A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Quentin Tarantino in my Centipede (no, really)

Geckoroverse

The other day I found my old copy of the 1998 PC version of Centipede. I used to play that and Frogger PC quite a bit as a kid. Ya'll remember Centipede '98, right?

Right?

...Well, I guess I can't blame ya'. Can't even find much about it on the web, and the game didn't exactly score too well back in the day, so it's rather obscure as a result.

So I figured, "Hey, it's a CD-ROM disc, so I wonder if it plays an OST in the ole' CD player?". Sure enough, I had access to all the level themes in the game aside from the final two tracks, which were all glitched up. Basically it all sounds like 90's trance/rave.

I thought, "I guess I oughta' rip this and post these up somewhere". So yesterday I go and insert the disc into my laptop. Everything's working fine, and the game itself installed great despite its age and wear.

"Alright, I'll just open up these sound files and I'll jus-..."

http://imageshack.us/a/img684/1808/wthle.png

"whut"

Why am I posting this here? Because not only is this my frequent of choice, but also because I just thought you guys might get a kick out of this. I also want to see if anyone can come up with an explanation for this that makes sense.

Maybe they snuck the entire album to fill the empty space?.

I'm really not sure about that. All the songs listed under "Pulp Fiction" were really just tracks from Centipede's soundtrack . If there had been any songs left over, I'm sure they would have popped up either on the CD or on Media Player.

Did they have a hard time selling the Pulp Fiction albums? Did they have too many extras? Did they have to resort to pasting over copies with Hasbro/Atari PC games? I'm not sure what's up.

Track names, album covers and titles are not typically stored on CDs. You may have been a victim of some bullshit auto-identify-and-label algorithm gone astray. If possible try putting the disc into some other machine that isn't running Win7 and see if it's still there... I'm guessing it won't be.

=Smidge=

Track names, album covers and titles are not typically stored on CDs. You may have been a victim of some bullshit auto-identify-and-label algorithm gone astray. If possible try putting the disc into some other machine that isn't running Win7 and see if it's still there... I'm guessing it won't be.

=Smidge=

Wait, something's wrong here...

Aren't the names usually stored in another file somewhere on the disk? If not, then what identifies the .CDAs, and how?

=Smidge=

Ffff I got Windows 7. XD But we don't really have any other reliable computers over here I can run the disc on to see if it labels differently. I'll have to see if my mom's newest computer runs XP or the like.

[EDIT]...Actually, I recall I was ripping a White Zombie CD a while back, and it had all the correct song names, album, etc. Whereas I ripped Frogger '97 yesterday and it had no names for any of its songs and album at all. This is getting screwy. :I

I think it's just an issue with the mp3 tags themselves. I have the sonic 2 soundtrack, and for some reason my computer decided it was the world of goo soundtrack...

Which brings up the question...did you already have the World of Goo soundtrack on your computer? 'Cause if your computer auto-identified-and-replaced that with no knowledge prior all by itself, that's some weird shit.

Only reason I ask is 'cause I didn't have any Pulp Fiction on here before...

Which brings up the question...did you already have the World of Goo soundtrack on your computer? 'Cause if your computer auto-identified-and-replaced that with no knowledge prior all by itself, that's some weird shit. Only reason I ask is 'cause I didn't have any Pulp Fiction on here before...

It's called the "internet."

Yes, by default your media player connects to the internet to try and identify what music you're playing so it can label the tracks for you. It's a brave new world...

=Smidge=

Yes, by default your media player connects to the internet to try and identify what music you're playing so it can label the tracks for you. It's a brave new world...

=Smidge=

This ^

Mainly, Media Player, Zune and even Winamp do it unless the ID3 tag fields are already filled.

With the CDDAs, WMP stores it on the PC's database; with MP3 (and FLAC & APE, with some additional plugins), WMP stores in the file itself.

A good solution for this is either deactivate the auto-collection of data on files missing tags (you can do this via the options window). If you wish to have the right tags, you can right-click the CD cover either on the ripping screen or your library and choose "Find data" (something like that), so you can search through the online database.

If you don't find anything, though, it's up to you to rename the song names, change their order, artist, album name, genre and year, and then copy an image containing the CD's cover, right-clicking it on your library and selecting "Paste album cover" >:

I usually have to do this so my Last.fm scrobbling doesn't get raped.

=Smidge=

Heh. You'd think I'd have naturally assumed that'd be the cause, but I honestly thought that it already had song and album names encoded in the disc. Game systems do that too, right?