A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

D#8

OverbounD

Your booth will be displayed in an iframe 390 high by 625 wide. We encourage you to include a splash page to fit within this space with a link to open your main page in a new window.

I'm not following. I need a splash page as a preloader to another page with the game on it? Is the main SAGE site going to have a booths page displaying a tiny box with my booth in it (that requires both a banner for the staff and a splash page, presumably also on my site)? Why can't I just have a page on my site that says "here's the game, here's some screenshots and a YouTube playthrough, here's the download link"?

I'm not following. I need a splash page as a preloader to another page with the game on it? Is the main SAGE site going to have a booths page displaying a tiny box with my booth in it (that requires both a banner for the staff and a splash page, presumably also on my site)? Why can't I just have a page on my site that says "here's the game, here's some screenshots and a YouTube playthrough, here's the download link"?

I agree. 390x625 makes no justice to a decent Booth.

Your booths will be displayed within an iframe on the site so one never has to leave the SAGE page to see booths. If your site is bigger than that then there will be horizontal scroll bars and vertical scrollbars which will have to be used to navigate your booth.

Personally I'm going to take a rain check on SAGE this year. Call me petty if you want.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with the concept of the iframe on the booths page, mostly, but any system that relies on vertical AND horizontal scrollbars...? I mean, horizontal scrollbars alone are a huge pet peeve of mine. It's the shittiest thing to view a website where you have to keep scrolling left and right to read something, let alone a vertical bar on top of that. And 625*390 viewing resolution? I suppose it's not the other way round at least (that would be seriously unacceptable) but how do you factor in screenshots or YouTube videos too big for the iframe or some quirk of formatting leaves you with two screenshots being cropped by the borders? And... well, what's wrong with 'click link, browser opens link in new tab' anyway? I dunno, I'm a casual when it comes to website formatting so other people will have their counter points or suggestions on this.

But, seriously, I'm with Steven M.

I made Collab's booth on Webs, and I don't feel like I'm going to make a website that is so little, specially because I don't know how to, and I have other things to worry about right now. There should be options like "Open in iFrame" or "Open in new Window/Guide".

390x625 is the size of a little photo.

But yes, that's the thing.

We encourage you to include a splash page to fit within this space with a link to open your main page in a new window.

So don't worry about scrunching up the site in a tiny iframe. The most practical solution is to follow the above and have an image redirect.

...how the hell am I going to make a splash page if I don't even have a place to host it?

I've already made the Booth on Webs, as I said. I don't feel lik I'm going to look for another website just to make a dumb photo-sized page that would redirect to another one. And I don't feel like I'm going to pay for any kind of domain.

That's so not fair. Should've been the option to open it out of the iframe.

...how the hell am I going to make a splash page if I don't even have a place to host it?

I've already made the Booth on Webs, as I said. I don't feel lik I'm going to look for another website just to make a dumb photo-sized page that would redirect to another one. And I don't feel like I'm going to pay for any kind of domain.

That's so not fair. Should've been the option to open it out of the iframe.

What on earth are you talking about. This isn't complicated at all guys. Its not harder than any other year at SAGE

And can't think of a single free host besides webs? Chances are you already have a freaking account with google.

I didn't look for one, but it redirects to the same problem I told above: I'd be creating a website to be discarded after SAGE, specially because we don't know how SAGE 2012 will look like.

But it's not a mortal problem though. You have any idea on one?

So let me try and understand this process. The person browsing the Booths page on the SAGE site clicks on the banner for a game. Clicking on that banner sets up the iframe window on the page (1) so that the window either redirects to the optimised booth (2a), or redirects to a splash page (2ba) which in turn opens up a new window to that booth (2bb).

While we're throwing the term 'stupid simple' around, why can't it just be 'click banner, receive new tab' (which allows for users to browse multiple booths without the clutter of multiple windows)? Or, to put it another way (and to deflect impending strawman arguments around changes in site presentation), what do you have planned with this method (in terms of presentation, programming, extras, etc) that justifies the redundancy?

The Sage website is fine Smidge and USC made a decent site. So I'm not going to debate about it or provide unneeded details about a website you haven't even seen it. The website is always kept secret until SAGE opens like always. Not that your idea is a bad one Steven its just neither the time or place to discuss it. So you'll just have to trust that the people creating SAGE made a decent site like you have to every year.

As for your websites you guys have 3 options.

1. Make a splash page. A simple image click it and your website will load.

2. Make your website fit within the iframe. Which isn't hard with many website builders or a little HTML code will do too.

3. Scroll bars.