A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Spriting Help

I need help with two thing actually.

1. I'm creating construction trailers (or whatever they're called) for Chemical Canyon Zone. Something like this:

Sonic4odz.jpg

They ended up coming out like this:

constructiontrailers.png

They seem lacking and missing colors, can anyone help me improve these.

2. I need help making the rocks for Molten Meltdown Zone. I made theme custom, but they also seem lacking:

rocks.png

Someone PLEEEEASE help me.

I'll probably fail at modifying them but heres some suggestions. Try adding wear, rust or markings(scratchs or dents) onto the trailers to give them some age along with Eggman's Icon on them. The ones you made look brand new trailers that are owned by no one. As for the rocks, If they are in lava, i guess you could give them a red-orange tint. otherwise, I can't help there.

Overbound made a great tutorial awhile ago about making tiles with "layers," but I can't seem to find it.

As for the shipping containers, they need weathering and dimension. Have them sprited at a side instead of directly facing the camera.

If you look at the outside part of flying batery the metal exterior has large splotches of darker color. I think that might work on your containers.

As for rocks you are probably just focusing on them too much. You could make them blue-gray but really you probably just need to start focusing on the rest of the level. Try making a floor and add decorations between the rocks.

They look great. Personally I'd take it a bit further though. Separate the colored parts from the gray metal fringe. With each piece seperate in a different file reduce their color using index color or save for web. Right now they have like 30 colors I bet they'd look great at under 10. Plus then they will look more like genesis graphics. After you reduce the colors for each piece just combined them back together.