A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic CB

Ironrind

Sonic CB should have a new build ready sometime this month. There are three zones that are being worked on. If I could get feedback/advise as I finish up these zones, that would be great! The enemies are being reprogrammed and will be resprited so you might not see any, although there's one boss battle at the very bottom.

Zone 1(Untitled):

garden.png

garden2.png

CB's first zone is being retiled and redesigned to expand the zaxis. This zone will involve lots of cliffs, arial elements, high jumps and cloud running.

Garland Grove Zone:

grove.png

grove2.png

This is a sort of Mystic Caves/Aquatic Ruins mix which will focus on death traps and puzzles locks similar to TombRaider.

Polaroptic Powerplant Zone:

plant.png

plant2.png

This zone will be a sort of bot and boss creation factory. The zone will work like a large machine and the idea will be to sabatauje or jam it up from the inside.

Gameplay Videos:

Chaotix(Pure Chaotix and Sonic are now the same project):

http://youtu.be/GMLdwmhb-Os

Polaroptic Powerplant:

http://youtu.be/lnnvmvz7yS0

Garland Grove:

http://youtu.be/Q29JECnYDN8

Boss Test:

http://youtu.be/5zvk6vnjw2M

You and your creativity always put a big smile on my face... (:

Not sure if I can make this comparision, but as Sonic Nebulous has a nightmare-ish feeling, this game has this dream-ish feeling also. You never let me down, Ironrind <3

Can't wait to play this.

@ LH^-^ Plot-wise, CB will take place within a controlled virtual reality. I'm trying to play a bit off of a Matrix, dreamlike setting.

@ Chronic Yep, lol Royksopp usually has all of the elements I'm looking for in stage music. Atmospheric, but not too digital.

@ ECLIPSc70 Thanks! I haven't completely decided on whether or not customize them. I did a few small tweaks for the spring and idle animations, but I'll experiment with them and see what works.

@TailsSena Thanks!

If you're looking for an original set of sprites, Ironrind, I have a custom Tails spriteset that's about 70% complete, which was never used because of Sonic Zero getting a revamp. Here's two slightly outdated animations from the spriteset:

strifetails.png

Anyway, I love the expansive and dreamlike feeling of each zone. ^_^ The way you've placed level tiles in the background really makes it feel like there's an entire world out there to explore.

• 5 months later...

Finally back online, today. I wanted to post a build for CB a while back, but then decided to customize player and enemy sprites. This build is still a very short play of "Crystalline Kingdom: Act 1". The tiles are just about done and two shields have been added which are fire and electric.

"Polaroptic Powerplant" and "Garland Grove" are just needing minor platform corrections so I'll save that for the next build. Sonic is done aside from his idle pose. Other players are programmed, but are locked until I can resprite them.

ssCB00.png

ssCB01.png

ssCB02.png

ssCB03.png

ssCB04.png

Download:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/c356c3e/n/Sonic_CB_v1.0.zip

Amazing! The game is very impressive technically and visually. I love all the special effects; it's very pretty. The gameplay and level design are pretty good too, although the physics seem a bit off and I got stuck once due to a glitch. But it's an amazing work nonetheless. Congrats!

Thanks, man. I'll work on the physics. He does seem really off when I compare the Gen roms. And I'm guessing the area that you got stuck in had to do with the rocks. They've been acting strange, but I'll figure something to fix it.

The part where I got stuck was near the end of the level, when you're sent rolling up a wall in a corkscrew motion. I tried to stop and go back while in the middle of it, and I got stuck at the beginning. I guess you're not supposed to backtrack at that part.

By the way, is there a flame shield in the level? I think I've only found an electric shield (and it's really pretty).

Yeah, there are three fire shields. The easiest one to find is just passed the Fire Flower badniks, go down the hill and take the low path hopping over the rocks. Head right passed the two buzz bombers and floating platforms. When you get the the area with the series of falling platforms, fall with the platform. Once on the ground, head back left and the boosters will send you up through the breakable ceiling. There's one just up top the ledge next to the red spring on the left.

This one is easy but hasn't been tiled in:

At the very beginning, head right across the bridge and the pass checkered spiral loops. As soon as you get up the wall and through the floor, there will be a lady bug to the left. Hit the spring to the left of him and hold left the entire time. You'll enter a hollow wall to the left at the starting point. You'll land right on it.

I'll try to fix that corkscrew part too. I forgot to shut it off if going backwards or slowing down.

I haven't worked out a save feature, but I forgot to reset the lives variable when restarting the game. I'm going to make another build to fix that. I think I'll up the player acceleration, along with some other quick fixes. Thanks for letting me know about that!

What's up, man? Yeah, we can do that^^ Interested in testing a boss battle build?

I'm trying to recreate the Sonic 2 final boss battle, but with the S&K sprite set. So far he's able to walk, look directly at the player and step up and down platforms. I want to improve him a bit more before I make the build, but here are some pics for now.

bigRobo.png

er01.png

er02.png

er03.png

er04.png