A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Axiom game release thread

vexer

I've really enjoyed playing through Sonic Axiom, vexer! It's such an awesome game! It really feels like a successor to the original Genesis games. I've played through the latest build of the game and collected all seven chaos emeralds with Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles. I ran into a few glitches, that I'll list for you here:

- When you clear Sandy Sinkhole Act 3, there are no numbers for the point catagories during the score tally.

- From Mineral Mine Act 1 to the rest of the game, if you attempt to transform into the super form of any character, they will take damage and lose rings as if they hit a badnik or spikes instead of transforming.

- After you clear a stage in a super form, the ring counter still decreases.

- You can still take damage while Sonic, Tails, or Knuckles are doing their transforming animation. I've gotten hit while transforming quite a few times.

Yep, that's all that I've seen! Thanks for posting the music credits, as well! I've been jamming to some of the game's soundtrack ever since you've posted it!

Hey, hey!

I joined up just to congratulate you on Sonic Axiom. It's great all around! I am truly in love with the level themes you used--they're the best I've seen for any Sonic game, let alone any fangame. The choice of music for most of the regular levels are well done.

(Speaking of, though, I don't have a shot in hell in figuring out where the music is. Some of these artists have tons of music, how the hell am I going to sort through them? Do the songs have original titles? Following Axiom got me nothing.)

One thing though: I think the bosses need polish. A lot of them feel clunky, either easily stuck in waiting game patterns or too easy period. And sorry, but the regular boss theme is horrible.

There were a couple of glitches, such as wandering right into geometry, but they were few and far in between. Do I not have the latest version though? Some people talk of being able to partially charge the super peel out, but Sonic will stop unless he's in the max speed animation for more than a quarter second.

Still, though, the level design is beautiful and HUGE. Some of those later stages took me upwards of 4-5 minutes, and I was rushing through them, too. I rather enjoyed the experience--and I need to go beat it as Knuckles.

You know what's awesome, Vexer? You've made a fangame that's so engaging, two people signed up on the forums just to tell you how much they enjoyed it. xD

Also, with regards to slowdown in the game, you could try and enable Machine-independent Speed, which is disabled by default in Sonic Worlds.

I know I'm late to the party lol, but this fangame is so awesome, Vexer you've done a really nice job with the level design, music choices, fun bosses, and that final boss is pretty cool too. I enjoyed Sonic Axiom very much, thank you Vexer for your hard work and effort on this fangame, and thanks to Blazefirelp and all the others that did those awesome music tracks (Newgrounds, Overclocked Remix ect.). Also Good job on fixing bugs too XD. Just one thing though, Super Sonic and Knuckles can't break blocks by running into them/touching them, you think you can fix that ;)?

I played more of Sonic Axiom yesterday and found a few more glitches/oddities.

- After you clear a stage as any character in the Sandy Sinkhole Zone (any act), if you jump when they are doing their stage clear animation, another one of the character will be created, and they will do the stage clear animation, as well. It was so bizarre, that I had to take snapshots of it.

54g4m9.png

bdmp9t.png

352outz.png

- When you are invincible in Sandy Sinkhole Act 1, there are no sparkles around any of the characters. One time when I was playing, I had a shield and hit an invincibility box. While I was invincible and the music was playing, the shield did not disappear and stayed on me.

- In the Sandy Sinkhole Zone, while you are Super Sonic, the item boxes display Sonic's picture instead of Super Sonic's. When you hit the box, the picture that rises from the box displays Super Sonic's picture.

- Some of the sound effects are not consistent, such as the dying and 1-up sounds. For example, I hit a 1-up box in Molten Meltdown Act 2, and the Sonic 1/2 1-up jingle played. When I collected 100 rings in the same act, the regular in-game 1-up jingle played. In an older build of the game, I died at the Glacial Galaxy Zone boss, and the original Genesis death sound played.

- I also noticed a few misspellings in the credits:

Robotnik --> Robotnick

Mayhem --> Mayham

DJPretzel --> DJPretzee

- The super music does not loop properly in Riptide Relic Act 2.

- Some enemies cannot be killed by simply running through them while in your super form.

I hope I'm not a bother. I like finding weird glitches/oddities in video games. :P

EDIT: Oh, I also noticed a glitch on the file select menu. If you select "No Save" and then immediately press down or right, the arrow will still stay under the character in the "No Save" box, even if you're not highlighting it. You can do this numerous times, and create an infinte number of arrows. Another glitch is when you choose to delete a file, and pick Sonic's slot, the confirmation box will not appear. It will only show static. However, if you press left or right, the confirmation dialogue will appear, and then quickly disappear. Also, I don't know if this is a glitch or not, but after you unselect a file by pressing up or down, the music will restart.

EDIT 2:

2yva329.png

While in Riptide Relic Act 2, I took the bottom path, and ended up in the area located in the picture. You are supposed to hit the switch, which moves the bridge and allows you to access the fans that lift you to a higher area. However, when I hit the switch, absolutely nothing happened. I tried it with Sonic, Super Sonic, and Knuckles.

• Like 1

I'd love to get some titles on those musics, though. As mentioned before, these guys have a ton of songs and I don't have the time to listen to all of them, good as they are.

Perhaps the only issue I've got level design wise is that there isn't a lot of chance to barrel through anything, and that's if you don't care about Chaos Emeralds. I bet the same clowns who don't like Sonic CD cite this, though.

@Vexer The Riptide Relic Act 2 switch still didn't work......

Yep, I ran through the level as Tails, and the switch still didn't work in Riptide Relic Act 2. The character recreation glitch at the end of Sandy Sinkhole Act 1 and Act 2 still exists, as well. The super music in Riptide Relic Act 2 is reversed. It plays the shorter, invicibility version instead of the looped, super version. Also, there is a badnik in Mineral Mine Act 2 that was floating through mid-air. It's somewhere in the northernmost area of the stage.

Also, you may want to check the edge animations for everyone in their super forms, as well as normal forms, because I was on the ledge as Super Knuckles, and a bunch of random animations played with the balancing animation, including springing and the box pullstring thing from Machine Mayhem Zone. See this image:

2r7o84k.png

Also, check every 1-up as Super Sonic, as I came across two 1-up boxes in Neon Night Act 2 that displayed regular Sonic's picture, but shows Super Sonic's rising picture when the 1-up is broken.

When you select a character using the "No Save" option, when the character is doing their pose, you can still cycle through the characters by pressing left and right, as well as move out of the "No Save" box. vexer, a good way to demonstrate the Sonic delete confirmation glitch is to remove all of your save files from the directory, start the game, go to the Robotnik "Delete" box, select Sonic's file, and then you'll see the dialogue appear and then quickly disappear, hiding behind the static.

Also, the pillar that you can break here (already destroyed) does not recreate. I walked a little ways to the left, and it was still gone. Check every pillar to make sure that they recreate properly. Most of the ones I checked do.

1j1zlv.png

There is also a VERY minor error that I noticed... you misspelled Coastal Causeway in its title card as "Costal Causeway," lol. Check the credits, as well.

Oh, would anyone like for me to create a soundtrack for Sonic Axiom by grouping all of the songs in the game together, or list the links for every song individually? I've found the locations for a few songs in the game.

EDIT: Oh, here's another glitch I found. During the Steel Station Zone's boss, if you stay on a pole and let the poison liquid rise above you, you will not die, but the death sound will play. If you continue to head forward though, you'll die automatically, as the game recognizes that you are below the liquid. Here's a screen:

2m5y0pl.png

The switch in Riptide Relic Act 2 works, but now you start at an area close to the switch, I didn't use any checkpoints either, When I cleared Act 1 it sent me there :/

And.........

steelstation2.png

The pipe in Steel Station still won't work, that's where it leads, the pipe is in a room with 3 pipes, the first 2 pipes have a red spring at the end, and the 3rd one won't work >_>

I applaud you for constantly releasing revised versions of Sonic Axiom, vexer. This really shows that you are trying to make the game as polished as possible, while listening to the input and opinions of others.

Alright, so some of the bugs that I mentioned still haven't been fixed, such as the glitched pillar in Sandy Sinkhole Act 1 and the bizzare character recreation glitch in the Sandy Sinkhole Zone.

But, like ShadowMasterX5 stated, the glitch in Riptide Relic Act 2 has been fixed, but you start exactly near the switch, as seen in the picture. The glitch was nonexistant in the SAGE 2010 demo of the game.

70wgsi.png

Also, when I was on one of the lifts in the Mineral Mine Zone, I attempted to turn into Super Sonic, but Sonic got stuck in his super transformation animation under the lift. I guess that's one of the downsides of being able to transform anywhere while in the air. It also affected me as Tails and Knuckles.

2wbvxp2.png

Also, the Glacial Galaxy Zone Boss is absolutely a mess to fight. When you hit it, the boss slings you into the direction of it, making you always get hit and unable to recollect dropped rings. The boss also has a very long hit stun.

EDIT: There's a 1-up as soon as you begin Neon Night Act 1. I'm assuming this is there because of game testing. It wasn't there in any previous version of the game.

5n87py.png

EDIT 2 (10/27/2011): vexer, are you still releasing revised versions of Sonic Axiom? I wanted to send you a PM, but you have to have at least 10 posts. D':

Well, I found two more bugs in Sonic Axiom:

- In Steel Station Act 2, Super Knuckles does not glow, and instead has a miscolored pink palette.

- In the Steel Station Zone as Knuckles, when you glide, and then land on the ground (with Knuckles doing his animation where he slides on the ground while gliding) and attempt to move, Knuckles will not respond, but his animation will change to his walking frames. You are unable to look up or down, as well. You can start moving again by jumping.

- In Neon Night Act 2, these springs do not launch you, and instead magically put you on top of them. :S

6xrmrp.png

- Some enemies cannot be defeated by simply walking into them while super or charging up a spin dash. Enemies I've noticed include the Crawl badnik in Neon Night Zone and the robot that can freeze you on the ground in Glacial Galaxy.

EDIT 2.5: Oh, I saw you released an updated version on October 25, lol. Thanks for using Megaupload! You still start near the switch underwater in Riptide Relic Act 2! D: I also updated my bug list with more bugs that I found.

EDIT 3 (11/25/2011): A somewhat major bug I found in the latest version of the game, but for some reason, the final boss ONLY TAKES ONE HIT to defeat. I have ran through the entire game as Sonic and Knuckles and it happened both times I got to the final boss. p.s. Riptide Relic Act 2 still starts in the middle of the level.

I´ve been playing Axion lately, it´s very enjoyable despite some level design issues (I hardly found any Check Points on the stages) and bugs:

This rock made me lose some minutes getting off there:

trapj.png

It seems that there is a platform (behind the swinging platform joint) placed in the wrong layer:

layersj.png

The player can still jump:

jumpn.png

The joint can harm the player:

hurtp.png

Collision problems:

badangle2.png

badangle.png

After leaving the special stage:

afterdie2.png

Yeah, wrong place:

afterdie21.png

Same bug on the previous act:

afterdie.png

This one was strange, after loading the game I lost my Chaos Emerald and had to play the first special stage again:

huhhh.png

...and for some reason I've lost.

• 1 month later...

First of all, I am VERY sorry for bumping this thread more than a month after the last post. I know it is against the forum rules, but I have too much to say and editing my previous post doesn't do justice. Also, I don't have enough posts to PM Vexer personally.

*ahem* Now that I have that out of the way, I definitely urge all of you to play the newst version of Sonic Axiom. Just scroll upwards and you shall find a link to Rapidshare containing a download of the latest version. The game has been refined so much. Not to give too much away, but if have haven't played the game since SAGE, you are in for a treat. Vexer, thank you so much for creating this gem of a game. I love how you take everyone's advice into consideration and use it improve your game by, although silently, releasing updated versions with bugfixes.

I have played through the game once as Sonic, although I did not collect every Chaos Emerald. Here are some bugs that I encountered:

- This is a VERY, VERY BIG one: The game DOES NOT SAVE WHATSOEVER. Additionally, the game does not recognize my older save files from the previous versions of the game. I got to Molten Meltdown as Knuckles, and decided to take a break. When I started playing again, I selected the file and it said that I had zero Chaos Emeralds and last played at Coastal Causeway, the same as when you start anew. So, to test this, I just played through the first zone as Tails, got to Neon Night Zone and restarted the game by pressing F2. I selected Tails' file, and sure enough, zero Chaos Emeralds and the last stage played was Coastal Causeway. This one MUST be fixed.

- After defeating the boss in Riptide Relic Act 3 and it is exploding, if you jump into the boss (specifically the bottom), it can still harm you, causing you to lose rings or even die. Additionally, it took a very long time for it to stop exploding, and after it did, a completely different music track began playing. I don't know if you were planning on changing the music track for Riptide Relic Zone, but the original tune still plays in Acts 1 and 2, as well as before facing the boss. *edit* I realized that this was the music track before the current track for Riptide Relic Zone was placed, so the credits actually credit the wrong song. The current song for Riptide Relic Zone is NOT from the Fasto the Hedgehog 2 Soundtrack.

- After defeating the boss and breaking the generator in Molten Meltdown Act 3, Sonic, Tails, or Knuckles do not perform their level clear animation, and instead, just stand in their idle pose.

- When you collect 100 rings in Sandy Sinkhole Act 2, you do not gain an extra life and the 1-Up jingle does not play. I believe this still happens for 200, 300, etc.

- After selecting "No Save" and choosing your character, you can press "Button 1" as much as you want, and the "ding" noise will still play.

- When selecting "Delete" by pressing whichever key you assigned for Button 1 (z by default) and attempting to delete Sonic's save file, the "Yes" or "No" confirmation will remain hidden under the static. However, if you press left or right to switch between "Yes" and "No," the message will briefly appear and then disappear under the static once more. The save will still delete if you choose "Yes" and Tails and Knuckles' save games work perfectly fine. Again, this does not occur when you press Button 4 (enter by default) and only when you press Button 1.

- When selecting "New Game" by pressing Button 4 (enter by default), the arrow indicating to press right under the character will appear. After you select your character, it does not disappear. However, if you select "New Game" by pressing Button 1 (z by default), the arrow does not appear whatsoever.

- After defeating the boss and destroying the generator in Neon Night Act 3, if you jump after you destoy the generator, you can create clones of the character you currently are. They will do the level clear animation. However, unlike Sandy Sinkhole Zone Acts 1 and 2, the game actually stops you from moving after the score tally appears, preventing you from creating more clones as the score tallies.

- Although minor, there are a few mispellings in the credits (maybe you should update them for some of the new music in the game) and the flowers that come out of defeated badniks do not always land on the ground, and instead land in midair or inside of platforms.