A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Job Review: Cell Phone Salesman

Eminence

Being a salesman is supposed to be pretty hellish, and cell phones are one of the big ones they are always hunting salesmen for. That generally means they have a high turnover rate, which generally means bad job satisfaction.

Keep in mind that if you are a salesman, you probably won't make much base pay (if any) and you'll be relying almost entirely on commissions. This means it will be your job to sell things at the highest advantage to your company since this raises the amount of your commission. Also with this kind of job, it's frequent that your actual rate of pay per commission will depend on how many deals you make, which is shorthand for 'be prepared to have a stressful time finding a balance between the money you make on an individual deal and the amount you are making on all of your deals'.

Salesmen are pretty much the most reviled people around (exempting lawyers maybe?)... partly because their livelihoods are built on screwing people. It doesn't matter whether it's cars, insurance, or phones... they tend to lose touch with people and don't have a lot of empathy coming their way.

You guys are silly. A cell phone salesman sits in his store and waits for customers to come to him.

"I'm looking to setup a new account with Verizon."

"Could I buy a new SD car?"

Etc.

I'd be selling to people who want our services.

Yeeaaaaah, keep telling yourself that. A passive salesman is a bad salesman.

Only you're a master salesman, you need a job were you don't work on commission.

Remember, unless you have a specialized degree and/or really useful experience, you're going to have to start with a shitty entry job.

If you're not skilled (i.e. no degree or experience), I would recommend looking for warehouse work. They always need people, and wages are fairly good for what you do. You can probably find $10 - 14.00 / hour depending on where you live.