A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Isn't it kind of weird...

Eminence

Isn't it kind of weird that our Culture acts as if human beings are the only species that is important?

We have fossil evidence of a species called "Neanderthals".

Neanderthals were basically a different "breed" of human being. Similar to how there are different types of dogs: Boxers, Chihuahuas, *insert your favorite dog breed here*.

Doesn't the mere existence of other living / breathing humano

ids prove that homo sapiens just happened to be the species that lasted the test of time?

-

Furthermore, Science has proven that all living things came from a common ancestor. That every other animal that exists today are us if we had evolved a different way.

Doesn't this suggest that all living consciousness is special? What is the justification of our lives being more important than a household pet? Because we evolved to have more intelligence?

As stated before, all living things came from a common ancestor.

But instead of awareness and understanding coming from that, we instead distance ourselves and claim to be unique and special.

It's either a logical fallacy or denial.

I think most of it comes from forgetfulness, actually.

(This is just be, but...) I'll often forget that the cats are also very intelligent beings and treat them like, well, cats.

In other cases, it's because not everyone agrees with Science. (You know who I'm talking about.)

Such people tend to believe that they where created to be special, and thus have some bullshit "divine right" to command "lesser" beings to do their bidding.

I hope I'm making sense... My father is always dumbfounded when I go off on tangents like this.

But anyway, I guess another part could be that, in most cases, pets rely on us for many things... They don't have direct access to their own food like we do, we give it to them, we train them to deposit their feces in a little box that we clean up and manage.

On another tangent, it could be human nature to blame. Humans tend to have the desire to be "better" than most things they encounter, this includes fellow animals.

Another issue would be the massive communication barrier between Humans and all other Animals. Think about it, we'd probably respect them a lot more if we could understand them like they can understand each other... Their "languages" are certainly intelligible, just not to us...

I think we all know deep down how insignificant we are in the grand scheme of everything. Either we're insignificant in the scale of the universe, or we're insignificant next to the "will of god" or whatever. Either way, the only ones who are truely high-strung are the stupidest most destructive of us all.

And I think the whole climate destabilization problem we're rushing towards is proof of just how shortsighted and selfish we truly are as a species. Higher-ups don't acknowledge it because it isn't profitable, regulars acknowledge it but don't really push for it because lets face it, it's our kids problems, not our own. Who cares how many species we annihilate in the process.

Hearing one side of politicians completely bash global warming and downplay the importance of newer energy sources is absolutely sickening to me, and should be for every human on this planet.

Another issue would be the massive communication barrier between Humans and all other Animals. Think about it, we'd probably respect them a lot more if we could understand them like they can understand each other... Their "languages" are certainly intelligible, just not to us...

Bullshit bullshit bullshit. You clearly have no idea how your own brain works or how the genetics of the species has evolved to make language as we know it possible. If there are other animals that are actually capable of developing languages that have meaning, they are far and few between. Most communication between animals of non-human species is strictly at the emotional and chemical level. There are some theories that a couple others mammals such as cetaceans and such might be capable of communicating in a lingual way, but nothing concrete.

If there are other animals that are actually capable of developing languages that have meaning, they are far and few between. Most communication between animals of non-human species is strictly at the emotional and chemical level. There are some theories that a couple others mammals such as cetaceans and such might be capable of communicating in a lingual way, but nothing concrete.

Then why does my cat yell at me as if it's trying to talk at me?

Most Mammals have some form of verbal communication between one another, but the only one we can understand on any level is a Parrot.

Well, the first post is really dumb, and then your post are really dumb... But then, all your posts is really dumb and-- HOLY SHIT TAILSSENA!

What? Again, elaborate. If absolutely all my posts are "really dumb," don't you think it would be at least a little bit helpful to tell me why? And then, perhaps you could grace me with an answer as to how I can make them better...

Though I'm not totally sure I see a need to, since you're the only one who has a problem with me.

because it's learned that by yelling at you, it can elicit a specific response from you.

Most Mammals have some form of verbal communication between one another

Actually, no. They don't. Not the way Humans do, anyway.

Since you brought up Cats, you should know the Meow is only there for kittens to call to their mothers. Adult cats only use their voices to warn other animals when they're threatened. As far as I know, mammals communicate mostly through body language. Which isn't very odd, because humans do the same thing. A person can tell you whether they're happy, sad, hungry, angry, bored, tired, horny, whatever without ever muttering or suggesting a word.

IIRC the only animals that are thought to actually be able to express full ideas and emotions through an auditory language are, like DW said, dolphins. Or whatever formal name they're called. This is still being researched, but last i read about them, they were able to record their vocal patterns and pick up specific noises that aren't only used in specific situations, but around specific dolphins, suggesting they may actually give and call eachother by names.

cool stuff

but the only one we can understand on any level is a Parrot.

We can "understand" the Parrot because it can mimic the sounds our vocal cords can make, which few (if any) other animals on this planet are capable of. You can teach them to mimic phrases to get things from you, the same way you teach a dog to lay down or bark or whatever in order to earn a treat. But no, they have absolutely no clue what the words mean. They only know that saying that specific word or phrase will have specific rewards or consequences.

Edit: might have jumped the gun about dolphin communication. I do remember the "naming" part but expressing ideas and emotions i may be wrong about.

Most Mammals have some form of verbal communication between one another, but the only one we can understand on any level is a Parrot.

It's a noise. They make these sounds because domesticated housecats are basically wild animals that we have warped through selective breeding and these noises they make are throwbacks to the noises wild cats make, which is mostly a bunch of sounds used to convey some kind of state information about the emitter such as warning noises (hissing) or indications of vulnerability (purring). It is communication, but it isn't language.

It'd also be meaningful to think if we can REALLY classify things as living and non-living, existing and non-existing.

Living and non-living is pretty easy aside from some edge cases like viruses and a few other things that don't just 'die'.

What? Again, elaborate. If absolutely all my posts are "really dumb," don't you think it would be at least a little bit helpful to tell me why? And then, perhaps you could grace me with an answer as to how I can make them better...

Though I'm not totally sure I see a need to, since you're the only one who has a problem with me.

You are wasting your effort asking for an explanation from Duckboy. He's Duckboy. He is more entertained by prattle like this than by the idea of explaining things. This topic is silly hippy banter about how people are arrogant consumers by nature, meanwhile it's that same arrogant consumption that makes this conversation possible in the first place. You want to know what it is that makes humans more significant than cats and dung beetles? Why not start with the understanding that humans are capable of raising these questions in the first place while all the other animals just go on about their dumb little lives without caring what they think about all the other various animal species or even worrying about things like the allegedly inevitable collapse or heat death of the universe.

Personally I prefer not to think about any of this stuff. They could be smarter than us but not show it because they know we study every little thing, kinda like how psychologists have a hard time understanding how certain minds work only because the person they're studying chooses to throw off the results. I don't even think humans are that smart. We learn how to use things just like other critters, but we're forced to learn much more than any creature would learn of its own free will. I wanted to say that, but didn't think it'd fit in this topic b/c I have no idea what this is even about, where it's going, and I don't care!

i'm not i'm just the only one that says anything to you

dw explained it in more real words than i felt like explaining it

and lol @ you editing the quote so it's proper punctuation and shit

Personally I prefer not to think about any of this stuff. They could be smarter than us but not show it because they know we study every little thing, kinda like how psychologists have a hard time understanding how certain minds work only because the person they're studying chooses to throw off the results. I don't even think humans are that smart. We learn how to use things just like other critters, but we're forced to learn much more than any creature would learn of its own free will. I wanted to say that, but didn't think it'd fit in this topic b/c I have no idea what this is even about, where it's going, and I don't care!

i am 1050334^10^100 * positive that im smarter than my cat