A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Metal Sonic Hyperdrive release

DarkonMK

MetalSonicHyperdrive.png

MetalSonicHyperdrive_000.pngMetalSonicHyperdrive_001.png

MetalSonicHyperdrive_002.pngMetalSonicHyperdrive_003.png

MetalSonicHyperdrive_004.pngMetalSonicHyperdrive_007.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0vFYHpkZQI

Download:

http://www.mediafire.com/?asskgwc8t5laald

(Mirror):

http://www.4shared.com/file/7z3y2bsq/Metal_Sonic_Hyperdrive_V10.html

A Full hack of Sonic the Hedgehog 1, with tons of Features, Brand New Levels, Playable Characters, and more. the build is much like a heavily updated Overdrive, since I changed the name, due to the fans.

Changes since Overdrive (beta):

- New and Improved Jumpdash

- Improved Menu with extra modes

- Updated and Improved Layouts and Art in Every Level

- Extra Characters get their own Win theme

- Shit-ton of Bigfixes

- New Title Screen

- Works in Real Hardware (thanks to robivy64 for testing)

- Few of the soundtracks are changed

- Collect the Chao Emeralds just by jumping through the Giant Ring disregarding the Special Stages

- I think there more :b

Credits:

Vladikcomper - Destroy Enemy = Ring code (only for Somari)

Hcktrox - Menu and Music

Nineko - Music

CS and Yuski - Metal Sonic Sprites

Quricodoido - few Music

GHFusion - Chaotix Music

Mercury - Editable Walljump sourcecode

Esrael - S2 Level Select

MarkeytheJester - Sonic Crackers Music

Selbi - Super Peelout

Tweaker - Sound Driver

Storyline:

One Day, after the defeat of Dr'Eggman by the hands of Sonic. Eggman decided to build a Power Armor sult based off EggRobo and travel to Mobius to capture Sonic and Tails by sending them into a Cosmic portal to trap them, but luckily, Tails escaped. he knew that Sonic is missing and he decided to sneak into Eggman's HQ and grab the parts of Eggman's robots and pieces. Tails later go to his home in the Mystic Ruins and created a new robot, based off Metal Sonic classic model, Codename: METAL. with the ability to feel and behave almost exactly like Sonic, with a special move to directly Jumpdash in any direction, and Walljump through unreachable places. Tails was able to track Eggman to where hes heading by using his Radar, so Tails send Metal Sonic to Resort Isle, where Eggman was heading to. in hopes to find Sonic and Destory Dr'Eggman once and for all.

Eggman later decided to create a mystic portal into other worlds to make his Egg Empire bigger then before,

sending his robots to Kirby, Somari, and Darkon's Worlds attempting to destroy everything in its Path.

the madness has just begun.

Wow, what an improvement. I remember your last release was a crap shoot. It looks like you've really taken what was said to heart and made your hack 10x better for it! I played though to Floating Ruins level and then I game overed and quit for now. But I had a lot of fun playing it.

Your level design improved greatly. You've managed to create some cleaver challenges that actually put to use the extra moves you've created. At least for Metal Sonic. That's who I played as!

I was also impressed by how you used the existing Sonic 1 gimmicks. Many of the gimmicks seemed to have a twist to them and that's hard to do within the confines of Sonic 1.

Speaking of, I was also really impressed with how each level felt new. Again hard to do within Sonic 1 I'd imagine. But each of your levels had an interesting and different environment that felt vastly different from Sonic 1 levels. It also helped that you gave each act a different palette and some of the palette even changed within the stage itself. That kind of stuff really kept the hack from getting old because there was constantly more to see.

Did I mention the enemies? I really liked all your badnik edits, especially the cata-crawller and metal sonic badnik! The bosses too were pretty interesting remixes of Sonic 1 bossess.

The hack wasn't all good though. It was a little rough around the edges. Solid green ramps, and various other choppy tiles kept the graphics from shining. As is the level environments while interesting felt incomplete.

I also ran into a lot of bugs particularly with zoom tubes that functioned in all sorts of weird ways. A few times I also fell through floors too.

Last, while level design is vastly improved and your difficult is much better. I dare say you might have gone too far and made the game a smidge on the easy side. Yeah I know I got a game over but truthfully about half the deaths were from bugs.

Overall though it was a fun hack though. Good effort man!

I guess my best suggestion at this point is that you use a better engine next time... One that can handle all this because Sonic 1 really shouldn't even run with all this. Try modding Chaotix, if possible. If not, the Sonic & Knuckles. Sound good?
You don't know much about hacking do you?

Absolutely nothing, no. Why wouldn't it be better (if not harder, waaay harder) to hack a better engine...?
Because there's a lack of resources to hack Chaotix and Sonic 3K majorly. Sonic 1 has the most research, with Sonic 2 shortly behind. ROM hacking is an entirely different medium from fan games.

Gotcha'... So you're saying that after 15+ years, we still have no clue? Yet we've cracked Super Smash Bros Brawl already after 4 years... I wonder...

But yeah, I knew it was a whole different animal.

It's more of lack of interest and shortage of knowledge in Genesis hardware, in comparison to modern consoles like the Wii and 360, where knowledge is more abundant.

But yeah, back on topic now. :awink:

Sonic 3 & Knuckles are almost impossible to hack, due to unreasonable corruptions, I've only manage to change 10% of the game.

as for Sonic 2, it had better level layouts, collisions, and designs, but not my thing.

and the max amount of Chunks is around #$51 I think, which is why few of the level layouts in Hyperdrive are kinda odd. and the tile limit of course for the PLC (Pattern Load Cues) but yeah, Sonic 2 had better level design for more Loops and Chunks.

• 2 weeks later...