A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Metal Sonic Overdrive Version 2.0 Released [FULL/FINAL VERSION]]

DarkonMK

Dude I feel for you I really do. I felt the same way when I scrapped 7 levels of Time Twisted in 2008. But you need to look at it like this, your hack isn't too bad and you probably learned a lot doing it. Now is the time to think about what we've said and what you've learned and make a second even better hack. Just know that you are not alone and we've all been in that place where it seems like you only hear what's wrong about your game. That's why I've been working on the same game since 2005. That doesn't even include what I scrapped before that.

Okay.....

so your saying This Hack Sucks Cause I'm Not Good At It? not trying to start a riot here :V

plus I already put my 1 full year effort to it so you can't just say "Less Effort"

if everything is changed.

Hey, that's not what I said at all. I like it for what it is. I just don't like it as a game. But as a hack it's pretty damn awesome. And I beat the hack without using save states and shit without having to play through multiple times, so I don't think it's fair to say I suck, just that I don't feel the challenges that were brought on me were fair or fun challenges. I play hacks for the technical work put into them rather than for the fun of them, because I'll be blunt with you... I just don't think I've ever found to many hacks that I'd really call fun. One of the builds of Megamix probably struck me as the best, but even then I didn't feel like it was nearly as great as a game as it was being a hack.

And I'll thank people not to put words in my mouth. I don't think there was any lack of effort put into any part of this hack aside from the fact that the content towards the end (well, the middle actually) dies out a little. That's partly due to the fact that the early part of the hack does stuff that most other hacks don't like making unique bosses, but that shouldn't count against it. There is a definite sense of fatigue as the project went on though because each new level brings less to the table that the original didn't already have.

I will say this though Darkon, you shouldn't rely on your own judgement for deciding whether or not your game is too cheap. As its originator, you have more familiarity with it than anyone else, and a certain level of clairvoyance when navigating the levels. That's just how it is when you've put tons of work and play testing into a project. Surely you have to question design choices like putting a player in a room surrounded with spikes in a way that makes it look like some kind of trap and letting them walk around and get themselves killed while the real answer is just to sit in the damn room for 15 seconds until the level just randomly ends for no reason.

Stick with it though. The first thing everyone makes always has issues with it that need to be overcome. Don't lose heart over that.

Dude I feel for you I really do. I felt the same way when I scrapped 7 levels of Time Twisted in 2008. But you need to look at it like this, your hack isn't too bad and you probably learned a lot doing it. Now is the time to think about what we've said and what you've learned and make a second even better hack. Just know that you are not alone and we've all been in that place where it seems like you only hear what's wrong about your game. That's why I've been working on the same game since 2005. That doesn't even include what I scrapped before that.

I understand, thanks alot anyway. but I still got a long way to go due to something I wanted missing. like coding extra Zones and later get raped by so many codes needed to be add plus bugs. but i'ma keep trying.

Hey, that's not what I said at all. I like it for what it is. I just don't like it as a game. But as a hack it's pretty damn awesome. And I beat the hack without using save states and shit without having to play through multiple times, so I don't think it's fair to say I suck, just that I don't feel the challenges that were brought on me were fair or fun challenges. I play hacks for the technical work put into them rather than for the fun of them, because I'll be blunt with you... I just don't think I've ever found to many hacks that I'd really call fun. One of the builds of Megamix probably struck me as the best, but even then I didn't feel like it was nearly as great as a game as it was being a hack.

And I'll thank people not to put words in my mouth. I don't think there was any lack of effort put into any part of this hack aside from the fact that the content towards the end (well, the middle actually) dies out a little. That's partly due to the fact that the early part of the hack does stuff that most other hacks don't like making unique bosses, but that shouldn't count against it. There is a definite sense of fatigue as the project went on though because each new level brings less to the table that the original didn't already have.

I will say this though Darkon, you shouldn't rely on your own judgement for deciding whether or not your game is too cheap. As its originator, you have more familiarity with it than anyone else, and a certain level of clairvoyance when navigating the levels. That's just how it is when you've put tons of work and play testing into a project. Surely you have to question design choices like putting a player in a room surrounded with spikes in a way that makes it look like some kind of trap and letting them walk around and get themselves killed while the real answer is just to sit in the damn room for 15 seconds until the level just randomly ends for no reason.

Stick with it though. The first thing everyone makes always has issues with it that need to be overcome. Don't lose heart over that.

I got it now, I think, My bad for my last comment and Thanks, i'll remember that. I don't know what else to say now but thanks.