A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Metal Sonic Overdrive Version 2.0 Released [FULL/FINAL VERSION]]

DarkonMK

MetalSonicOverdrive.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5azSqOWxxY

Download Rom here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?j07ig25w6l5vox4

Mirror:

http://www.4shared.com/file/cQaJqATz/Metal_Sonic_Overdrive_Ver20FIN.html

Final Update of my project, now includes a bunch of

Updated/New Levels, New Darkon, Kirby's flying move added, bug fixes, New

Menu, and More. not to mention it will work on Real Hardware. ;D

After working on my Sonic 1 Hack for nearly a year, here it is. features 5

playable Characters

(Metal Sonic,Darkon,Kirby,Somari,and Sonic),

Super Mode(only Metal Sonic), Completely New Levels, and many more that theres too much to list XD. well Enjoy.

CREDITS:

Hcktrox: Menu, Fixed Homing Attack, and other New Music

Tweaker: New Sound Driver

Nineko: Music release in Sonic Retro

GenesisFan64: Door into Summer Music and other Chaotix music

Markeythejester: Sonic Crackers Music

Quricodido: S3K Music Ports, Original Homing Attack, and other music

Esrael: S2 Level Select

Yuski & CS: Metal Sonic Sprites

Selbi: Sexy Peel-out

Mercury: Wall Jump Source Code (That I edited xD)

MarioGuru64: Somari Sprites

I have very different standards for rom hacks and games...

As a rom hack, this is pretty awesome. It changes lots of stuff in interesting ways and really hits a lot of different technical areas.

As a game, oh my gosh what a piece of shit. The level design is just bland, the difficulty is cheap often spurned by inconsistencies like gimmick timing of Marble Zone gimmicks and a horrendous amount of pits of doom and annoying excessive timing or you are dead type level design, and the graphics in places make me want to tear out my eyeballs. Also, whenever the game isn't being cheap as hell and is instead taking the 'less precision, more eyecandy' approach, it turns into a big annoying string of loops and springs.

But I don't gauge rom hacks the same way I do games, so it's all good. This is pretty cool.

EDIT: Ok, played the whole thing as Kirby now, and what I said basically applies, only it gets cheaper and less effort is put into it as it goes on.

As a rom hack, this is pretty awesome. It changes lots of stuff in interesting ways and really hits a lot of different technical areas.

As a game, oh my gosh what a piece of shit. The level design is just bland, the difficulty is cheap often spurned by inconsistencies like gimmick timing of Marble Zone gimmicks and a horrendous amount of pits of doom and annoying excessive timing or you are dead type level design, and the graphics in places make me want to tear out my eyeballs. Also, whenever the game isn't being cheap as hell and is instead taking the 'less precision, more eyecandy' approach, it turns into a big annoying string of loops and springs.

But I don't gauge rom hacks the same way I do games, so it's all good. This is pretty cool.

EDIT: Ok, played the whole thing as Kirby now, and what I said basically applies, only it gets cheaper and less effort is put into it as it goes on.

Okay.....

so your saying This Hack Sucks Cause I'm Not Good At It? not trying to start a riot here :V

plus I already put my 1 full year effort to it so you can't just say "Less Effort"

if everything is changed.

Okay.....

so your saying This Hack Sucks Cause I'm Not Good At It? not trying to start a riot here :V

plus I already put my 1 full year effort to it so you can't just say "Less Effort"

Since you've been testplaying the hack yourself for so long, you'd obviously be more accustomed to it and have a different perspective on the game from someone who's playing it for the first time. So what might seem simple to you by now might be an illogical deathtrap to someone else.

As a game, oh my gosh what a piece of shit.

HAHAAAH, god DAMN DW.....

Okay.....

Considering most of us have been working on our games for years and years one year isn't exactly a long time around here.

Besides DW didn't say "This Hack Sucks Cause I'm Not Good At It" he gave you specific reasons. Me and DW tend to think a lot alike on game design so I can expand on what he was saying so you understand better.

Your game is a hack and needed to be judged as such to enjoy it I think. Around here a lot of us don't play many hack because most of them lack polish as yours does. Things like the fact that Metal Sonic has to fall to the ground at the start of each level or that Metal Sonic's spin dash lifts him a few pixels off the ground while charging his spin. That stuff just doesn't fly around here.

That's not even to speak of the level design which pretty bad. The levels themselves are kind of bland and don't seem to have any sort of logic to them. Tiles that look like walls end up being just background tiles and so you end up falling or dead. The level's have no flow and its impossible to tell which way to go next with the dead ends everywhere. I'm guessing you didn't draw these levels out on paper or plan them in advance. You probably just started laying down tiles in whatever level editor you used.

The cheap kills are everywhere I constantly died because I couldn't see what was in front of me in time or I needed to jump and you placed spikes right where you are supposed to be jumping to. There's good reason why Sonic games don't have spikes EVERYWHERE like this hack does. Challenge is one thing but I do not think you have a good understanding of how to make your levels challenging without putting hazards everywhere they could possibly fit.

Please don't be mad. We are not trying to be mean. Honest feedback is the best kind you can get even if its not what you want to hear.

Considering most of us have been working on our games for years and years one year isn't exactly a long time around here.

Besides DW didn't say "This Hack Sucks Cause I'm Not Good At It" he gave you specific reasons. Me and DW tend to think a lot alike on game design so I can expand on what he was saying so you understand better.

Your game is a hack and needed to be judged as such to enjoy it I think. Around here a lot of us don't play many hack because most of them lack polish as yours does. Things like the fact that Metal Sonic has to fall to the ground at the start of each level or that Metal Sonic's spin dash lifts him a few pixels off the ground while charging his spin. That stuff just doesn't fly around here.

That's not even to speak of the level design which pretty bad. The levels themselves are kind of bland and don't seem to have any sort of logic to them. Tiles that look like walls end up being just background tiles and so you end up falling or dead. The level's have no flow and its impossible to tell which way to go next with the dead ends everywhere. I'm guessing you didn't draw these levels out on paper or plan them in advance. You probably just started laying down tiles in whatever level editor you used.

The cheap kills are everywhere I constantly died because I couldn't see what was in front of me in time or I needed to jump and you placed spikes right where you are supposed to be jumping to. There's good reason why Sonic games don't have spikes EVERYWHERE like this hack does. Challenge is one thing but I do not think you have a good understanding of how to make your levels challenging without putting hazards everywhere they could possibly fit.

Please don't be mad. We are not trying to be mean. Honest feedback is the best kind you can get even if its not what you want to hear.

I Think I got it now, I did edited ALL the levels myself including the art.

(with no help whatsoever), so I don't know which level started a shiton of spikes. also I don't remember adding that much deathtraps. well maybe some but I always test every level millions of times.

the thing I only lack is loops. and already tried my best to lower the difficulty.

EDIT: Tested again, theres very few deathtraps.

Oh god. My loathing of Metal Sonic Aside, this game doesn't look too great. I understand ROM hacking has it's limits, but if you can put in a homing attack, you can do better than this. It looks awful, very few tiles match with the characters, or much else for that matter... Let's see. I can identify Sonic CD, custom stuff, and Sonic Advance... Not the pretties thing I've seen in under a minute. Trust me, I used to sprite mix a LOT (ask BlazefireLP), and even I can say this looks bad. I'll give you that it has potential, but that's about it. Spend some more time on it, and it'll be worth playing.

If I where to give you a tip, I'd say brighten the pallet a bit. Just because it's Metal Sonic doesn't mean it has to be all doom and gloom, especially if Kirby is playable. And, try to only take tilesets and sprites from Sonic CD, if that's where your getting Metal Sonic from, and if you edit them, make them match the rest of the game.

--Rant over~

EDIT: The level design on Act 3 is really boring too, try following act 2 a bit more. That one was interesting.

Alright, I played through this, and I've got to say that it's definitely not "full". It's one of the most unpolished things I've ever seen. It's almost impossible to play through because of all of the glitches, bugs, and general nonsense. There were many instances where I'd stand on an invisible block, or just fall through the ground. Sometimes I'd go into a certain gimmick and it just wouldn't work, leaving me screwed. It was also pretty random if the wall jump or homing attack would actually WORK, leaving me in a shitty situation most of the time.

The graphics and sounds are horrendous. It's not an accomplishment to have made them all by yourself (with no help whatsoever!) if they're that bad. The clashing colors and random bright and dark pixels all over the place (especially in the background of the first stage) just gave me a headache. All of the chaotix music didn't work out too well, either. The screeching and beeping noises in the music drove me insane enough to mute it while I played.

And it's not really just the clashing colors that make the graphics bad. They're just bad. Some of the art looks like it was drawn/edited by a little kid. (Like Metal Sonic's sign post at the end of the level, and the title screen. They're just... there's no way to describe them without feeling like an asshole.) Even the pallettes were horrible, with some graphics having certain colors that just didn't make sense for that object. Okay, not some, a LOT of the sprites are like that, with random mismatching colors.

Like DW said, it looks like less and less effort was put into the game as you go on. It's pretty obvious that after a while you just started phoning it in and slapping it together just so that you could brag about how you have a finished product and nobody else does. A lot of things like this are just unprofessional, like spawning in the air and falling down to the start of the level. That just looks shitty, and it's not even hard to fix. A lot of tiles overlap eachother (such as numbers on the title cards and act complete screens), another easy fix that was just ignored.

This needs a lot, lot, LOT of work. I tried to explain everything without being a dick, but it's hard sometimes when it's just so blatantly obvious. You should have noticed these things yourself.

• Like 1

Alright, I played through this, and I've got to say that it's definitely not "full". It's one of the most unpolished things I've ever seen. It's almost impossible to play through because of all of the glitches, bugs, and general nonsense. There were many instances where I'd stand on an invisible block, or just fall through the ground. Sometimes I'd go into a certain gimmick and it just wouldn't work, leaving me screwed. It was also pretty random if the wall jump or homing attack would actually WORK, leaving me in a shitty situation most of the time.

The graphics and sounds are horrendous. It's not an accomplishment to have made them all by yourself (with no help whatsoever!) if they're that bad. The clashing colors and random bright and dark pixels all over the place (especially in the background of the first stage) just gave me a headache. All of the chaotix music didn't work out too well, either. The screeching and beeping noises in the music drove me insane enough to mute it while I played.

And it's not really just the clashing colors that make the graphics bad. They're just bad. Some of the art looks like it was drawn/edited by a little kid. (Like Metal Sonic's sign post at the end of the level, and the title screen. They're just... there's no way to describe them without feeling like an asshole.) Even the pallettes were horrible, with some graphics having certain colors that just didn't make sense for that object. Okay, not some, a LOT of the sprites are like that, with random mismatching colors.

Like DW said, it looks like less and less effort was put into the game as you go on. It's pretty obvious that after a while you just started phoning it in and slapping it together just so that you could brag about how you have a finished product and nobody else does. A lot of things like this are just unprofessional, like spawning in the air and falling down to the start of the level. That just looks shitty, and it's not even hard to fix. A lot of tiles overlap eachother (such as numbers on the title cards and act complete screens), another easy fix that was just ignored.

This needs a lot, lot, LOT of work. I tried to explain everything without being a dick, but it's hard sometimes when it's just so blatantly obvious. You should have noticed these things yourself.

Look, I don't get what is your fucking problem but, theres a limit to how many tiles to fit in for each level (plus the PLC), and also I can't fix that (falling from the sky) start area because in order to do that, I have to do it in fucking Hex, just like the text. you call that "Simple"?

i'm not mad or anything but I'm just sick and tired of constant updates cause of retarded complains, the only thing I can accept is the Layouts. but for the art? give me a break.

Look, I don't get what is your fucking problem but, theres a limit to how many tiles to fit in for each level (plus the PLC), and also I can't fix that (falling from the sky) start area because in order to do that, I have to do it in fucking Hex, just like the text. you call that "Simple"?

i'm not mad or anything but I'm just sick and tired of constant updates cause of retarded complains, the only thing I can accept is the Layouts. but for the art? give me a break.

Lay off a bit. We're trying to help. I had a similar problem, and now it's fixed. You shouldn't take it so poorly.

EDIT: Perhaps this will be useful. http://www.dolcevie.com/js/converter.html

Lay off a bit. We're trying to help. I had a similar problem, and now it's fixed. You shouldn't take it so poorly.

then what are you trying to help?

the layout? the tiles? or the whole thing?

if someone is a Pro at Level editing and at nemesis art (Level Tiles).

The whole thing. I'm sure there are some ROM hackers here who can help you a great deal. My work is in MMF2, so I'm of no use to you, but I can certainly be a judge.

Okay, cool. but I don't know anyone in here whos better at Sonic hacking. (only knew a few but their too busy)