A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Original Sonic The Hedgehog Enhanced Remake. GM7.

BbBlair

I want to create an enhanced remake of Sonic 1 on the Genesis. I want to do this with sonic advanced style graphics and sfx. I would appreciate some help and some advice on the approach of this although I have a few ideas that I am keen to use.

Levels.

Green Hill Zone.

Set out as the original is with graphics borrowed from neo green hill zone in sonic advance. Sunset Hill's 3 Act musics will be used as they are basically gba remixes of Green Hill Zone.

Marble Zone.

Will have act 1 made like the original with enhanced graphics. act 2 and 3 will be made to look like crisis city a bit with remixes of crisis citys music and this will be explained in the next zone which would be a suprise to most.

City Escape.

Before you start trolling me i plan for this to be the unruined part of the city from marble zone/crisis city. I also plan to use grinding as a unique gimmick to this zone and this zone is included as a save system is going to be introduced and each chaos emerald is linked to each zone needing there to be 7 main zones rather than 6. I also plan for act 3 run pretty much like sunset park act 3 except your on a long version of the gun truck with eggman after about a minute of running on it in the cannon machine.

Spring Yard Zone.

This will be described as City Escapes Suburbs. These zones will be loyal to the original with enhanced graphics and bg music.

Labyrinth Zone.

Loyal to original enhanced bg and graphics.

Star Light Zone.

Loyal to original with enhanced bg taken from sonic advance and graphics.

Scrap Brain Zone.

Loyal to original except boss is at end of act 3 and is not the final boss. enhanced bg from sonic advance and graphics.

Sky Base.

Taken from Sonic 1 on Game Gear although obv enhanced first 2 acts will be similar to act 1 and 2 on game gear although other bits need to be added as grinding will return here. Act 3 likely to just be like a final zone and ideas for a much more difficult final boss here would be appreciated. My idea is a boss run before final boss.

Extra Zone.

As you guessed it a super sonic boss for collection of all 7 choas emeralds.

Features.

I would like to implement the elemental shields and insta shield into this game. I also would like the ability to play as Super Sonic within the levels for having 7 chaos emeralds to return too. Graphics will all be sonic advance styled and I may have the homing attack as a strictly optional setting for maybe an easy mode or something.

I have made a very very basic prototype which I will upload in the next few days which is additions onto a basic engine I found which I have Kinda made a makeshift City Escape Zone Act 1 and the beginnings of Green Hill Zone Act 1.

I would like some help with this for it to become a sort of community project as I believe something like this may become the holy grail in fan gaming.

Blair.

post-619-138639765305_thumb.png

post-619-138639765307_thumb.png

I agree with the above ^..

Also I would recommend not posting until you have at-least a full zone implemented.

This may sound a little unfair but this seems like a project that will inevitably die in a couple of weeks and will never be heard of again.

What do you mean? I've done a remake on sonic adventure 2 and uploaded pictures and stuff confirming the project, but sadly the computer it was on was crushed by my sister standing on it reaching for my shounen jumps.

I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry.

An enhanced version of Sonic the Hedgehog with GBA Graphics? I'm sorry. It can't be done.

Sonic_Mega_Drive_Advance__by_ADHedgehog.png

Says who?

Actually, I've always wanted to do a Sonic: South Island game, which would automatically include Sonic 1 but several others. If a team gets together to make it, I'd love to direct o3o

Since no team will, however, I'm not going to direct, am I? :L

I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry.

Depending on the quality, the latter...

Sonic 1 remake with advanced graphics? fair enough. Sounds like it will play like your standard classic game, Level list sounds reasonable and 7 chaos emeralds...it should be 6 if its a remake but whatever. A suggestion, try to include the all the levels from the gamegear/MS version as well. Good mix of the 2 games with improved graphics.

Also, regarding this...

I would like some help with this for it to become a sort of community project as I believe something like this may become the holy grail in fan gaming.

Careful or it could end up like Sonic 2 HD.

This looks okay, but wouldn't it be better if we made an ORIGINAL project as a community thing instead of ANOTHER Sonic 1 remake? and isn't it a little TOO far to be providing a game that Sega still sells to the public for FREE?

If it wasn't for that reason, I'd be all over a community fan-game.

Well, we could go with my idea: instead of simply remaking Sonic 1, expand it to include all of South Island. I've always wanted to do it, but lack technical knowhow.

List of levels and games from South Island:

Sonic the Hedgehog (16-bit)

Green Hill Zone, grassy plains with lakes and waterfalls. This Zone has appeared in several other Sonic games as well.

Marble Zone, ancient ruins half-sunk in lava.

Spring Yard Zone, an urban area with pinball bumpers and springs.

Labyrinth Zone, an underwater maze.

Star Light Zone, a highway-like city area.

Scrap Brain Zone, a heavily industrialized area which serves as Robotnik's base.

Sonic the Hedgehog (8-bit)

Green Hill Zone, sporting the same verdant fields as in its other appearences.

Bridge Zone, a long bridge over a river.

Jungle Zone, a rain forest with wild rivers and vines.

Labyrinth Zone, the same submerged ruins as in the 16-bit game.

Scrap Brain Zone, the Doctor's industrial stronghold.

Sky Base Zone, a large, weaponised zeppelin made by Robotnik.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (8-bit)

Underground Zone, a volcanic mountain, once used as a mine.

Sky High Zone, the top of a mountain that reaches the clouds.

Aqua Lake Zone, a lake surrounded by fountains and pillars.

Green Hills Zone, very like the one from the previous games, but with normal trees instead of palm trees.

Gimmick Mt. Zone, one of Robotnik's metallic bases, apparently set inside a mountain.

Scrambled Egg Zone, a mountain filled with large pipes, and another of Robotnik's bases.

Crystal Egg Zone, a transparent crystal base of Robotnik's. Can only be accessed if you have all six Chaos Emeralds.

Sonic Chaos:

Turquoise Hill Zone, a grassy hillside area, much like Green Hill Zone.

Gigalopolis Zone, a sprawling urban area with various passages. The Game Gear version spells it as "Gigapolis Zone".

Sleeping Egg Zone, a mostly flat region of plains, with Eggman's self-portrait adorning parts of the background.

Mecha Green Hill Zone, Robotnik's version of the Green Hill Zone, with deathtraps strewn everywhere.

Aqua Planet Zone, a group of ruins partially submerged in water. Despite the name, there is actually very little water.

Electric Egg Zone, another of Robotnik's many large bases.

Perhaps we could expand the Sonic the Hedgehog levels to make secret level exits or simply give a choice between the original level design (GHZ-1A) that leads along the normal path (leads to Marble Zone) and a newly made level design (GHZ-1B) that leads to the other levels (in this case, alters to Bridge Zone)

Source

Just my thoughts...Someone owes me a penny...

Well, we could go with my idea: instead of simply remaking Sonic 1, expand it to include all of South Island. I've always wanted to do it, but lack technical knowhow.

List of levels and games from South Island:

Sonic the Hedgehog (16-bit)

Green Hill Zone, grassy plains with lakes and waterfalls. This Zone has appeared in several other Sonic games as well.

Marble Zone, ancient ruins half-sunk in lava.

Spring Yard Zone, an urban area with pinball bumpers and springs.

Labyrinth Zone, an underwater maze.

Star Light Zone, a highway-like city area.

Scrap Brain Zone, a heavily industrialized area which serves as Robotnik's base.

Sonic the Hedgehog (8-bit)

Green Hill Zone, sporting the same verdant fields as in its other appearences.

Bridge Zone, a long bridge over a river.

Jungle Zone, a rain forest with wild rivers and vines.

Labyrinth Zone, the same submerged ruins as in the 16-bit game.

Scrap Brain Zone, the Doctor's industrial stronghold.

Sky Base Zone, a large, weaponised zeppelin made by Robotnik.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (8-bit)

Underground Zone, a volcanic mountain, once used as a mine.

Sky High Zone, the top of a mountain that reaches the clouds.

Aqua Lake Zone, a lake surrounded by fountains and pillars.

Green Hills Zone, very like the one from the previous games, but with normal trees instead of palm trees.

Gimmick Mt. Zone, one of Robotnik's metallic bases, apparently set inside a mountain.

Scrambled Egg Zone, a mountain filled with large pipes, and another of Robotnik's bases.

Crystal Egg Zone, a transparent crystal base of Robotnik's. Can only be accessed if you have all six Chaos Emeralds.

Sonic Chaos:

Turquoise Hill Zone, a grassy hillside area, much like Green Hill Zone.

Gigalopolis Zone, a sprawling urban area with various passages. The Game Gear version spells it as "Gigapolis Zone".

Sleeping Egg Zone, a mostly flat region of plains, with Eggman's self-portrait adorning parts of the background.

Mecha Green Hill Zone, Robotnik's version of the Green Hill Zone, with deathtraps strewn everywhere.

Aqua Planet Zone, a group of ruins partially submerged in water. Despite the name, there is actually very little water.

Electric Egg Zone, another of Robotnik's many large bases.

Perhaps we could expand the Sonic the Hedgehog levels to make secret level exits or simply give a choice between the original level design (GHZ-1A) that leads along the normal path (leads to Marble Zone) and a newly made level design (GHZ-1B) that leads to the other levels (in this case, alters to Bridge Zone)

Source

Just my thoughts...Someone owes me a penny...

How about we save this for my 3D engine, for now.

What 3D Engine?

And the idea kinda seems like Sonic Generations.. Remaking older levels just this time its limited to South Island.

If we were going to make a collaboration project I think Original levels would be a lot better.

I agree on the original levels thing. We could make our own original gimmicks, badniks, level art, and more without being swayed by pre-made materials. (As in forced to work in the limits of those materials)