete bullshit" to me.

It seems like the biggest thing between them acquiring funding is "THE REST OF THE JEALOUS INDUSTRY", which sounds alot to me like "The secret government plot", which usually equates to a bunch of horseshit. We've all heard this story before. Their proof will be in their pudding...and seeing as they're pitching videogame technology, it'll be pretty damn hard to skim by on. So if it's anything less than bullshit I can't wait either; not holding my breath though.

I think it's probably best to not really argue about the Hedgehog Engine, but I do think it's long been been surpassed.

Lol...you're talking about those guys with the voxel engine?

Yeah, i can't wait to see what happens when they attempt to release a playable demo of their "REVOLUTIONARY" point cloud technology that has existed forever and provides "UNLIMITED" realtime detail on a machine with very finite limitations. The difference between rendering a static environment and maintaining one that actually does stuff is something completely different entirely. Kind of like the difference between the Hedgehog Engine's global illumination being baked vs. calculated in real-time. Two entirely different feats.

However, the principle doesn't really change - the renderer picks out one voxel for every pixel on the screen. This is also true for animated models in this renderer. The challenge when it comes to moving objects is more due to the fact that very few people have actually bothered animating point clouds, so they had to do it from scratch, and completely independent of how polygons are animated.

Yes, obviously animations will be a bit more intensive than static environments, but when you have a renderer that efficient (once again, it runs in software at a decent framerate), it doesn't make much difference anyway.

I will be COMPLETELY impressed with that if they can create and adequately animate a model with that, incorporate physics and make it work in an interactive gaming environment. Otherwise, the only thing i've seen those guys do is pitch a beautiful camera reel demo, claim they are able to over-unify their processing power, say the industry is attacking them, and then ask for money. Which spells "complete bullshit" to me.

It seems like the biggest thing between them acquiring funding is "THE REST OF THE JEALOUS INDUSTRY", which sounds alot to me like "The secret government plot", which usually equates to a bunch of horseshit. We've all heard this story before. Their proof will be in their pudding...and seeing as they're pitching videogame technology, it'll be pretty damn hard to skim by on. So if it's anything less than bullshit I can't wait either; not holding my breath though.

Firstly, Bruce Dell has outright stated that they've been focusing on animation and physics ever since the previous demonstration was released, so, yeah, that'll be a given. He's even shown footage from earlier versions of the technology that feature rudimentary technology (as seen in the 40-minute interview vid you can find on Youtube), demonstrating that animation is quite possible.

Secondly, they aren't asking for funding. They got it a year before the demonstration, a $2 million grant from the Australian federal government via the Commercialization Australia initiative, the largest funding ever granted by them. Hell, Bruce Dell has outright stated that they've been turning down offers from potential investors, since they've already got enough funding as it is, as well as for the sake of its internal secrecy.

The company also has two former executives from Australia's largest IT company, Mincom, including its founder. Not to mention they're taking criticism in stride. Everything I've heard about Bruce Dell commenting on critics is mainly rebutting points from Notch, outright stating that he doesn't want to make enemies, and him mentioning that the other execs have remarked that having vocal critics helps exposure, especially when they can eventually prove them wrong.

There may be the old adage "too good to be true", but I've seen enough evidence to figure that there's really no bullshit involved.

I think it's probably best to not really argue about the Hedgehog Engine, but I do think it's long been been surpassed.

It was never really anything worth getting in a craze over. It's no Unreal or Cryengine or Frostbite. Surpass isn't even a term that really applies here.

However, the principle doesn't really change - the renderer picks out one voxel for every pixel on the screen. This is also true for animated models in this renderer. The challenge when it comes to moving objects is more due to the fact that very few people have actually bothered animating point clouds, so they had to do it from scratch, and completely independent of how polygons are animated.

ever wonder why nobody has bothered trying to standardize this technique in gaming before?

Yes, obviously animations will be a bit more intensive than static environments, but when you have a renderer that efficient (once again, it runs in software at a decent framerate), it doesn't make much difference anyway.

how efficient, and efficient at what? The difference between a pretty environment and a pretty environment in a videogame is not the same thing. There are so many CPU-intensive processes to deal with than just "PRETTY ENVIRONMENT" that you have to worry about. Remember The Force Unleashed? Remember Digital Molecular Matter? Remember how cool it looked? Remember how you rarely saw it in-game? Ever wonder why?

Firstly, Bruce Dell has outright stated that they've been focusing on animation and physics ever since the previous demonstration was released, so, yeah, that'll be a given.

It would have been nice to see. It would have allowed them to show their shit off without succumbing to all this criticism.

He's even shown footage from earlier versions of the technology that feature rudimentary technology (as seen in the 40-minute interview vid you can find on Youtube), demonstrating that animation is quite possible.

Possible, of course. But yet to be made applicable. Nobody cares unless it actually works.

Secondly, they aren't asking for funding. They got it a year before the demonstration, a $2 million grant from the Australian federal government

Must be the most idiotic investors on the face of the earth.

via the Commercialization Australia initiative, the largest funding ever granted by them.

Who cares

Hell, Bruce Dell has outright stated that they've been turning down offers from potential investors, since they've already got enough funding as it is, as well as for the sake of its internal secrecy.

Who cares

The company also has two former executives from Australia's largest IT company, Mincom, including its founder.

Who cares

Not to mention they're taking criticism in stride. Everything I've heard about Bruce Dell commenting on critics is mainly rebutting points from Notch, outright stating that he doesn't want to make enemies, and him mentioning that the other execs have remarked that having vocal critics helps exposure, especially when

Who cares

they can eventually prove them wrong.

We will ">eventually<" have cities powered by nuclear fusion reactors too.

There may be the old adage "too good to be true", but I've seen enough evidence to figure that there's really no bullshit involved.

That's just the thing -- you've seen absolutely nothing to disprove any criticism they've acquired. If you've seen anything that would prove it isn't bullshit, you wouldn't have an internet full of people who actually DO this kind of thing calling it bullshit. You've just heard a bunch of flowery promises and credit-building accusations. You've heard a bunch of issues that are only unsolved because "nobody thought of them yet". Yet nobody has seen ANYTHING that has proven that this is an applicable technique, at least not nearly in the scale they're advertising. There are examples of games using voxel engines, and their advantages are very real. But the cost of those benefits are proportional.

You want something that actually shows promise? I remember looking at the

, where the developer

THAT is promise, because he has clear proof of application. Without trying to fool you that limitations don't exist. These Euclideon quacks have been going on for years about this AMAZING technology and have shown absolutely nothing in the scope of actual gameplay application. And until they show at least one single proof of application, they are nothing but big talking attention grabbers. Like every REAL designer of anything, if they had something worth showing off, they wouldn't have to talk so much about it to get you interested. Their whole campaign has been talking about how much better voxels are than polygons, yet they haven't done a single thing anyone hasn't already seen before.

So until they do otherwise...i call bullshit. Euclideon's publicity so closely mimics a typical snake oil campaign it isn't even funny. Crazy claims, [vague] magical technology to support crazy claims, criticism from field peers that are combated with claims of industry supression and promises and no tangible proof.

Just an FYI sereph, all square project have pretty much been put on the back burner, they did an all hands on deck call to get just about the entire company working on FFXIV's remake (which is actually looking really damn awesome) and they're also working on the new FFXIII lightning game (boooo). Aside from that all the other projects are on hold, this kind of pisses me off as now I have a vita and I'd LOVE to have FFX to play in HD, gotta wait now..

Just an FYI sereph, all square project have pretty much been put on the back burner, they did an all hands on deck call to get just about the entire company working on FFXIV's remake (which is actually looking really damn awesome) and they're also working on the new FFXIII lightning game (boooo). Aside from that all the other projects are on hold, this kind of pisses me off as now I have a vita and I'd LOVE to have FFX to play in HD, gotta wait now..

Yeah man i noticed that. For the first time im actually interested in FFXIV though. The remake looks like something i could get behind.

I couldn't give 3 shits less about Lighting Returns though, it looks like it has less work put in than XIII-2 and the XIII series in general has been just a bunch of crap that NOBODY has asked for. I was stoked for FFXHD because i've always wanted to play the international version, and ever since XIII just about the only project i want to see from Square is Versus. It's the only one that looks like it'll be on the level FFXII was.

Sonic Team should just release a game like Sonic Adventure 2, but just Sonic levels. No fucking emerald hunting, no gatdam robo-mech-shooter-through-bullet-hell stages (lol you get a life bar, but lol @ u if you get hit and still want an A on the level), no retarded fishing stages. No werehogs, no driving Sonic like a go-kart.

Just Sonic running around really fast.

Throw in some kick ass music with a fat and funky bass line and choose a cool art style to base the game on.

Sonic Heroes, Sonic Colors, Sonic 06, Sonic Unleashed. granted each time they added some fucking pointless garbage ontop that ruined the point of listening in the first place. all I can see with Colors is them throwing their hands up in the air and saying 'fuck it, the sonic speed shit worked fine let's just do that'