A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

TMNT movie trailer.

Blues

Something just seems really off about this movie.

It's the facial animations that do it. They have the same expression on the entire time, and their faces are stiff. Even when one falls in the trash can, and Leonardo looks over and shakes his head... his face DOESN'T CHANGE. His head just shakes. That bothers me.

These aren't puppets. They're CGI. So I expect their faces to squash/stretch/distort to give them some emotion, but they don't.

I also don't think the backgrounds look very good.

I actually like how the 3D looks, though the animation itself (like when Leonardo was doing some sword skillz) seems crap. This could be because it's a very early teaser and fair enough because it is. I'm going to reserve judgement on this until later on when they've cleaned it all up a bit.

Though I must mention how I dislike how the turtles actually look. A revamp is very necessary.

I don't mind the environment, but I can't stand how the turtles look. I think they're a little too skinny, and the way they jump around makes them seem frog-like.

The animation is alright. The part where Mikey falls into the trash can was done pretty well. Ralph, and Donny move just like they would in the old TMNT movies. :)

"If we keep this rate, by 2034 we'll have already had 5 Dora the Explorer CGI movies."

How is this anything like that? And I'm sorry but I'd totally rather see a stylized CG TMNT than ::insert CG film with animals here:: I don't have any idea how the hell Dora the Explorer seemed appropriate. >.> This looks is 10x better than all the bright happy shix we currently have. And it's not really that big of an adjustment to look at a skinny team of TMNT, no different than a skinny Sonic.

"If we keep this rate, by 2034 we'll have already had 5 Dora the Explorer CGI movies."

How is this anything like that? And I'm sorry but I'd totally rather see a stylized CG TMNT than ::insert CG film with animals here:: I don't have any idea how the hell Dora the Explorer seemed appropriate. >.> This looks is 10x better than all the bright happy shix we currently have. And it's not really that big of an adjustment to look at a skinny team of TMNT, no different than a skinny Sonic.

The problem is that, because CGI has become such a commonly used animation style nowadays (because the studios are soooooo confident that 3D is what the people want), that the studios release half-assed animated movies. I'll give you some examples right away.

Hoodwinked

Doogal

Monster House

Polar Express

Are they good movies? From what I understand, Monster House and Hoodwinked are apparently very good and very funny.

But do they have good animation? No. Not at all. Especially Hoodwinked. Why on earth the studio behind that movie released it with such half-ass animation is beyond me. But I think more work needs to go into the ANIMATION as it is an ANIMATED film.

TMNT could get better. This is, after all, just a small teaser. The animation could be VASTLY improved by the time the movie comes out, which I'm hopeful for. The teaser for Cars showed some racing scenes that looked VERY unpolished. But the finished movie was godamned gorgeous.

... Hoodwinked, if I remember correctly, was a first time outing for that studio and was also originally a "joke project." Doogal was made by the same team. I didn't even know Monster House was out yet, and Polar Express had decent animation, overly so in the facial expressions department. The only reason people release half-assed movies, is because the audience allows them to. Case closed, because that's all there is to it. People will go see an Ice Age 3 and then rant about how awesome it is, even if it is mediocre at best. People will go see The Wild and Shark Tale even if they are just a different version of an existing movie.

Now as for TMNT, this is still early, and I never said it didn't need to be improved, so stop telling me that. Do you really want me to spell out what I was saying? I was saying that most of the movies now are overly bright (Ice Age, Monster House, Madagascar, etc) and none of them have their own style. I was mainly talking to the people who were complaining about how "bad" the backgrounds or the characters looked. Sure they're skinnier, sure the backgrounds are "different" but it all pulls together to give it a unique look. One that won't confuse me the way Ant Bully and that kid with the baseball bat do. I swear they've put the same animal movies out about 10x now (the one with Bow Wow and Snoop Dog, the CG one about the talking cows, the 2D one with Rosie Odonnel or something, the Wild, Madagascar), this one has a totally different and unique look that rocks. How you somehow got "no no no, nothing needs to be done, it's fine as it is" out of that I have no idea.

I mean really, DB, where did that come from?

"After the defeat of their old arch nemesis, The Shredder, the Turtles have grown apart as a family. Struggling to keep them together, their rat sensei, Master Splinter, becomes worried when strange things begin to brew in New York City. Tech-industrialist Max Winters is amassing an army of ancient monsters to apparently take over the world."

So wait.. this is in sequence with the old movies?