A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

[GM8] Green hill zone remake...? + Sonic Megalo spoiler

Jettezu

Sorry for the pointless title,but just couldn't think of anything else to put as title.

First of all, I was not trying to make the best green hill zone ever(there are alot better remakes out there), I was just playing around a bit and thought I could try making my own remake.

My goal here was to avoid using the bloody sonic advance tiles. (yes,they are starting to annoy me since they are used in almost every freaking sonic advance styles fan game) I know my the tiles I used aren't the best either,I just slightly edited the orginal graphics,but they look fine imo.

so here are two screenshots:screenshot1.pngscreenshot2.png

and here is the actuall very very short green hill remake game: http://www.mediafire.com/?n2aw3w9al5ksli2

I know this is very short and bad ,but don't bother making a critique over it,I am not gonna continue making it anyway. (Thaaaat be a bad idea,cause it would just suck)

This was just made out of plain boredom.

Oh and btw,If the thing above dissapointed you much,here is a little spoiler on what im actually working.

There is also a link to the demo in the video description,but im warning you again,the early demo sucks, I'm currently remaking the game beause of its suckyness.

It seems you used the sonic Dev engine for that game.....

It's a good engine if you know how to use it (I was one of the helpers)

Anyways, you should never mix sprites like that It looks awful...And for the Green Hill Remake.. Uee classic sprites they loook much better with the tiles (even though you are making it into advance, I think using genesis sprites is better)

It seems you used the sonic Dev engine for that game.....

It's a good engine if you know how to use it (I was one of the helpers)

Anyways, you should never mix sprites like that It looks awful...And for the Green Hill Remake.. Uee classic sprites they loook much better with the tiles (even though you are making it into advance, I think using genesis sprites is better)

oh, Now I see what you're talking about! Sonic Megalo,right?

I know I used dev for that one.

Ok,I knew not everybody would like the level graphics,but could you specify whats wrong with them? Is it more the shading,or do the decorations not mach,or is it something else? I used sonic rush tiles for the main ground,since sonic advance hasn't got many decent tiles to use(IMO) and mixing genesis tiles would make it look even more awful. And all the decorations and backgrounds are pending,this is just an early release and I'm changing most of the things. Thanks for the opinion,anyway.If you have any suggestions how to make it a bit less awful,then tell me.

Uh........ I don't have much to say about the green hill,since I'm not gonna continue with it,but thanks again for the comment.

Ok,guys.

Now talking abou Sonic Megalo,have you got any ideas how I could make it better? I mean the graphics and visuals,I know about the bugs and horrible evel design myself. as I said that what you saw was an early release and most of the graphics are pending and probaly will be changed later on.

(lol,I think I should re-name the theard "Sonic Megalo" now XD )

The grass needs a shadow, Like this:

Shadow%20Example.png

You should sort out the tiling issues you seem to have as well. They seem to be a bit over the place and varying in sizes. Make sure you keep your tiles into blocks of like 8 16 32 64 128 etc. It helps to keep them organize and make sure they'll always tile correctly.

Ok,so today I've being working on Sonic Megalo.

and here is what I came up with: screeny.png

I know it kind of looks awful,but to be dead honest I actually started liking those graphics .

Those tiles you are seeing are no way final,they are just one of the many ideas I may use,and you see that I have no background yet,I still need to think what to do for a background.

also,as a little thing to compare,here is what Sonic Megalo looked before: oldscreeny.png

When I created it I thought it was cool,but when I look at it now,It is just awful as hell.

Earthmaster is right,I used the revival engine for the Green hill thing.

But I used an old version of the dev engine for Sonic Megalo,and I'm currently re-doing the game with a new version of the engine.

...It's Goshi, ya'know...

Anywhoo, I'll keep on the lookout for this project. I hope that your project goes well, Jettezu.

• 2 months later...

Oh dang.......2 months of nothing. Sorry for this big hiatus.

Well I've been working on this a bit,so right now I have 2 screenshots to show you megalo1.jpg orsonicmegalo2.png Which one is better? I can't really deside.

Also,as you see I have 2 versions,with different engines,one is made with the DEV engine,the other one with the Revival Unleashed engine.

Why?....Well thats a longer story,but to make it short,I just couldn't find the memory stick with my files on it,I lost it and couldn't find it anywhere,so I was out of hope finding it and I started to remake the game,and today I somehow found my memory stick >.<

Thats also the reason for the hiatus,I just didn't have my files.Now that I have my old file and new file, I don't know which one I should continue on. Also,I don't really know which tiles to use,those one the first screenshot,or those on the second one?

Guys,got any suggestions for me?

Taking Hybrid35's suggestion,I made some stuff. here is a W.I.P screenysonicmegalo3.png

Yeah,so I have decided to use the DEV engine.

I think the new tiles look alot better than the blue-grey ones.

I might also change the grass,but right now my goal is to get the first act of the first zone done. I have been re-doing this level for thousands of times,but I am never happy with the level design.Right now I am just gonna pull myself together and get act 1 decently done,maybe release a demo,get feedback and then focus on the details. I sometimes think I am overdoing with trying to hard,right now I am focusing too much on perfection,I don't even have a concept for this level yet,I more or less know what I am aiming for,but I still need to think through.I am going to think up a proper concept,cause otherwise I will just be sitting all night long and remaking the stupid thing over and over again. <-- personal vent-ish reminder,I am really sorry if I start babbling too much,you don't really need to care.

And idk How much I am gonna make this game,right now it has only 4 zones planned. The first level is like any other green hill type level,the second is a acient ruin type thing,third one is a desert level,and the last one a space/mecha/eggman themed one. Right now this game is planned to be really simple,since I am not gonna learn complex gamemaker coding right now. Though,I might switch to sonic worlds if I can get MMF2 to work on my PC.

@ SaitoSan Thanks! yeah,it is such a drag. I actually would use MMF2 if I could get it to work on my PC. and I still need to learn how to use MMF2.

@ Hybrid35 I actually know,many people have told me that GM is actually a good program. but I guess it doesn't help right now.....since I am uncapable to learn GML right now.

so people got any suggestions where I should start learning GML?or how is the easiest way to learn it?

• 3 weeks later...

Ok,then I finished act 1 of Palmtree Valley. (pending name)

Since I was too lazy to make a video,I just made a demo.

download: http://www.mediafire.com/?6odhdeb1hg1eadn

and now just for comparing,here is the old version of Sonic Megalo: http://www.mediafire.com/?g6v266hh9joj2ia (I wouldn't really recommend it,because it is REALLY broken,but if you want to see my improvment,the you can try it.)

I will work on act 2 now,and then I'll fix up act 1 a bit.

things to fix in act 1:

-some tiles

-make the level a little longer/better level design

-try to fix bugs

Oh and here what is what I've done so far:

-added parallax

-edited sonics accerlation a bit,so he wont move so stiff.

If you are going to criticise this,then please keep in mind,that I'm working all alone and this is my first project.

and here is a second logo I made!

post-4915-138639765277_thumb.png

• 2 months later...

Sorry for hiatus again.

As sad as it is,I think I'm going to keep Sonic Megalo a minigame with only 4 acts in total (each one is different though).Its my lack of experience. After I finish this little project I am going to start to work on a long time project, I started a year ago already,but never seriously did anything. Its is a genesis styled game,I am seriously better with those. I will use the Dash or worlds engine for it. I got MMF2 to work,but I have no experience with it at all.

So now to Sonic Megalo.

Here is a screeny of the new act screeny1.png

Now I'm going to get thousands of comments saying this act makes no sense whatsoever. The level graphics arent 100% final yet,but I think I will continue with those graphics,since advance games REALLY haven't much tiles to use. And I suck at making advance tiles.

And I have a little issue I just can't seem to figure out.

Sonic keeps running behind level decor like this issueeee.png

Even though the level decor is drawn on depth layer -95 and sonic on layer -10000

Any solution? I am using the DEV engine.

I know this question should be in the help forum,but it is really small,and I don't want to waste board space.

You guys really need a "Small questions that aren't worth making an entire new topic" theard.