A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

[SDASH+] Shadows Fall

Dark Raven X

logosmallc.png

Thought I'd make a thread for my fangame too. :3

This is my first project, it's being built in GameMaker8, on the new SDASH+ engine. I'm using the newest build, and will be adding more elements to the engine as they get developed by the evil geniuses working on it.

I'm making a thread now so I have a little bit of pressure on myself to work on it; I work best with a deadline, and having people look over what I'm doing and give me criticism and feedback on it will help with getting more done. :D

So!

---

100 years after the destruction of the Eggman Empire.

The immortal Shadow, no longer plagued by guilt and bad memories, is living a peaceful life, and has even managed to make a few friends. On the anniversary of Eggman's defeat, his factories spring back to life, the airfleet once again blocks out the skies, and the machine army finds a new leader.

---

Set over 6 Zones of 3 Acts, Shadows Fall will tell a story, in the same vein as Sonic Rush and Chronicles, and power up Shadow with various upgrades along the way. Shadow is the only playable character planned right now, but he will be able to interact with several new characters, as well as a couple familiar ones...

---

Levels:

DUSK HILL:

Act 1, Midnight Run - 25% Complete

duskhill1.png

duskhill2.png

Act 2, ????????? - 0% Complete

LAPIN STORE:

A place to upgrade Shadow - 5% Complete.

storemockup.png

Yeah, this one's a mockup. :P

MORE LEVELS HERE WHEN THEY'RE DONE! :D

---

Haa, now there's a thread for it, I feel compelled to work harder and show stuff off. :D

First self deadline: BGM for Dusk Hill Act 1 by tomorrow! ^__^

20 Buzzbomber rotors and 500 Rings?!!! THAT'S OUTRAGEOUS!

You think that's outrageous?

Super Shadow Upgrade:

7 Chaos Emeralds and 1000000 Rings. >:D

Hehehe.

Hmm, I don't really feel like Homming Attack should be unlockable. Or it is in the game, or it isn't.

Your logo is also barely visible... you should make, dunno, an outline of red light? That'd be cool.

Homing Attack is the very first upgrade - the idea is that your first time through, you follow a 'low' path, and it still plays very much like Sonic. Then next time you can take alternate routes, gradually getting more unique stuff like Chaos Spear and Blast and so on. :3

And hey! I have BGM for Dusk Hill Act 1 already! :D

Cause you're all so nice and supportive, figure I'll share WIP for once! Man, I never do this. And you'll see why. XD

Here are prototypes (IE, guitar only, not tuned, not in time.) for a new character's theme music:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23237150/Shadow%20Lapin%20Prototype.mp3

And Dusk Hill Act 1:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23237150/Shadow%20Dusk%20Hill%20Prototype.mp3

Yeah. These are first drafts. Like, serious first recordings. But even rough as all hell, you can get a feel for the sort of soundtrack I'm going for. :3

D'aww. <3

Think I'll spend tomorrow working on the Dusk Hill BGM properly. With drums, a square synth lead, maybe some piano arpeggios, it should sound pretty cool. :D

Bonus points (and more WIP terribad recordings!) for anyone who can guess what my new character who's getting that acoustic guitar theme is!

LAPIN STORE:

A place to upgrade Shadow - 5% Complete.

[qimg]http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/1672/storemockup.png[/qimg]

Yeah, this one's a mockup. :P

\

....i actually very much approve of this. I think it's a nice idea for a sonic game.

Unless your stage is chocked full of rings though....i can assure you, nobody on earth will play this game enough to acquire 1 million rings. Even the longest stages in the modern games only had like a max of 800 rings in them total, if even that.

Even if you got 10,000 rings per level, it'd take you 1000 playthroughs to finish. Hope you have some nice ring gathering methods!

Hahaha, don't worry Seraph, I was joking about that. :P

I think it'd be a dick move to make people pay for Super Shadow on top of collecting the emeralds.

Incidentally, I don't think I'll be including Special stages. I can't think of a special stage type that'd really fit with the style I'm going for - SO... I'll probably hide emeralds actually in the stages, like that old Game Gear Sonic.

I think hiding the emeralds in the stages is a good idea! It worked well in Sonic 1 for the Master System/Game Gear..

It fits Shadow a lot more aswell.. I mean going through magical special stages isn't really how Shadow rolls xD

Searching the corners of the earth for them is definitely how He rolls :ssmile:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23237150/Shadow%20Lapinl%20Prototype%202.mp3

Progress on that new character's theme music. Not as light and breezy. :P

Hopefully I can get the drums sounding sort of...heavy and electronic. And then mix in some acoustic guitars, maybe a little piano, and I'll have me a theme!

I have a sorta weird request; anyone up for getting on MSN and having a writing session with me? I have broad stroke ideas for the plot, but I wanna get things refined now, early on, so I don't have to think about it later. My MSN is darkravenx(at)gmail.com :3

• 2 weeks later...