A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Axiom game release thread

vexer

I decided to make a thread for the release of my game. feel free to leave comments and feedback.

The game can be downloaded at the Sonic Axiom sage booth below.

I hope you all enjoy.

http://sonicaxiomsagebooth.weebly.com/

I have fixed the bug with the Glacial Galaxy boss and the rings remaining after bonus levels as well as others and have posted two new links for these fixes on my sagebooth.

This game is excellent vexer. I have been playing this game for like 2 hours straight now and I managed to get to the

The 8th lava stage. 8th?? You mean you didn't just keep it at 7 as many usually like to follow? Fuck yes!! I was allready kind of bummed about being at the 7th stage and feeling like it was allready over but I am glad you didn't restrict yourself vex. You really outdone yourself in this

The level design is excellent. You have to think about where to go sometimes, which is a good thing. It's not linear in the slightest and most of the time you have to change directions. The stages themselves aren't like really hard, but the game at least forces you to actually play well to get to the end. Wish I could see this kind of design more often in official products.

The bosses are just great vexxer. They make all the life collecting worth it because they're seriously challenging, the way I like it. I died and got frustrated at a few bosses but it only made the satisfaction of defeating them better. The music for the battles is awesome btw.

The bonus stages are cool but ended up getting pretty hard around the 5th I think hehe. I ended up avoiding them because they were getting kind of anoying lol. A little question and probably also a bug I found. I sometimes would respawn from a special stage and still have many rings, hitting the checkpoint after spawning, and be able to repeat the special stage. I don't know if it was because I had a lot of rings and the special stage taking only 50 rings from me. If so then cool :P. I also respawned somewhere else instead of at the checkpoint at a view places at the third water zone. Also respawning after special stages or deaths restart the time count. I didn't pay attention when this happens or it probably does all the time. I found it awkward because it's like a free pass to get alot of score points killing yourself close to the end.

The music is fantastic. It's very ambient and kind of different from the usual sonic music. You got a good style there but i felt some energetic/happy music were missing. I love the music nonetheless and some kind of reminded me of jazz jackrabbit. I liked the upbeat drum n bass sorta track at mineral mine zone.. or something like that (sorry forgot the name).

I have a few gripes though. I don't know if there will be another revision ever, and don't know if this was overlooked or intentional, but the super peel out doesn't have to be charged for it to make you go at top speed. You can just simply tap up+jump quickly and instantly release it. Thankfully the level design doesn't support spamming it like that, but I kinda thought it was awkward seeing the animation charge up while you could allready release it from the get go.

There was also a little glitch I found at molten meltdown act 2. Close to the beginning there is a tube at the top left. Well that tube doesn't take you anywhere. There is also a glitch at the 9th stage which i forgot it's name of(I was writing this while playing so i'm adjusting my post) but after a special stage/checkpoint on a small platform between electric fields it made me respawn under the ground and got me stuck.

All in all vexxer. I am still enjoying the game right now. I love it so much. I don't remember ever feeling so satisfied playing a new sonic experience because most of the time the games either not finished or very glitchy. I thought hez's "sonic the hedgehog classic" would give me that feeling but sadly that game was a glitchy mess which really held it back.

So there's my 2 cents and I hope you can use it :D. Thanks again!

Excellent.

I completed the game with Sonic and collected all chaos emeralds.

I really liked your level designs, music and the bosses were really cool.

The final boss looked cool and looked really hard but I managed.

The only problems I noticed were that it was kind of easy to get to special stages.

Like Jwiwo said, after you complete/exit out of one the warp still remains and you can continuously jump in.

I was able to collect five emeralds using one lamp post.

Also, there is an incredibly annoying lag that appears when you use super Sonic.

After loosing your rings the lag is still present until you die or complete the act.

All in all, really fun and had this feel of a Sega CD game which made it even better.

I'm going to play through again with Tails and Knuckles tonight.

Very good, Vexer.

I enjoyed Axiom as much as I thought I would.

So i've finished the game and still going for all the emeralds.

THis is hands down the best fan game i've ever played.

I'll go so far and say that this is the best sonic game i've played since the classics(I don't dislike the 3d games, just think they lack quality in gameplay).

Replaying the levels searching for checkpoints etc made me realise how fun it was exploring the levels and get to know them more, Similar to sonic CD but I feel that sonic cd's stages are a bit more messy and I actually prefer your levels. Take that as a great compliment.

One last thing.

The collision detection isn't right for these platforms.

scaled.php?server=850&filename=sadn.png&res=medium

Be proud vexer. The whole team behind it should be ;)

Does Super Sonic have after images in this game? It must be that freaking bug i've mentioned once, in which the game attempts to destroy the after images, but fails for some reason, resulting in countless useless invisible objects all over the level!

Actually I found out Super Sonic does have an after image. I thought I got rid of it along time ago but I had only deleted it in the first level.

I have fixed some of the bugs brought to my attention and will fix this as well.

I will post a new link tonight.

Just beat the game as Tails. ^_^ Holy hyperspace, that final boss fight was intense, especially because of the music. xD

My first time fighting him, I ran into a bug where I left the right side of the screen and the camera was pulled out of its fixed position. I was a good boy and remained in the fighting area, though.

Is there any difference in the game playing through as the other two characters, besides abilities of course?

Not that I can tell. I think everyone fights

Metal Sonic

in the final zone. Although, Sonic might have some differences due to his ability to change into Super Sonic. I haven't beaten the game with all of the Chaos Emeralds as him yet, though.