A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

So, Sonic 4 EpII?

I played the demo. I think Sega is pretty gay for putting a time limit on the demo that really doesn't even let you finish the damn stage.

But the game is fun. It feels like Episode II tries less to be pseudo-classic and is starting to embrace its new playstyle alot more. As a result, Homing and shit doesn't feel so random, and the physics engine isn't as much as a gameplay cripple as it was in Sonic 4.

The music is still terribad though, i dont know what they they're trying to accomplish with it. The music is trying far too hard to sound like it's "retro", while actual retro musicians did everything in their power to utulize the soundchip to its full potential. So the music is still terribly obnoxious and annoying.

Which is a real shame. Sonic games are about 50% music to me.

Anyway, point is, the 2 minute demo time was actually enough to make me figure that this game may actually be worth $15. Has anyone here bought it and played the full version yet?

Haven't tried either one, but I will note that the running animation still seems terribly slow. That's what caused people to think Sonic felt slower than Genesis in the first one, despite the fact that he was actually faster.

Sereph, wait till there's a price drop. I'd say the game is more of a $10 game. Props to Sega for making the physics better, but otherwise the game still has plenty of dumb Sonic 4.1 moments. Such moments include pointless springs, bubble chains, and getting the goddamn spindash sounds wrong again.

the new team up moves are okay, but I hate how Tail's flight limit has been changed to number of button presses vs time itself. Especially when there are segments in the game where you are forced to use him to fly over pits and you have to have your flight presses down PERFECTLY.

Music is terribad. Especially the boss music, which you will have to listen to a lot due to the way some bosses are.

For what it's worth, the game looks great, and there are moments when it is genuinely fun, but these are overshadowed when you've failed yet another bubble chain or are forced to fly with Tails over a doom pit.

Am I going to fault people for liking this? No, but I really didn't. Give it a shit if you will, but I suggest just waiting for the inevitable sale.

Yeah, I'll be waiting a bit for it too. I mean, firstly because the WP7 version comes out next month, but also because... Ehh, just waiting to see verdicts on the console/PC version.

...And may I say that I enjoyed Episode I, or will I get flamed for that...?

I actually beat the game in one sitting I genuinely enjoyed it that much. The music might not be the greatest, but I actually liked that most of the tracks incorporated that old school sega drum beat. Gameplay wise, each act of each level is extremely varied from the other acts so you're never running into the same gimmicks often. I really liked the tails combo moves you could do and it felt like a much needed upgrade, I feel it could be handled a little better and some of the tails flying segments were a little annoying.

The bosses were actually pretty fun as well. All of this is coming from the guy that fucking HATED episode 1.

Is it worth $15? To most people here I'm going to say no. $10, definitely. It's going to be a game where your mileage may vary, so you may want to test the waters first.

So if owning and even remotely liking Ep1/Ep2 is silly in ila's book, then I must be twice as silly. ...Although in my case, that's probably not a good thing.

Music and other issues aside, I thought Ep2 was worth the price. But at $10, it'd definitely be a better sell, no doubt. I agree that despite the improved physics and graphics, some of the more notorious Ep1 gimmicks (bubble chains, too many springs/boosters) are still present in Ep2. But the placement/number of boosters feels (or seems to feel, anyways) better handled this time around. Special stages are still as frustrating as Ep1's are, but they should be easier than rotating a maze. The bosses (most of them, mind you) are actually original (or somewhat original).

Anyways, Ep2 is definitely a step in the right direction. If there is ever an Ep3, it needs to have (as Destructoid's Jim Sterling put) "more soul". Ep2 has improvements, but it's heavily lacking the ambience that came with the older games.

EDIT: I think I might've actually improved upon the Metal Sonic music. You be the judge of that.

• 3 weeks later...

friend got it, I beat it. I decide to refrain from using "safe" words around here to describe the game, since people seem to fear liking anything about these games for some reason.

I personally thought it was a very good game. If i had to rate it against the 2D titles, in sheer fun factor i would put it somewhere around Sonic Advance, which I personally found more fun than most of the genesis titles, similar to the same reasons Sonic 2 is my favorite in the series. (simple, not too terribly long, fun.)

Time to break it down:

Music:

Not as terribad as i originally thought. Some tracks are particularly obnoxious, and some are quite enjoyable. I'd be lying if i said i didn't dig the Twinkle Park remix in the snow stage.

The boss music runs like a literal 7 second loop. Oddly enough, i didn't really notice it because the tune is naturally catchy. It didn't really bother me though until the Desert boss, which managed to murder me once or twice. And it doesn't matter anyway since i believe the music only really plays for 2 bosses, since Metal Sonic has his own theme, which doesn't bother me.

Once again, the biggest drawback to this OST is them trying to remain "true to the retro games" by forcing the developers to work with pseudo-chipset synthesizers. Word of Advice, Sega -- if you want to actually capture the wonder of the Genesis chipset, then ACTUALLY limit your composers to the genesis hardware. Sonic Advance 3's OST was fucking phenomenal without trying to sound like it was made 16 years ago.

Gameplay:

The physics aren't genesis grade, nor do they try to be, nor will they probably ever. But, like with generations, this really doesn't bother me this time around. Ep II seems to embrace it's physics engine alot better than Generations and EpI does. Stage gimmicks utulize the homing attack in simple yet satisfying ways. The physics are better than they were in Generations at least. Rolling doesn't really gain momentum like it should, but it doesn't really doesn't matter past the 3rd act of the first stage anyway. (LOL 69roll)

The combo system...I like it. In fact it's one of the reasons I enjoyed Episode II. Because for the first time since Sonic 3 & Knuckles (or Advance 3, if you want to include it but i dont think it counts), it actually adds something new to the game. Sonic and Tails' combo spin is TOTALLY freaking OP, but it's really just a replacement for the Spindash. The point is, i enjoyed using it.

Tails' Flying Physics have been somewhat reworked...It bothered me at first, but once you get the fact that it's on a press count, it isn't a big deal, and that one section in Oil Ocean zone isn't so damn annoying anymore.

Level Design:

The game is pretty, and the levels utulize their own badnicks and gimmicks. It's pretty standard Sonic stuff, and to be completely honest, i really can't find anything to complain about without just nitpicking like an asshole. That one flying section in Oil Ocean was pretty gay (but only because i was trying to get that red ring), and i got crushed a few times in the Twinkle Park stage...but thats about it.

I liked Death Egg Zone. There wasn't much to do there, but i enjoyed the use of the camera rotation. I wish they made a real stage out of using it though.

Bosses:

The bosses though, they were pretty fucking awesome to me. They wern't too annoying, and they were all designed with Sonic and Tails' combo attacks in mind, so they all felt alot different from your typical 2D Sonic Boss. Metal Sonic's derpy ass near-death Insta-kill was probably the lowest point of the boss battles to me. But i enjoyed that fight too at the end.

I liked the Final Boss. They didn't pull any stupid, cheap, cheesy insta-kill shit to make you waste 7 minutes of work, either.

Special Stages:

Did I ever tell anyone how much i actually liked the Sonic 2 Special Stages? They got notoriously difficult towards the end of the game, but they were always accessible and were the only Sonic the Hedgehog Special Stages that actually made me WORK for my Chaos Emeralds. (Sonic 1 was too gay, 3&K was too easy, ALL the advance were too fucking hard)

I know they were just going with the typical Sonic 1 > Sonic 2 special stage nostalgia gig, but it actually WORKED this time. It got pretty damn difficult on emeralds 6 and 7.

Fun Fact: I would have TOTALLY hated the fuck out of these special stages if not for one fact: They let you retry the stage if you pause and press Retry. I didn't find this out until Stage 6, where shit started getting real. I dont know if this was intended or not, and i never checked if it took extra lives, but i think it's completely fair, because there's nothing worse than having extra features in a game barred off due to unreasonable difficulty.

Super Sonic :

THANK GOD his music doesn't make me want to not use him (it's bearable, although i wish it wouldnt drown out the boss music). Im happy they actually took the time to give him custom special effects (flying/spindash lighting) to make him feel like oldschool Supersonic at least. I'm a little sad he doesn't get Solo combo abilities though. I would have LOVED for him to have a command fly ability just for kicks.

was very disappointed that there is no Super Sonic boss in this game, but whatever.

-- however i am very happy they give you enough rings to activate him during bosses, since bosses aren't in act 2 anymore.

Edit: Oh wait, i did hate one stage. Fuck the sky chase act. Carried on way too long.

I'm still confused as to why there's no unlockable's or secrets for getting all the Red Rings.. it's just plain stupid. I think the unlockable may of been Episode Metal but due to people been sceptical of buying EP:II because of Ep:I's they decided to scrap the unlockable feature and just throw it in anyway to tempt people to get the game and pay for EP:1 If they bought on a different console..

Must admit that Sonic 4 Epi II was so-so, loads better than Episode I, and I think it's worth the "Sonic 4" name. Apart from the lack of unlockables, yeah...

...and I think I pee my pants and cry like a baby every time I hear White Park Act 2's music.

Episode II was more visually impressive, but that's about it. I kinda regret spending a tenner on it. And like said before, the music was rubbish. I think the only tuned I like was the special stage tune, and that wasn't too great.

I don't think there will be an episode III. They said they only do another if this one gets good reviews. And so far...

There will be a a S4:E3 as stated here..

http://youtu.be/fB7MMbJfq7c

I'm guessing Episode 3 is going to be the final one though as it says Concluded.

There is nothing in this trailer that gives even the slightest hint that there will be an Episode 3. If you're talking about the 'To Be Concluded...' thing that's obviously in reference to Episode 2.