A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

The last movie you watched

Jamie Bailey

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had germs hanging about for a while and haven't really had the attention span to sit through films, but it was only a matter of time before I returned to terrorise you all with my *INSERT YOUR OPINION OF MY MOVIE OPINIONS* movie opinions, wasn't it?

*INSERT EVIL MUSIC HERE... BECAUSE I CAN'T BE BOTHERED TO DO IT MYSELF, JUST MAKE SURE IT'S EVIL, THAT MEANS NO TELETUBBIES THEME TUNE, ALTHOUGH I GUESS THAT COULD BE CONSIDERED THE ULTIMATE EVIL, BUT STILL... YES, EVERYONE LOVES CAPSLOCK*

Shrek

Computer-animated fantasy about a reclusive green ogre (Mike Myers) whose peace is disrupted by a horde of refugees who have been banished by the evil Lord Farquaad. (2001)

Is there anyone who hasn't seen this? This is a classic and Shrek's ears are now as instantly recognisable as Mickey Mouse's (even when I have to draw him blue in the mobile game "Draw Something", people "get it" from the ears) so I imagine many people out there have had to sit through this far more times than they really wanted to. I never realised how important the soundtrack was to this film until the London West End musical came about, I saw it and it just wasn't the same without tunes such as "All-Star", "Hallelujah" and even what I consider to be the film's main melody. Heck, even "I'm A Believer" was kept right to the end, and I mean the VERY end, after the whole thing had well and truly finished, cast bowing and all, and the song just felt like they were dragging the show on too long, plus the fact that for anyone other than the skinniest of runts the seats were severely uncomfortable, certainly not suitable for ogre sized people. Film still makes me laugh after all these years. If you haven't seen this film yet, let me be the first to say welcome to planet Earth!

Shrek 2

Animated sequel following the grumpy ogre (voiced by Mike Myers) and his bride as they head off to meet her parents. The occasion is marred by a wicked fairy godmother.

This is more of the same. I don't consider this to be quite the classic the original Shrek is, but it's still a great movie, still funny, still has some great tunes, and how could anyone fail to love the new character, Puss in Boots? Awww, just look at that face! That said, I haven't seen his spin-off movie yet.

Shrek the Third

Animated sequel. Shrek must find the errant heir to Harold's throne or face wearing the crown himself. However, an old enemy has plans of his own. Mike Myers and Cameron Diaz star.

Anyone noticing a pattern here? Saw this one when it was originally in cinemas and was a bit disappointed. Watching it again on TV, it's better than I remembered but still not as good as the first two. Still, things picked up again after this one, so my next movie can only be...

Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny

(2006) Jack Black and Kyle Gass star as guitarists on a mission to become the greatest rock musicians ever. All they need is a guitar pick made from Satan's tooth.

Oh, well that's buggered it, unless this is the Director's Cut version of the fourth Shrek, but I doubt it. Anyway, this ROCKS... it also swears it's mother****ing head off and goes a bit mental. I'm not much of a rocker but this is still great with plenty of laughs, may give you an urge to eat some funky mushrooms though. ROCK ON!

Date Movie

(2006) Aaron Seltzer's comedy spoofs almost every romcom ever made. Alyson Hannigan falls for Adam Campbell but she must convince her parents he's the right man for her.

After the epic fail that was "Epic Movie" I wondered whether this would even be worth bothering with. Turned out to be alright actually, got plenty of laughs out of it.

Juno

(2007) Ellen Page stars in this whip-smart comedy-drama as Juno, just 16, who finds she's pregnant. She decides to give the baby up for adoption but has she made the right decision?

Hang on, this was supposed to have comedy in it? Anyway, this was one of those films where I wasn't sure if I was going to like it at first but found myself getting a bit irritated when the ad breaks showed up even though I skip through them, and that's when you know you've got into a film. I'm not itching to see it again but it was a decent enough watch for me.

Shrek pulled one of the most epic blindside emotional gut punches i can remember seeing, as i usually see most of them coming and dont really care. Yeah, it was a great movie.

Another great animated movie that i seem to keep forgetting was so good was Ice Age. I've never seen the other sequels, but the first one is an instant classic to me. It was just really well written and, like shrek, used its music in a pretty neat way.

• 2 weeks later...

National Treasure: Book of Secrets

Adventure sequel. Treasure hunter Benjamin Franklin Gates (Nicolas Cage) seeks to discover the truth behind the assassination of Abraham Lincoln. (2007)

Around Christmas time I watched the first one of these and was very surprised as I wasn't expecting it to be anywhere near as good as it actually turned out to be. This second one seemed to take a little while to get going but picked up after a while, although I still preferred the first one.

Jungle 2 Jungle

(1997) Tim Allen plays a Wall Street high-flyer who must divorce JoBeth Williams. But first, their teen son, raised in the South American jungle, wants to taste the delights of New York.

Ah, so this is why I have an odd obsession with the idea of eating my cat... Here's one I used to like watching back in it's day. I still find it a decent watch, got a few laughs, though I don't find it as funny as I did in my teenage years.

Total Recall

Sci-fi action thriller starring Arnold Schwarzenegger and Rachel Ticotin, 1990. A seemingly ordinary man discovers some surprising things regarding his true identity.

FINALLY! Back in my school days, my friends used to mention this film and until now, I've never seen it. I got my recording box in July last year and I've been waiting for this to come on, especially knowing there's a remake coming, any normal person probably would have just bought the blinkin' DVD, but me? Nah, I'm far from normal._

So considering I've waited two decades, two thirds of my life so far, to see this, I thought there'd be no way it could live up to my expectations and braced myself for a complete letdown._I was entirely wrong, I loved it, and not just because of the woman with three boobs, although I am now obsessed with the idea and want all women to have at least three boobs from now on, niiice.

This is one film I can't imagine Hollywood being able to properly remake. No matter how good an alternative the new one turns out to be, the remake simply won't be the same experience (though it looks like they're going for a different feel anyway), and I say that after only one viewing, so let's just hope the new one's a good alternative, then.

Slither

(2006) Horror. Nathan Fillon plays a small-town police chief faced by deadly bloodthirsty slugs which are turning the local townsfolk into aliens.

Well, this wasn't what I thought it was going to be at all, I was expecting it to be one of those serious modern horror films that tries to be scary but isn't. Turned out it's more like a slightly daft and cheesy retro space creature movie that ended up being more funny than scary.

The moment the space creature took control of Grant's body was when I knew I certainly wasn't watching a serious film. Up until he mutated too far, possessed Grant's movement and behaviour was hilarious, like intentionally bad acting, and the part where he was at the supermarket buying meat had me laughing in a way that even the funniest comedies can't usually manage. Maybe it was so funny because it was completely unexpected, but this was a good surprise for me.

Along Came a Spider

Seen it before, but it was a really long time ago. Morgan Freeman is always great, but i forgot how intriguing of an actor the kidnapper guy was. Whoever played the little girl was also a very believable actor.

Total Recall

Yes. This movie is amazing.

Yesterday I watch In Time with Justin Timberlake. Pretty entertaining popcorn action flick if you ask me, the world it takes place in is interesting as well. (People are genetically mutated so that they can basically live forever but never age past 25, however when they hit 25 they get 1 year on their arm clock, when that goes out they die- the use time as currency)

And I finally got my Battle Royale Complete Edition Blu-Ray set in. One of my all time favorite movies (The first, the sequel is kinda eh). It's set in a dystopian Japan where the country is in real bad shape. Crime rates are higher, unemployment is at an all time high and the youth is out of control.

To solve the youth problem the government picks 1 graduating high school class a year to be sent to an island where they will be forced to kill each other until there is only one survivor.

Movie is absolutely brilliant- go watch.

Wayne's World

(1992) Mike Myers and Dana Carvey play the hosts of Wayne's World, a cult cable show. But slimy TV executive Rob Lowe has plans for the programme and for the babelicious Tia Carrere.

Wayne's World! Wayne's World! It's party time! Excellent! Surely this has to be the most memorable forgettable film ever? Turns out I didn't remember this film as well as I thought I did at all, of course I remembered the Bohemian Rhapsody head banging, but I really didn't remember these guys talking to the camera so much, I didn't remember the film having three endings and I certainly didn't remember Sonic 1's Star Light Zone making an appearance on a TV screen at the very start of the film. Even though the film's budget couldn't even afford a fourth wall, and the fact that I didn't find the film as funny as I had remembered it being, it's still an alright watch, it just feels really odd these days watching Mike Myers play a character that isn't Austin Powers.

Miami Vice

Update of the 80s crime series starring Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx, 2006. Two detectives team up to take on a drugs ring but one of the partners finds himself increasingly conflicted.

I'm not familiar with the series this is based on so I can't compare the two, but this film absolutely bored me to death. Maybe it needed more 80s.

Magicians

Comedy starring David Mitchell and Robert Webb, 2007. Two warring magicians attempt to patch up their differences to win the biggest prize in magic.

Despite living here in England, it feels rather odd when I come across a British film as I'm so used to seeing American films, but when I do come across a British film, I usually find I like it, which also holds true for this film. Pleasantly surprised and got plenty of laughs from this one. Suck my wand?

Sphere

Science fiction thriller starring Sharon Stone and Dustin Hoffman. A mysterious sphere is found in a spaceship on the ocean bed, and it soon proves to have disturbing powers. (1997)

Never heard of this. For quite a while I was finding this incredibly boring. It was a film I really had to stick with as it's pace did eventually start to pick up, and when it did, there was certainly a deep sea "Alien" vibe to the film. As if some of the sets weren't reminding me of "Alien" enough, some scenes felt like underwater-themed variations of those in "Alien", the film even had a meal time scene where I pretty much expected an alien to burst out of Samuel L. Jackson's chest. So the film starts dull but definitely gets more interesting as it goes on, but felt like it ran a bit too long due to it's slow start, and reminding me all too much of a sci-fi classic didn't work in it's favour either.

The Avengers

Sci-Fi/Action, Marvel/Disney/Paramount, 2012

A combination of intense action, explosions, humor, a working story & dialogue, and six Marvel icons teaming up to create what can only be described as the most awesome movie of 2012, more or less all time.

Yes. This movie is amazing.

Yesterday I watch In Time with Justin Timberlake. Pretty entertaining popcorn action flick if you ask me, the world it takes place in is interesting as well. (People are genetically mutated so that they can basically live forever but never age past 25, however when they hit 25 they get 1 year on their arm clock, when that goes out they die- the use time as currency)

And I finally got my Battle Royale Complete Edition Blu-Ray set in. One of my all time favorite movies (The first, the sequel is kinda eh). It's set in a dystopian Japan where the country is in real bad shape. Crime rates are higher, unemployment is at an all time high and the youth is out of control.

To solve the youth problem the government picks 1 graduating high school class a year to be sent to an island where they will be forced to kill each other until there is only one survivor.

Movie is absolutely brilliant- go watch.

Man battle royal...started reading the actual manga back when i was in middleschool in a bookstore across from my dad's office in atlanta. Traumatizing gore and explicit sexual themes. Probably the reason why i still read Gantz now.

I didn't know there was a movie, though. But im almost absolutely positive it cant be true to the manga. I think i'll try to find it. You should probably peak at the original manga...

Ray

Oscar-winning drama starring Jamie Foxx and Kerry Washington, 2004. The turbulent life story of blind musical genius Ray Charles.

My knowledge of music is utterly appalling, I've heard many songs in my life and never known the titles or who sung them, likewise, I've heard of many famous singers and bands but never known which songs they're famous for, Ray Charles was one of them. By coincidence, this film gets broadcast at a time when I'm wondering just who is Ray Charles?

So going in not as a fan, and knowing this is based on someone's life, I wasn't expecting too much. Right at the start, I hear a familiar tune and got a feeling I was going to like this one, and certainly wasn't disappointed, this is actually a fantastic movie. The life story of Ray Charles actually made rather interesting viewing and I was gripped the whole way through, a great surprise.

Walk the Line

(2005) Joaquin Phoenix plays Johnny Cash, and Oscar-winner Reese Witherspoon plays June Carter in James Mangold's acclaimed biographical film about country music's legendary "Man in Black".

Yes, another movie about a singer's life, except this time it's Johnny Cash, someone who I'm a little more familiar with due to my brother being a bit of a fan.

Watching this after "Ray", it had a tough act to follow but this is also a great movie, although in a couple spots I did find myself drifting into space.

STOP PRESS! JAMIE BAILEY TO LIVE IN LOCAL CINEMA

Well, almost, I've got hold of a 12-month Cineworld (our local cinema) Unlimited pass on a good deal, so I can see as many films as I want, as many times as I want throughout the upcoming year without paying anything more, well, unless I want to see something in 3D, which would still cost me £1.50 each time, gits._So as well as TV recordings, I'm taking my random movie-watching habits to the cinema, so I'll be able to comment on the bang up to date stuff, as well as moan when I inevitably get sick of watching movies.

With the way things worked out with obtaining said pass, I ended up with a mad rush, but got down to the cinema in time to catch their final showing of...

The Hunger Games (cinema)

There can be only one teenage survivor in this thrilling televised battle set in a cruel future USA!

Ooh yes, you almost got away from me, my lovely. A cracking way to start my new cinema run, I liked this. I've never read the book this is based on, so I actually found that a lot of the time, this film had much less of a sci-fi feel than I was expecting, instead I find myself watching a girl with a skill for archery trying to survive a televised killing free-for-all going on in a forest. Watching a series of Big Brother will never be the same again, I want housemates to start killing each other from now on. Great movie, very entertaining.

Puss in Boots (cinema)

The swashbuckling legend of Shrek's feline friend is revealed in this animated comedy spin-off!

Now here's a movie I didn't think I'd get to see for a couple years, but the cinema brings back a few kids' movies for cheap on Saturday mornings. I was a little unsure of this at first, it had a more "Zorro" feel instead of Shrek's fairytale/party feel, but then Humpty Dumpty turns up and sorts that out. After a short time, it picked up and was actually a great movie, although I didn't laugh as much as I expected to.

American (Pie) Reunion (cinema)

Older but none the wiser, the American Pie gang are back for more outrageous comedy exploits

I think I saw the first three American Pie films back in their day, though I remember hardly anything of them now, apart from the pie thing, I remember that. So the whole reunion thing with old friends bumping into each other wasn't as effective for me as it would be for someone more familiar with the earlier films, but I hadn't planned on seeing this beforehand, I was killing time with my mother and the showtime for this was the most ideal._But despite my lack of memories, this was actually rather funny and still a great watch, but I'd definitely recommend going in with a good knowledge of the earlier films.

Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists (Band Of Misfits) (cinema)

Walk the plank with Hugh Grant's Pirate Captain in a brilliant animated adventure from the makers of Wallace and Gromit!

According to the cinema website, this movie has a runtime of 88 minutes, which is a somewhat appropriate number because I think we must have time traveled while watching this. That 88 minutes flew by and felt more like 30 minutes, if that, and that has to be the sign of a great, highly entertaining film. Aardman are like the UK stop-motion animation equivalent of Pixar, every film I've seen from both studios has been great, full of imagination while at the same time being well suited for both kids and adults, it's just a shame Aardman can't pump films out faster. The only complaint I have here is that this film failed to make me laugh anywhere near as much as I expected, but I can't argue when a film makes time fly like this.

The Lucky One (cinema)

Heart-throb Zac Efron stars in a powerful story of love and destiny

This is where the random stuff begins. Despite initially giving the impression there was going to be a bit of action in this film by starting off with a sequence following marines during a raid, this is actually a very peaceful love story. The film just plods along nicely without ever getting too dramatic apart from a scene near the end. Certainly not one to watch when you're in the mood for action or excitement, but luckily I was in the mood for a peaceful sit down and this suited just nicely.

Jeff, Who Lives At Home (cinema)

Quirky comedy about an aging slacker who sets out to discover his destiny!

Oh dear, I found this rather boring and unfunny. The scenes following Jeff's mother at work were more interesting than those following the main character himself. By coincidence, an old friend walked in while I was waiting for this film to start and he seemed to agree this was boring. Disappointing.

Dark Shadows (cinema)

Johnny Depp stars as a 200-year-old vampire in Tim Burton's fantastic gothic comedy!

After seeing the trailer for this which made the film look aweful, it's actually better than I was expecting, although to be fair, it only had to be more entertaining than "Jeff, Who Lives At Home", which isn't really a hard task. I was expecting this film to be full of over-the-top unfunny silliness, but it was actually more serious than I expected, but never too serious, with daft comedic moments here and there, although I didn't laugh myself, kids in the audience got quite a few laughs from it. A decent enough watch for me, but nothing special.

A few days ago I went up to my local record exchange store and found a Blu-ray copy of Street Kings for 5 bucks.

I don't really remember hearing about a theatrical release but hey.

The whole thing really made me think of Brooklyn's Finest in some odd way.

All in all the only problem I had with it was the Game's piece was not very convincing compared to his story telling in his albums.

(Although it was funny to see him put some kind of malt liquor in his cereal.)

That's all, I'm not really good at reviewing movies.

Man battle royal...started reading the actual manga back when i was in middleschool in a bookstore across from my dad's office in atlanta. Traumatizing gore and explicit sexual themes. Probably the reason why i still read Gantz now.

I didn't know there was a movie, though. But im almost absolutely positive it cant be true to the manga. I think i'll try to find it. You should probably peak at the original manga...

Battle Royale was a Novel first, then a movie, then a manga D:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Royale

Didn't know it had manga or a novel... I'll make a note to go give 'em a read one day.

I just got done watching Ninja Turtles 3, one of the live action ones. I realize that the action is completely different than the original, it's less of a "hey this is cool because it's a cartoon gone real, in the 90's" and more of a, "surprisingly cool because this is what I'd expect from a plot of a cartoon turned into a movie, in the 90's". Just like with the Transformers franchise. That reminds me that the original transformer cartoon, and all the others that followed, had human companions for the Autobots (besides Beast wars). Makes Sam Witwicky seem all the more enjoyable as an element to the story.

Starman (TV)

John Carpenter's romantic sci-fi drama, starring Jeff Bridges as an alien who takes on the appearance of Karen Allen's dead husband to escape from pursuing authorities. (1984)

Odd one, this, never heard of it. It couldn't consistantly hold my attention, it constantly went through stages where I'd find it entertaining and stages where I'd find myself drifting into space, but I did get plenty of laughs from the alien character as he tries to learn the English language and human way of life.

The 40-Year-Old Virgin (TV)

Comedy starring Steve Carell and Catherine Keener, 2005. A 40-year-old electronics store worker desperately tries to lose his virginity.

I liked this one, kept me entertained nicely. Got a few laughs from this film but I'm actually surprised I didn't laugh more, it certainly looked like I should have laughed at more of the jokes in this film, maybe my sense of humour was having a sleep.

Nurse Betty (TV)

(2000) Renee Zellweger stars as a waitress who, in shock after her husband's murder, believes she's engaged to the star of her favourite soap.

Never heard of this film, but it seriously reminded me of an episode of "Quantum Leap" in which time-traveling main character, Sam Beckett, "leaped" into the life of an actor of a TV soap doctor, only to be kidnapped by a crazy female fan who couldn't separate fiction from reality. So it was interesting just to see the comparison and kept me entertained nicely, and Morgan Freeman's in it too, which tends to be a good thing.

Salmon Fishing In The Yemen (cinema)

Ewan McGregor stars in a romantic fable about a scientist recruited for a crazy scheme to bring fly-fishing to the desert!

Went in knowing practically nothing about this film, turns out it's one of those British films, which usually tends to be a good thing but I'm not so impressed on this occasion. Most of the humour failed to make me laugh, it was an okay watch to kill some time but not really my thing, I was expecting a lot more fishing.

Marvel's Avengers Assemble (The Avengers) (cinema)

Thor, The Hulk, Iron Man and captain America team up in the ultimate Marvel superhero spectacular!

Right, now the trouble with this is that I've heard too much of this "it's the best movie ever!" nonsense, so this had to be something pretty special in order not to disappoint, but you know what? It actually is a brilliant movie, certainly not "best movie ever", unless you're a massive Marvel fan, then I'm sure this is all your Christmases rolled into one.

Having all these superheroes together in one movie certainly ups the entertainment factor, with good amounts of humour and plenty of action, but never too much action, I was certainly never bored. I was surprised at how funny the Hulk was, I definitely found him more entertaining here than in his solo movie sequel "The Incredible Hulk", though I've still yet to see "The Hulk" that came before it. Yep, let's have another one of these please, Marvel.

Spiderman didn't formally (or at all, I guess) join the Avengers until recently in the whole comic continuity. The Avengers that are in the movie are all founding members. Spider-Man could easily have 10-20 more movies before he joined the Avengers in the movie continuity, considering he'd graduated college and had become a teacher long before he joined.

Battleship.

It was...interesting? Sorry, any time aliens are advanced enough to voluntarily arrive at your planet and still lose to you in an arms race, i kind of question the movie writing.

I couldn't help but think about how pathetically incompetent the aliens were in this movie to end up the way they did. Anytime you can travel lightyears in the amount of time it takes a guy to join the navy (indicating faster than light travel), have warship-sized machines survive reentry speeds and use technology we havent even heard of (including some Spartan Armor type shit) and then get blown up by battleships and beaten in fist-fights by amputees i have a hard time swallowing it all.

It was an interesting movie though. Special Effects were eye catching.

The Dictator (cinema)

Sacha Baron Cohen returns as the world's most appalling tyrant in this hilarious new comedy!

I liked Sacha Baron Cohen when he used to play Ali G, but I didn't find "Borat" or "Bruno" as funny as I was expecting, so I'm surprised at just how funny this film is, and the laughs managed to keep coming all the way through the film. I just wish this was longer as it's only 84 minutes, but perhaps it was better not to stretch it too far, as what's here was highly entertaining.

With The Dictator's short runtime, I managed to time it up perfectly to come out of one cinema screen at the end of the film and go directly into another just in time to watch...

The Raid (cinema)

The battle is well and truly on in this breathtaking blend of eastern martial arts and western action cinema.

If I was handing out awards, this movie would win "Best film I didn't understand". Being an Indonesian film, plus the fact that I don't get on well with subtitles, and watching this on the cinema screen without my beloved TV remote control allowing me to pause and rewind (believe it or not, I almost reached out for my remote at one point when the music faded out in a way that, on TV, would usually indicate an ad break is about to start, old habits do die hard), I had no chance of keeping up with the subtitles in this, and squinting to try and read them with my poor eyesight was giving me a headache so I had to stop trying for the most part.

Luckily for me there wasn't too much plot to follow, and there was so much action that I never got bored or fed up. It kinda was like watching a game, at one point it was almost like watching Call of Duty, then it all goes martial arts mental. Just a shame I wasn't getting the full understanding of it... and that the cinema made almost every effort not to advertise the fact that this isn't an English language film.

The Love Letter (TV)

Romantic comedy. A love letter is found in a sleepy New England town. No-one knows who it is meant for, causing great curiosity. Kate Capshaw stars. (1999)

My recording for this was 84 minutes long, the same length as "The Dictator" and broadcast on BBC One, so no ad breaks. This time, however, 84 minutes felt waaay too long as I was mostly bored watching this, the film just didn't feel like it was going anywhere and never really managed to pick up pace. The word "sleepy" is quite accurate, now I just need to work out why they also used the word "comedy" in the description, maybe I slept through the jokes without realising.

Wedding Crashers (TV)

(2005) Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn gatecrash weddings in order to pick up women while they're at their most romantically vulnerable in this romantic comedy.

Ah, now this is a much better romantic comedy, I like this one. No sleeping here as this one entertained me the whole way through with quite a few laughs.

Crocodile Dundee (TV)

(1986) Films for Life: Paul Hogan plays Crocodile Dundee, the fearless Australian outback hero who takes on the wilds of New York in Peter Faiman's Oscar-nominated comedy.

I think I probably did watch this at a young age, but didn't remember it. Despite my lack of memory, it's actually a good film, found Crocodile Dundee quite an interesting character to watch. Got a few small laughs but didn't find the film that funny.

Crocodile Dundee II (TV)

(1988) Paul Hogan returns as Mick "Crocodile" Dundee, using his bush skills to save his journalist girlfriend (Linda Kozlowski) after she's kidnapped by a drugs baron.

Yep, a Dundee double. This sequel started very well, I was finding it more entertaining and more funny than the original, especially the scene with the suicidal guy about to jump off the side of a tall building, but as the film went on, it slowly got less entertaining and less funny. I was rather bored by the end of the film, at least the first one was consistant. One other issue... after watching these two films, I now want a can of Foster's lager.

Ended up seeing The Dictator again as mum decided she wanted to see it, then straight afterwards we saw...

Men in Black 3 (cinema)

Alien-battling Agents J and K return for a hilarious time-travelling adventure to save the Earth

After MIB 2, I'm surprised they didn't just reboot the series, and after seeing MIB 3? I'm still surprised they didn't just reboot the series. This new one keeps exactly the same kid-friendly feel as the first two, so some of the old appeal has probably just worn off because I'm older now, in fact, I'm twice the age I was when the first MIB movie came out, but I still expected more laughs. It's definitely better than MIB 2 and I like the time travel plot, mixing time travel with aliens reminds me of Doctor Who, but as nice as it is to see Will Smith and (partly) Tommy Lee Jones back in their roles, I'd have liked to see a slightly fresher take on this series, it just doesn't feel like it's moved on much.

The Wedding Singer (TV)

Romantic comedy about a singer working on the wedding circuit in the 1980s. He is distraught after being jilted at his own wedding, but a waitress soon catches his eye. (1998)

Now here's one of those films I've waited far too long to see, but unlike "Total Recall", which lived up to my expectations and then some, this one royally failed to live up to my long-time expectations because I didn't laugh, at all, not even once. To be fair, it isn't a bad film at all, it entertained me well enough and I'd probably have felt much more positive about it if I hadn't waited so long to see it, but I just simply didn't laugh at all, and for a comedy, that's failure.

The Last Mimzy (TV)

(2007) Family sci-fi drama. Siblings find "toys" which have been sent from the future to pass on a crucially important message for mankind. But can the children cope with the task set them?

Well, you certainly get to hear some odd noises in this one. This was a decent enough watch for me, but the film seems to be aimed more at kids than anyone else, and I'd imagine this being great for them.

The Road (TV)

In a post apocalyptic world, a father and son fight for survival, battling cold, hunger and cannibals. Starring Viggo Mortensen.

Now this must be a new record for me, I stopped watching this after just fifteen minutes, it was just too dull. I usually give films a good chance as sometimes they pick up after a while, but I was hating this one so much already, I really didn't want to wait and find out.

Little Miss Sunshine (TV)

(2006) Films for Life: Oscar-winning comedy with Greg Kinnear, Toni Collette and Alan Arkin, who set off on a road trip so their daughter can attend a beauty pageant.

And this is a perfect example of one of those films that picks up after a while. I wasn't too sure of this at first, but once it got to the road trip, the film just kept getting better as it went along, and eventually even gets funny later on. A great surprise.

Picture Perfect (TV)

(1997) Jennifer Aniston stars in this romantic comedy as an advertising designer who's life goes awry when she fakes her engagement to a wedding photographer (Jay Mohr) to get a promotion.

Not much to say for this one, not very funny but it's a pleasant enough watch.

What To Expect When You're Expecting (cinema)

An all-star romantic comedy about the joys - and surprises! - of impending parenthood.

I was sat alone in this one with a mostly female audience way behind me (do I really smell that bad?), which is just as well because I didn't really laugh at this film but they all got a few laughs from it. It was a fine enough watch, but this definitely seems to be one made purely for the ladies.

Moonrise Kingdom (cinema)

Bill Murray and Bruce Willis star in Wes Anderson's brilliantly quirky tale of the hunt for two missing children.

Yeah, I had to get my head round the "quirky" style of this film. Once I managed that, it was an okay watch, but I did find myself drifting into space a few times. I actually preferred the girly film I had just watched before this.

Snow White And The Huntsman (cinema)

Kristen Stewart and Chris Hemsworth star in a thrilling action-adventure makeover of the classic fairytale.

Mum's been waiting months to see this, and luckily for her, her opinion of this movie is much more positive than mine. I drifted into space a couple times, but it's a decent watch. Certainly an improvement on the previous two films I'd just watched, but kinda felt like an excuse to put some special effects on the screen. It's good enough, but a Walt Disney classic this ain't.

The Hills Have Eyes (TV)

(2006) Ted Levine stars as the head of a family stranded in the desert where flesh-hungry mutant monsters wait...

This film kept switching from one extreme to another, things are quite dull when it's just the family on screen, but then the entertainment kicks in whenever there's danger and the freaks show up. Nice bit of gory horror, just what I needed on a sleepy Sunday morning.

The Astronaut's Wife (TV)

Sci-fi thriller starring Johnny Depp and Charlize Theron, 1999. When an astronaut returns from a routine mission, his wife feels he is a changed man.

Eeerm... well at least this movie is a lot more consistent, it's just a shame that it's consistently dull. ZZZzzz...