A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Which software should I use?

Eminence

I am interested in making a small game again and am wondering what software available ia best to do so? I have experience with MMF / Games Factory and know there are more than a few things I dislike about them.

Or is there any coding I could learn to do this? What are my alternatives?

I am interested in making a small game again and am wondering what software available ia best to do so? I have experience with MMF / Games Factory and know there are more than a few things I dislike about them.

Or is there any coding I could learn to do this? What are my alternatives?

There is...

-Programs-

MMF

GameMaker

RPGMaker

Blender

-Raw code-

BASIC

C

C#

Java

Flash/ActionScript

Lua

C++

And probably a ton of others I don't know about.

Well, first you must answear for which purpose is the game that you are making... Because develop things require time, a lot of time, and if you need to learn that tecnology before developing, then you need a lot more time.

What is the style of the game that you want to develop? Plataformer, RPG, Casual, Puzzle, 3D Adventure? Because every game maker software aims in some good things, like RPG Maker makes VERY EASY to make and "final fantasy 1"-like game, MMF2 is the same for an sonic/mario game...

"RAW code", like TailsSena wrote before, is for programmers, because you will see a single image of it a few weeks/months after you started programming.

btw, people are talking a lot about Scirra Construct, but I tried it and I keep MMF2Dev, ClickTeam still get the best ways to export the games and easier ways to view/manipulate the work.

I can totally recommend you C# using XNA Framework. If you have some experience with C++ and coding you won't have problems, plus you'll enjoy the flexibility that coding gives you.

And the best part:

IT'S FREE (Only for Windows, though. To develop for Xbox360 and Windows Phone you gotta pay in order to debug)

Overbound, have you already used Unity with a medium-sized (or bigger) project?

It is Laggy. You need a very expensive hardware to run a simple project.

Comparing Unity and UDK (in 3D engines) my vote is going to UDK. ;D

LH The Hedgehog, C# is for programmers as I said, a good language with a lot of helps/tutorials over the internet (I already did an class about game programming in XNA in my University 2 years ago, and Liked it), but isnt like MMF, isnt a "drag-n-drop" gamedev, and I don't know if is really that good the XNA Exporter in the MMF2Dev, but I would give it a try, so, for now, MMF2Dev is still my choice for 2D Game Developing.