A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

The "Sonic: Edge of Darkness" Thread

It may be nitpicky of me, but god I hate that dark sand in the parallax of the desert level. It ruins the composition for me, the stage does look pretty, but that black sand just look bad.

Anyway, overall the project is looking great, the trail that characters leave behind could be toned down but whatever. Can't wait 'til SAGE.

• 2 months later...

.... AND bump.

Thanks for the comments P3DR0. ^^

So recently I've started to work on Act 2 for Shimmering Shores Zone.

OKTIfP7.png

sQk3z7t.png

I've also tried adding a pipe system to Act 2 to act as some sort of gimmick to compliment the water features in this act.

yaBksiV.png

Any suggestions on the pipe? I know for a fact someone will say it's really out of place.

• Like 1

I think the pipe gimmick could actually work out pretty well but it kinda just sticks out right now. Perhaps if you changed the checkered cliff asset its inside to mold around the pipe instead of just having it clip through it might look better?

Or change the pallet to something that works better with green and brown/gold.

I do like the consistent style you have going on though, so the pipe still fits with in that regard.

@Bliz

JUST SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

I'm liking the concept for the pipe, but, like Highwire said, it'd be better if it weren't clipping through tiles. Also, I'd make the pipe look more rusted and run down to suit the colour scheme of the level. Look the the pipes scattered in Professor Layton and Last Specter's Misthallery for reference.

Alright so recently a composer, who goes by "General Offensive", contacted me and said that he would like to create some tracks for the project. He created a 1 minute demo of the first act of Shimmering Shores and I would like for you guys to listen in on it and give your thoughts:

https://soundcloud.com/alexlp2k10/sc-act-1-wip/s-EABh0

Initially we set out for a new composer since we haven't heard from StereoPixel in a few months.

It would be cool if you styled the pipe like those tree trunks you can walk through in Palmtree Panic Zone from Sonic CD. Maybe more like palm tree's though.

Or the entrance could be a conch shell, not sure about the pipe though, could just be an indentation in the tiles.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That is wonderful man. 

If ya ever need a trailer with all those sparkly effects or some level music and such, you can always approach me cos' this really seems like a project with a lot of potential. :)

Good luck for SAGE!

Thanks man! We could use someone in the future for making a cool trailer for us haha. As you can see from the trailer I'm not a huge video editing professional. xD

• Like 1

Progress on Shimmering Shores Act 2 has resumed, and to me, I think it has way better level design than the Acts present in the SAGE demo, with more routes and little secrets. It's a shame I couldn't complete it in time for SAGE. Anywho, here are some screens:

P7XZIaZ.png JYQswyf.png

4fs0Y36.png8Mc1kKl.png

hWVEEtf.pngh2uTBBx.png

Thoughts?

• Like 1