A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

family emergency (aka why I won't be as active for a bit)

Betaman

I would like to start out by saying this is not a topic to drum up sympathy for me or anyone else, it is simply here to explain why I won't be as active for a while. That being said, I would like to say that despite this, my demo of Epsilon will be making an appearance at SAGE this year no matter what. It just won't be as good as I hoped.

Anyhow, my grandfather is in the hospital. All I know is that they couldn't wake him up this morning. I fear the worst. This is currently being typed on my phone as my family and I head up to where my grandmother lives. My mother and father have received two calls so far from my aunts and it doesn't seem to be getting better. Once again, I fear the worst.

As a result of this sudden tragedy, I will be without a computer for a bit as I try to deal with what's happened. I will update and fix bugs whenever I can, but I might not get everything before SAGE. I wish you all luck in your respective projects.

Once again, this isn't a topic for drumming up sympathy. This is simply to explain why I won't be as active for a bit. Though, I hope you understand my problem.

I learned when we arrived that he had passed away roughly an hour after we departed. He died due to the rupture of a major artery. They say he died quickly and without pain. I would like to thank you for all your kind words, despite him dying shortly after I posted this. I hope those of you who also registered demos for SAGE also do well in the coming weeks. Betaman out for now.

My grandfather had diabetes for as long as i can remember. Right around the time he passed, my grandmother started having increasingly severe seizures which were found to be linked to a small tumor putting pressure on her brain. After my grandfather passed, we decided to go ahead and let the doctors operate on her. The doctors said it was exceedingly risky due to her age, but we figured she would probably recover just fine. (She had brain tumors before i was born. I never knew. )

She SURVIVED the surgery, but was never quite the same afterwards. She had about a 4 year rapid decay period in which I watched her go basically from a self-sustained, hilarious 80+ year old woman with a great sense of humor to someone who had to have her dipers changed by her daughter in a bed. About 2 years in I was pretty unsure, but around the time she finally passed, i could tell she could no longer recognize me anymore. I guess the younger, fatter pictures of me in the room didn't help too much.

tl;dr

Point is, I had plenty of time to prepare for that stuff. But I can only imagine how bad it is for it to be so random-sudden. On the brighter side, i can very safely say that the idea of passing fast in one's sleep is a luxury not many people get. Im real sorry for your loss, man. Death sucks.

Once again, I would like to thank you all for your kind words and sharing your stories with me. It definitely helped me get over the shock I had when I heard the news. Right now I'm helping the family recover from the loss and I promise to have a nice surprise for you in the Screenshots thread when the family gets calmed down. My little sister and my two younger cousins took it the worst though. It made me feel awful to see them in such pain when they heard the news. I shed a few tears but it wasn't too major, and that's the worst part of it to me. It feels more hollow here than sad now and I don't feel justified for not feeling as sad as everyone else.

Anywho, I've been keeping myself busy to keep from having a meltdown.(I get claustrophobic.) It's been super crowded here and I just needed some time alone to think and maybe work a little bit to get rid of this empty feeling.

And I can't say this enough, thank you so much for your support and kindness over the past 2 days, it really means a lot to me and my family.

To me it wasn't so much as sad as I was sick to my stomach in shock. I suppose a somber, empty mood has set in over time, but I'm more concerned about the other people in my family than myself right now. I'm trying my best to comfort them and keep them in as high as spirit as I can.