A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

The "Sonic: Edge of Darkness" Thread

Definitely looks more interesting in motion. Feels like the level is lacking in gimmicks though. It has springs, platforms, loops, corkscrews, the usual, but it could use some unique gimmicks.

The walking animation also looks a bit stiff. His body should move up and down a bit as he walks.

Other than that, it's a good start so far, it just needs some spice. :awink:

Sparks took the words out of my mouth, it's really nice seeing something of this game after so long of only mockups/screenshots. It looks so much better in motion, really looking forward to a demo :')

I feel like you guys could really push the boat out here. Okay so the norm is to have a vanilla, grassy start level right? Who cares? Challenge the norm a bit guys. Each new sonic game implemented new features into the start levels and kept them fresh even if they were of a similar trope: Lake District (GHZ), Seaside (EMZ), Tropical Jungle (AIZ) & Forest (MHZ). They're in a similar vain but very different.

Now I'm not saying that you should revamp the entire level at all because it looks gorgeous and the level art isn't cliche. Okay so Act 1 is done, which is great. AIZ is a great example of what I'm about to explain, Act 1 is normal and leads the player into the mindset of just thinking that it's a regular zone and then when act two comes along OH SHIT FIRE FIRE. Whether it be a scenery change or a strange new gimmick you could really rock the boat with something unique in act 2. If you're still working on act 2 it might be an opportunity to do something like this. And then straight off the bat in act 2 the player knows the game is different and eagerly awaits the next surprises. Adds a bit of suspense and interest to carry on.

Idk it's a complete suggestion, there's nothing wrong with a vanilla kinda start level at all and yours looks great. But idk I feel like you guys have the talent to do something a little clever and different.

Good job guys :)

Sparks took the words out of my mouth, it's really nice seeing something of this game after so long of only mockups/screenshots. It looks so much better in motion, really looking forward to a demo :')

I feel like you guys could really push the boat out here. Okay so the norm is to have a vanilla, grassy start level right? Who cares? Challenge the norm a bit guys. Each new sonic game implemented new features into the start levels and kept them fresh even if they were of a similar trope: Lake District (GHZ), Seaside (EMZ), Tropical Jungle (AIZ) & Forest (MHZ). They're in a similar vain but very different.

Now I'm not saying that you should revamp the entire level at all because it looks gorgeous and the level art isn't cliche. Okay so Act 1 is done, which is great. AIZ is a great example of what I'm about to explain, Act 1 is normal and leads the player into the mindset of just thinking that it's a regular zone and then when act two comes along OH SHIT FIRE FIRE. Whether it be a scenery change or a strange new gimmick you could really rock the boat with something unique in act 2. If you're still working on act 2 it might be an opportunity to do something like this. And then straight off the bat in act 2 the player knows the game is different and eagerly awaits the next surprises. Adds a bit of suspense and interest to carry on.

Idk it's a complete suggestion, there's nothing wrong with a vanilla kinda start level at all and yours looks great. But idk I feel like you guys have the talent to do something a little clever and different.

Good job guys :)

That's actually a really good idea Chronic! That suspense stuff you were talking about can actually work in this situation. I have more learning to do then, because Delta has a few gimmick ideas up his sleeve. There's still two other levels to show for the demo, so I hope to finish it soon. :D

Like I said it won't detract from the game if you don't do it because the starting level looks great already haha. Oooh a new gimmick? Sounds intriguing! Can't wait for the demo :)

Thanks dude. :D

And SonicFan I forget to ask you but what is your take on all of this?

• 2 weeks later...
I'm perturbed by the cutoff on the edge of the platforms.

Yeah, the graphics for this stage aren't 100% done yet. Delta has to get a new screen for his laptop (which he won't be getting for another two weeks) so this will have to do until then.

Don't worry, we're aware of the issues we need to address. :)

• 3 weeks later...