A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Salom Adventure Demo 1.0

Nefault1st

My 2 cents, I would really prefer the resolution to stay at it's current size. it's alot easier on the eyes and far less chance of smashing into things because you didn't see it coming. the horizontal speed of this game is way higher than average, so this is especially important to think about.

the horizontal speed of this game is way higher than average, so this is especially important to think about.

i had his speed higher than average because each of the 3 players focus on different types of gameplay. 1 for speedrun, 1 for combat, and 1 for both which is Vermin. He's for the people that love platforming.

Oh gosh. This is seriously one of the most polished fangames I think I've ever played. Like really. Everything is super smooth, responsive, looks AND sounds great. Really top notch work!

To be honest, when I read "Salom Adventure" I sorta rolled my eyes, as most fancharacter games are super subpar. This however, is absolutely amazing.

I subscribed to your youtube so I can stalk your development.

I'm really looking forward to playing the finished product. :3

It's your fangame after all so it's your right to use them. just be ready for shitstorm and ignorance this design decision may lead to :)

This. You have no idea how much flak I got over my main character (Lilac) before I eventually felt the need to redesign her. I still get complaints about the similarities even with her redesign, but at least they're far less common now.

It seems like you've put a lot of work into his sprite set to the point where you won't want to go back and change him, but if you do, I can offer a few pointers. Regardless, it doesn't seem like you're going to distance this from the Sonic universe too much, so you're probably fine. You could even make it a running gag to where certain characters mistake him for Sonic and he always has to correct them. He could be pretty likeable if he's a good sport about his likeness to the Blue Blur.

Oh gosh. This is seriously one of the most polished fangames I think I've ever played. Like really. Everything is super smooth, responsive, looks AND sounds great. Really top notch work!

To be honest, when I read "Salom Adventure" I sorta rolled my eyes, as most fancharacter games are super subpar. This however, is absolutely amazing.

I subscribed to your youtube so I can stalk your development.

I'm really looking forward to playing the finished product. :3

i appreciate it pal! the title was purposely made as a knock-off of "Sonic Adventure". mainly because the storyline I'm creating will have some similarities, creativity wise. in my opinion the Sonic Adventure series had the greatest storyline compared to the other ones in every sonic game. so my goal is to make the story have the same amount of impact on the players as much as the storyline in Sonic Adventure.

It seems like you've put a lot of work into his sprite set to the point where you won't want to go back and change him, but if you do, I can offer a few pointers. Regardless, it doesn't seem like you're going to distance this from the Sonic universe too much, so you're probably fine. You could even make it a running gag to where certain characters mistake him for Sonic and he always has to correct them. He could be pretty likeable if he's a good sport about his likeness to the Blue Blur.

I know a lot of people will wish I redesigned him to look more original, but when I was younger, I pretty much wanted people to think he was Sonic's counterpart, like Eggman to Eggman Nega. That's why I said he lives in the Sol Universe. So you are right, I wasn't planning on separating this from the sonic universe. I just hope everyone will go with it. ᵃᶰᵈ ᶰᵒ ʰᶦˢ ᵈᵉˢᶦᵍᶰ ʷᵃˢ ᶰᵒᵗ ᶦᶰˢᵖᶦʳᵉᵈ ᵇʸ ᴹᵃᶰᶦᶜ ᶦ ᵈᶦᵈᶰ'ᵗ ᵉᵛᵉᶰ ᵏᶰᵒʷ ˢᵒᶰᶦᶜ ʰᵃᵈ ᵃ ᵇʳᵒᵗʰᵉʳ ᵃᵗ ᵗʰᵉ ᵗᶦᵐᵉ⋅⋅⋅

You do have something cool in your hands, besides the classic "let's recolor Sonic, put Tails' hair in it and dress him with some clothes" fancharacter design that we'd all seen a million times already, it's looking pretty cool. The engine is solid and works like a charm, but some key configurations must be done in order to make it better like the sliding (which btw I find completly useless when you can spin attack) where you have to use the right ctrl, it took me ages to find out... So I would probably take a look in that, see if it's really necessary.

The level design is the worst part of the whole package, I mean, it's bad, really bad. I'm not expecting something crazy beautiful like Sonic CD's, mostly because it's an "Modern Sonic" style of gameplay, but you really needs to put some better work into it. Altought I shall excuse you since this isn't final, I believe, just a testing area or so.

Other than that, great work, keep going!

(oh yeah, you may want to try to optmize it a lil' bit, I've played it in a good PC and got some framerate issues, specially with the music that ran all slow and shit)

You do have something cool in your hands, besides the classic "let's recolor Sonic, put Tails' hair in it and dress him with some clothes" fancharacter design that we'd all seen a million times already, it's looking pretty cool. The engine is solid and works like a charm, but some key configurations must be done in order to make it better like the sliding (which btw I find completly useless when you can spin attack) where you have to use the right ctrl, it took me ages to find out... So I would probably take a look in that, see if it's really necessary.

The level design is the worst part of the whole package, I mean, it's bad, really bad. I'm not expecting something crazy beautiful like Sonic CD's, mostly because it's an "Modern Sonic" style of gameplay, but you really needs to put some better work into it. Altought I shall excuse you since this isn't final, I believe, just a testing area or so.

Other than that, great work, keep going!

(oh yeah, you may want to try to optmize it a lil' bit, I've played it in a good PC and got some framerate issues, specially with the music that ran all slow and shit)

prepare for a long response lol

ok first of all thank you for the critique

i already covered the story about the character design but as for the controls, the only problem i have is the key for sliding, i put a readme file for controls so idk how it took you a long time to find out where it was. but i will change the key for that, i wanted to see how everyone else felt about it first. the sliding isn't useless because you can't use spin attacks to get through narrow areas. the level design isn't suppose to be anything fancy, like the title of the zone said its a test zone, so what was being tested was the player's moves and objects.

For some damn reason the framerate only drops on that particular level. I have absolutely no idea what's causing it because everything looks the same when i compare it to other stages. so I'll have to look into that more. The music should only lag at the beginning of the program opening, idk if I will be able to fix it because it's loading all the music in the folder.

• 2 weeks later...
Where did the name "Salom" come from, anyway?

Well I know when I created him I wanted the name to start with an "S" since thats what Sonic and Shadow's name started with. I messed around with it a bit til I got something interesting. Even though his name is pronounce "Salem", I didn't like the "e" in it so I replaced it with an "o". I was always a fan of making up names even if they didn't make sense half the time lol

Me too =P

But as soon as I saw the videos I realized how good this project is. Keep up the good work man!

Dude, don't make screenshot videos. That's like... One of the most retarded things there is. Specially you guys! Which has something so unique which is your gameplay. Simply post the screenshots in the thread, make your comments about it and be gone.

(btw really liked Sonic's screenshot. Looked nice... besides that waterfall that seems to be coming from heaven).

Dude, don't make screenshot videos. That's like... One of the most retarded things there is. Specially you guys! Which has something so unique which is your gameplay. Simply post the screenshots in the thread, make your comments about it and be gone.

Umm..I made that video :P I believe he posted a link to it here because he wanted to spread around the new things I did, but since he only has the video to show he went and posted that. I'm going to post all the actual art and screenshots here once they're all completed.

(btw really liked Sonic's screenshot. Looked nice... besides that waterfall that seems to be coming from heaven).

That waterfall originally had a black bg around it so I had to draw it in a blend mode, that's why it looks so "heavenly" lol

• 8 months later...
Yeah same. Totally going to feature this on my channel at some point. Really hope this gets into SAGE too.

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic about the video he posted or you're talking about the real game itself or copy/paste your post from another topic I just read

Ahh either way this OLD topic definitely makes me want to post 2.0 already. Ah well, still more work to be done.