A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Report Post Feature Gone. Well, not technically, but superficially.

DimensionWarped

I'm not sure how to just take this button away quite yet, but believe me when I say it's on the chopping block. This little thing is pointless and annoying and serves only to spam our inboxes with the occasional out of context message which serves to do nothing other than irrititate.

SFGHQ staff is far more likely to take action on a post if you simply send a private message to an admin or moderator. On that point though, not one of us gives a damn if someone is getting 'too conversational' in the screenshots thread or if you have some really minor squabble to work out. Also, I'm not sure about all the other admins and moderators on here, but I'm very frequently available on AIM and I have my current screen name on display so that you can get ahold of me if you have a need for it.

Again, don't use the report a post feature. No one will read it, nothing will happen, and it's just better in general for you to actually start a dialog with someone to get issues that would call for it resolved.

Thing is, it's hard to identify who actually is a mod. Like, there's nothing to differentiate Gamerdude from everyone else.

Maybe add a mod banner like Dimension Winnie's Programmer Storm one? :P

I'm not really fond of people being able to easily identify mods and admins just by looking at our pictures. It's nice that you actually have to have some relationship with the forum to understand how we operate. And more to the point, I don't especially like the idea of people acting differently when addressing someone just because they have a little sticker under their name.

Doesn't that sort of go against removing the report function though? You're saying to take it to a mod, but also that people shouldn't be able to identify who they are.

What GSoft said. I just couldn't find it.

Also, I think that's part of the beauty of it. Frankly, I don't care to be pestered at all by the people who can't be bothered to figure out who the admins are.

I'm not really fond of people being able to easily identify mods and admins just by looking at our pictures. It's nice that you actually have to have some relationship with the forum to understand how we operate. And more to the point, I don't especially like the idea of people acting differently when addressing someone just because they have a little sticker under their name.

agreed, fuck the mods on this forum anyway

dont ban me

Being that we're on a pretty outdated version of vBulletin anyway... could we possibly look into plugins/updates available to make the board a little more friendly without too much hassle? I know it's super-lame... but having the ability to "LIKE" or "+/-" a post seems second-nature in today's socially-driven world. I think that'd be a great thing to have that could tie into the rep system.

I mean... I could be completely off my rocker here... but does anyone disagree with that?

I don't really agree with it, but at the same time I don't especialy disagree with it. To be blunt, I've always found the whole 'like' or '+1' thing to be less about friendliness and more a way of starting some kind of egotistical circle jerk, but at the same time, that's more or less exactly what rep is and at least if it were something visibly tied to posts like that, it would be simple to track without needing to dive into admin tools all the time.

Really though that's entirely up to Smidge. He'd be the one who has to mangle with all that shit.