A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Another Sonic Before The Sequel Trailer

LakeFeperd

I haven't posted here in over four years, but I felt like making this post after watching the trailer just to let you know that I think your fangame looks really awesome and I'm so looking forward to playing it. I didn't even know about this project until I watched the trailer just now. Awesome work.

Edit-

Is Tails going to be able to fly in this fangame? o_O

Looks good&would be much preferred if it was more similar to Sonic CD.

Since CD is between sonic 1 and 2.

SEGA itself never said a word about it actually.

So this doesn't really means that Sonic CD is between Sonic 1 and 2, right?

If you take a look here, you'll see several theories to what Sonic CD is.

But never between Sonic 1 and Sonic 2.

There's even a card with Tails on it, saying "See you next game!"

Doesn't proof too many things, since that's a hidden screen.

But that's not the point of the discussion, right? Changing a whole game to look like Sonic CD is...

EDIT: There's also a musculous Sonic, a DJ Sonic and a mask-faced Sonic screens. They didn't appear in any other game.

EDIT2: Sonic CD was launched in 1993, Sonic 2 was launched in 1992.

well, i think Sonic CD can fit anywhere in the timeline except between sonic 2 and 3.

And i really didn't care much about Sonic CD when making this fan game.

I know you guys simply LOVE it but i made it to be more like Sonic3&K.

@W.A.C.

yup, he will be able to fly

well, there's a bad thing about my fan game: you cant play as tails in sonic's levels and as sonic in tails's levels... i hope thats not a big deal... :icon_rolleyes:

There is another bad thing: the ring loss glitch is still there =/

i didnt find a way to fix it and changing the whole engie now is going to be painful.

I actually made all the levels possible to be played as both caracters as you can see here

r8ur2.png

but... well, that's not going to happen

@Strife

i was a big noob in MMF2 when i started making this fan game and only now i know how to make something like a character select screen

its possible to play as sonic in tails's levels by changing the value but sonic will look exactly like he is on the base engie(Sonic worlds 0.5) and changing that in every frame, more than 40 frames, would take a time and i want to finish this fan game in this year so...

and there is also tails in sonic's level, for that i would have to change some of the level design, not to make it like Sonic3&K but to avoid glitches(or something like that)

cheat codes would be nice because(i think) they are part of the game but they dont need to be solid as a feature.

but as i said up there:"changing the whole engie now is going to be painful."

Look. I'm going to be brutally honest.

This game looks fantastic. And there's a VERY good chance it will be completed, unlike most of the stuff that comes out of here.

Do yourself a favor. Get someone to recolor and shade those boss robots. The idea behind them all look baddass and original and I'd hate to see the single color shading ruin such an amazing product. Same goes for the cutscenes. Don't reuse the Sonic CD stuff.

I'm being as brutal as I can. It's tough finding things to nitpick here because the game looks so fucking sweet. But you might as well go the extra mile and improve the little things just to finish "wowing" people.

Other than that, great job.

@Epon

i dont know why i shouldnt use sonic CD stuff, there is a lot more cutscenes in this game and, i think, i used them well.

if i had to draw sonic myself(i can but im not good with the mouse) it would contrast A LOT with the original gameplay if you are using the 640x480 resolution

about the bosses, i already discussed about them and as i said before: i dont know how to make them better

and also, im trying to finish the whole game before i start polishing stuff.

Alright lemme just clear up something so you understand where I'm coming from. I rarely even visit this forum anymore. When I do actually post, it's either something asinine to make the few people I recognize still laugh, it's a suggestion about a major change in the community, or its a comment on a game I actually think is fucking sweet.

You obviously fall into the latter category here. I've seen a LOT of games start up and never get finished. The reasoning is precisely what you just suggested; spending too much time on the glam and not enough on the game. But from the video I saw, it actually looks pretty complete at this stage.

I'm not knocking the Sonic CD art as I'm sure it fits fine. I was just suggesting that you find someone to possibly do it for you, as it's a pretty tight project as-is.

Meh, take it or leave it. I started writing this response two hours ago and drifted off into a few dozen tabs of other stuff. Lost my original train of thought.

You obviously fall into the latter category here. I've seen a LOT of games start up and never get finished. The reasoning is precisely what you just suggested; spending too much time on the glam and not enough on the game. But from the video I saw, it actually looks pretty complete at this stage.

I'm not knocking the Sonic CD art as I'm sure it fits fine. I was just suggesting that you find someone to possibly do it for you, as it's a pretty tight project as-is.

Meh, take it or leave it. I started writing this response two hours ago and drifted off into a few dozen tabs of other stuff. Lost my original train of thought.

I've been trying to spread this mindset for the god damn longest, Epon. Nobody listens to me though -- they just keep going on and on about "BUT IT'S NOT PROFESSIONAL ENOUGH" or "HES GOING TO GROW UP MAKING BAD GAMES" or some other dumb shit. Graphics are important, but god damn i wish people would grow up about some things. How are you ever going to complete a fangame when everytime you post something, it's a re-tweak of a pallete or recoloring of a sprite? People here have been trying to develop out of their means for the longest now.

....anyway. I agree with what he said. Try to ask if someone else could assist you with whatever recolors or whatever. Or, like you said, just finish the game and then worry about the other stuff later.

I support for detailing the bosses with better shades etc. The cutscenes are fine though.

@Lake, I can understand you got your priorities on finishing the game first, I hope that doesn't stop you to ever perfectionize the product dude. As epon said, this is really an amazing game. I've been playing the demo again last time and I really enjoy going through it. Some fangames just bore the hell out of me because of how they don't require any thought and skill when playing the game. Your game is very well balanced in the way that you do have to be cautious while playing. The level design is just really good. The presentation with the style you've used is really a nice touch too.

And you know, some may probably disagree with me on the next point, and I don't even think it was an intentional one Lake, but I love the fact that the spindash is kind of slow in your game. I have always considered the spindash an overpowered move when it was introduced from sonic 2. In your game it feels more like something you use as a slight boost towards a downward hill or to hit a badnik not too far away from you. Not to be spammed. It only makes the... speeddash (uhh don't knwo how I should call it but i'm talking about the up+jump move) have way more incentive. Well executed if it was intentional

It took me a while before I concluded that as well. But compare the way you play sonic 1 and sonic 2 and how depth is lost when the spindash comes into play. The whole concept of earning speed as a reward from skilfull play gets replaced by spamming the spindash whenever it's possible. Instead of having to accelerate yourself again, you spindash and jump, which everyone of you probably do as well.

I am not saying the spindash is bad, I just think the way lake executed it is more balanced imo. I may have never had a big problem with it myself, but the subtle change, does change the choice of wether to use the spindash or not instead of it being the right thing most of the time.

I don't know whom of you visit sonicretro, but you gotta try out this hack.

http://mrjester.hapisan.com/01_Public/PanaDerHejhog.bin

I was suprised that there was No spindash, and you know what? I think it made the experience better. I guess in this case(at least for me) less is better. The way lake has his spindash is fine though.

Sorry for going offtopic ^^.... well it is sorta ontopic I guess.

This looks sweet.

As already stated the bosses could do with shading to make them blend with the rest of the game, But they do look great and original.

I really like the way you've cut gameplay sprite scenes with flash animations, the way you've done it seems very effective and adds to the originality and overall style of your game.

Overall, the game looks very good with an original style. Will be looking forward to a final product.