A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

'The Source' - new project by an old fangamer

Nicho

WHAT IS ALL THIS

'The Source' is a platform game that focuses on exploration in the vein of the old Metroid titles. It is a satirical take on Scientology and uses leaked documentation and past events as the basis for the game. Enemies include clams and cereal boxes, earned powers include talking to animals and purging yourself of toxins, and the final goal is to reach the 'Bridge of Enlightenment'!

You play as one of two characters who have recently been inducted into the church: Pete, a lovesick man-child looking for meaning in his life, or Hannah, his best friend who also happens to be an investigative journalist. Your aim is to complete challenges given to you by 'The Source' himself, whilst also finding hidden facts about the church's history and intentions hidden throughout the levels.

FEATURES

-Retro aesthetic with original pixel art

-Chiptune-y soundtrack

-Gameplay inspired by classic platformers from the past

-A wicked Aussie sense of humour

MEDIA

Video - Trailer

Screenshot - Auditing

Screenshot - Volcanic History

WHY SHOULD YOU BE INTERESTED

2 reasons. The first is that the game will be really good. Everyone working on the project has a professional background in games and digital media, so they really know what they are doing.

The second is that my involvement in this project is directly related to my time here. I doubt anyone here remembers me (from the era of MagicgrafX, Sonic Infinity, and that one overused Rabidknux sprite) but I only finished one (awful) fangame and never really got to grips with the whole programming thing. As such, I'm proof positive that you can still get somewhere in the industry even if the technical nuts and bolts stuff does not click for you personally. I contribute through design, market research and writing, so there are still ways to make inroads into the industry outside of programming if you are determined.

NOTE: I figured it would be better to post this here than the 'General Fangame Discussion' forum, given that is isn't really a fangame and we are still campaigning for money. Sorry if I've got that wrong, feel free to move the thread if you have to!

I immediately stopped procrastinating and FINALLY decided to google "Scientology" because this has to be a joke

Mention of "rabidknux" gave me a nostalgia wave.

I really want to be interested but I really don't know what to think gameplay wise. The video seemed to be advertising an elaborate joke moreso than the game itself.

Edit:

Oh, are you trying to find help in developing the game?

So, I'm a homophobic and my mission is to break up gay couples?

Oh my...

Sorry if this part may have come across like that, its not what we were going for at all. In fact, its the opposite. Our aim is to portray being in the Church of Scientology as being like a game. One of the characters is an investigative journalist and is trying to uncover the secrets of the church. Unfortunately one of the goals of the Church in real life is to oppose gay marriage, so we need to reference it in the game. We want the contrast between the overly chirpy, happy presentation and the horrible requests from the Church to reflect the way these issues are glossed over in favour of glitzy celebrity gossip whenever Scientology is referenced in the media. All the 'goals' in the video are supposed to make you question the motives and goals of the real life Church. So your reactions are exactly right, just directed at the wrong people.

TLDR: We aren't against gay marriage, we are criticising the church for being against gay marriage.

Sorry if this part may have come across like that, its not what we were going for at all. In fact, its the opposite. Our aim is to portray being in the Church of Scientology as being like a game. One of the characters is an investigative journalist and is trying to uncover the secrets of the church. Unfortunately one of the goals of the Church in real life is to oppose gay marriage, so we need to reference it in the game. We want the contrast between the overly chirpy, happy presentation and the horrible requests from the Church to reflect the way these issues are glossed over in favour of glitzy celebrity gossip whenever Scientology is referenced in the media. All the 'goals' in the video are supposed to make you question the motives and goals of the real life Church. So your reactions are exactly right, just directed at the wrong people.

TLDR: We aren't against gay marriage, we are criticising the church for being against gay marriage.

Yeah, I (unprofessionally and personally) think you should probably alter the way you showcase the game concept. Your entire video seemed like one really long, elaborate Scientology joke that I neither fully understood nor really cared to finish off.

For anyone who thinks Scientology is horse shit, they'll never require that much information to be interested in the game. But for people who are ignorant or simply do not care (like me!), pushing so hard for the Scientology joke just kind of falls flat. And since the gameplay revolves completely around Scientology, you really have nothing else to fall back on at that point.

I'd say, you focus a bit more on gameplay next time. If it's a game thats heavily focused around the joke, that's fine. But I think you're pushing the joke itself a bit too hard. That's supposed to be what the game is for.

Yeah, I (unprofessionally and personally) think you should probably alter the way you showcase the game concept. Your entire video seemed like one really long, elaborate Scientology joke that I neither fully understood nor really cared to finish off.

For anyone who thinks Scientology is horse shit, they'll never require that much information to be interested in the game. But for people who are ignorant or simply do not care (like me!), pushing so hard for the Scientology joke just kind of falls flat. And since the gameplay revolves completely around Scientology, you really have nothing else to fall back on at that point.

I'd say, you focus a bit more on gameplay next time. If it's a game thats heavily focused around the joke, that's fine. But I think you're pushing the joke itself a bit too hard. That's supposed to be what the game is for.

As with this notion, the video itself seemed like enough of an experience for me to get the idea behind the whole thing, and the game seems inconsequential as a result.

If that's the case, then the trailer really should have said it outright, before I get so bored with it that I close my tab.

Another issue, closely related, is that when you go and refer to "The Source" as the player's boss, being all honorific about it, and not even hinting at an alternate thought process... Well, you get this. The trailer in no way told me that the objective of the game was to question your boss... In fact, from what I remember, the trailer explicitly told me that my objective was to do as he says, no matter what that may be.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback guys, I do appreciate it! I understand that the subject matter and style might not be for everyone, so no hard feelings to those who weren't really interested.

As with this notion, the video itself seemed like enough of an experience for me to get the idea behind the whole thing, and the game seems inconsequential as a result.

I hear what you guys are saying regarding this sort of thing. I think it may be the primary reason that we are still a fair way away from our Indiegogo goal despite having had a good number of views on the video and related articles.

We've had some nice press about the game and a bunch of views thanks to an article/tweet from the Huffington Post, so hopefully we can still get to the point that the game can get finished off in the near future.