A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

TailsSena Physics Help

You're using platform movement? Oh my f'ing god....You should use a static engine for this stuff.

What is your game style anyways tails? Is it Battle' date=' Adventurous or what?[/quote']

Static engine...? :ahuh:

It's sort of an adventure racing game... You can go/do whatever, as long as the others stick with you (camera), but the goal is pretty much to finish before anyone else. I'll eventually add co-op boss fights against random Cave Story Bosses like The Core, Balrog, and Misery. During which you'll have help from Cream/Cheese, Shadow, or Rouge. :tgrin::aparty:

EDIT: And why do I get the strange vibe that it's somehow a crime to make a High-resolution Sonic Fangame?

• Like 1

Static engine...? :ahuh:

A custom-created platforming engine where the player sprite uses Static Movement. The actual moving around is done by manipulating X and Y values - "if [player] isn't overlapping with a backdrop AND

is being pressed, THEN set [player] X value to [player] X+1", etc. There are some good tutorials for static engines on the main site.

Mostly because it is absolutely unnecessary and most people hate having a tiny speck of sonic on their monitor. Most people who have experience naturally learn that sizer proportion is a good role to play in the game and it's presentation. If it's a racing game, I'd recommend a 360 engine from the main site.

If you use an engine, all you have to do is put the tilesets in there and the character graphics, you've got yourself a game. (Just make sure that the tilesets work first!!!)

Even though I've never used MMF2 or any clickteam product for that matter, I'd definitely suggest using a static engine. You don't have to rework much and the gameplay will feel a lot smoother.

Try not to rush into anything here. As I can see you have quite a way to go. Take your time, mess with things and see how they work and what does what.

Assuming you have the basic knowledge of X and Y axis in a general game you should be completely fine.

• Like 1

Try not to rush into anything here. As I can see you have quite a way to go. Take your time' date=' mess with things and see how they work and what does what.

Assuming you have the basic knowledge of X and Y axis in a general game you should be completely fine.[/quote']

Yeup! How else did I get Cheese to go to Cream's X,Y coordinates over an IP connection? :awink:

Thanks!! :tgrin:

EDIT: I just changed the resolution to something you can all live with: 480x272 (PSP resolution) TADAAA!!!:aparty:

And now that the animation is WAY better and the screen is WAAAAY smaller, the game achieves 60fps! Yey!

And with regards to the 360degree engine... I'm sorry if this sounds bad but, I don't need it. The kind of game/levels I'm making don't require it. :tgrin:

But thanks anyway!!!

Eheee... Static engine.... I think that's what I'm using with Cheese. One problem: No animation/direction changes. :asweatdrop:

And what's so wrong with Platform movement anyway? Yeah, it's not the greatest, but it still works. :tgrin:

Sure, it works, but it's nothing like actual Sonic and there's no reason not to use a 360 engine when there's so many out there for free. Most people aren't content with an "eh, good enough" mindset when it comes to the games that they make.

What's wrong with Platform Movement? You sir don't look like you've been using MMF2 for five years otherwise this would've been well known to you 4 years ago. Anyway, bitching aside.

Prepare for my Wall of Text

Platform movement is a built in movement in MMF2 which has no anti sink, ala getting stuck in walls all the god damn time. There are ways of course you can do this. My means of methods of a static engine but this is a waste of time since the way you will have to improve the movement to even make it barely bearable you'd may as well of made a static engine anyways. A Static Engine used the control of one active object which has attached to it sensors. Such as Left, Right, Up and Down. These are your anti-sinks and collision detectors. Platform Movement also has NO decel or acel "When changing directions". When you change direction, you instantly turn and carry on going in the same speed you were going in the previous. Why "Clickteam" thought this was a good idea I don't know but something somewhere should scream to you that it is a very bad problem.

When making a game, you are in constant competition. Think of it as you starting of a new business and you have the entire rest of the market to battle and contend with. In fan-gaming case, the Market is us "The People who play the games" and the Business is you "The developer of the game itself". People are always trying to win people over, even some do it just for personal fun but seem to also impress. This doesn't mean to win us all over you have to come up with something completely original otherwise you may find yourself losing the grasp and point of Sonic himself. I find myself going nuts over small changes and tweaks to certain things from before. Creativity is a good thing to have with you when doing these things as it can provide a nice mixture of things for us to see that may have not of been done before or as many times. If you really want to know the sudden differences, play SonicXG (a fantastic fangame) and then once you do that, play SonicRoboBlast1 and then you should see the vastly important differences.

One last thing about Platform Movement, is that you cannot control the X and Y of the object. You can only control the speed of both X and Y with a single value. Using Platform movement closes many doors that need to be open and in reality using it is basically restricting yourself and what your game can become. I do suggest you go visit the site that does with this forum "gasp it has a main site? NO WAI! and look at some StaticEngine tutorials. If you look at my previous topics you may find some useful tutorials you could learn from.

Anyways, that's just about all I have to say. Haha.

Ramble over.~

Eheee... Static engine.... I think that's what I'm using with Cheese. One problem: No animation/direction changes. :asweatdrop:

And what's so wrong with Platform movement anyway? Yeah, it's not the greatest, but it still works. :tgrin:

Well if you MUST resort to built-in movement, I suggest using the 'Platform Movement Object' which is fully capable of achieving where you seem to be going with your game. It's simple, yet powerful.

What's wrong with Platform Movement? You sir don't look like you've been using MMF2 for five years otherwise this would've been well known to you 4 years ago. Anyway' date=' bitching aside.

[strike']Prepare for my Wall of Text[/strike]

Platform movement is a built in movement in MMF2 which has no anti sink, ala getting stuck in walls all the god damn time. There are ways of course you can do this. My means of methods of a static engine but this is a waste of time since the way you will have to improve the movement to even make it barely bearable you'd may as well of made a static engine anyways. A Static Engine used the control of one active object which has attached to it sensors. Such as Left, Right, Up and Down. These are your anti-sinks and collision detectors. Platform Movement also has NO decel or acel "When changing directions". When you change direction, you instantly turn and carry on going in the same speed you were going in the previous. Why "Clickteam" thought this was a good idea I don't know but something somewhere should scream to you that it is a very bad problem.

I've made countermeasures to these issues, until about an hour ago, the only thing other that the platform movement I was using was 2 fastloop sets per character to act as anti-sinkers. They work most of the time, and you have to be pretty bad to screw them up completely. But now I'm creating custom physics while still using the basic platform movement. Nobody can turn on a dime while on the ground, although you're free to snap around in the air. (Intentional) Trying to turn around while on the ground and going faster than 20 results in an instant "speed==0" to talk in Java for a moment. And trying to move in the air after colliding with something but still jumping up generally results in no more aerial movement, BUT-- I have plans to fix that. Yes, all this will make a very code-heavy game, but I think it'll be okay! Just gotta' cheer up! :tgrin:

Either way dude, platform movement is no good. Platform Movement OBJECT is the way to go for you. It's insanely simple and good customization.

(And now for something completely different)

Bad news:

The source file for AdvancePro is currupt, the backup files do NOT load and dropbox decided it would give me an error uppon trying to restore a previous version. WOOP WOOP! For the time being or untill I decide otherwise, It will be canceled.

Good news:

I still have all of my graphics so not all is gone. I just need to rebuild the entire game.......

Man I wish someone would come up with a SonicAdvance Base engine =P. Would save me a ton of time from doing it again.

Anyways, I'll keep you guys informed on what happens next.

Now, if you'll excuse me. I'm going to burn my MMF2 case.

Either way dude' date=' platform movement is no good. Platform Movement OBJECT is the way to go for you. It's insanely simple and good customization.

(And now for something completely different)

Bad news:

The source file for AdvancePro is currupt, the backup files do NOT load and dropbox decided it would give me an error uppon trying to restore a previous version. WOOP WOOP! For the time being or untill I decide otherwise, It will be canceled.

Good news:

I still have all of my graphics so not all is gone. I just need to rebuild the entire game.......

Man I wish someone would come up with a SonicAdvance Base engine =P. Would save me a ton of time from doing it again.

Anyways, I'll keep you guys informed on what happens next.

Now, if you'll excuse me. I'm going to burn my MMF2 case.[/quote']

Oh, god! It did that to my Tails AI 3 months ago! I remember how I did it, and no longer need it, but damn! I was sooooo pissed!:smidge:

Uhmm.... Thanks... Aaheheheh.... (:asweatdrop::tgrin:)

Just dropped Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy in the middle of Grasstown/Bushlands. (Depending on which version of Cave Story you have, the names are different.) The level is completely playable, so I'll just use it as the online room, since it's not part of the actual game. Now to make the first boss. :tbored:

EDIT: Grasstown can now be freely explored by Cream and X number of Cheese's.

Ooookey.... Cream is now using the platform movement object with her movement on static... :asweatdrop:

Is THAT why she's not moving? She just stays at the creation point. HELP!!! :adead:

EDIT: Sorry, I just gave up on the platform movement object. I did everything the tutorial said to do, and yet she just floats in place with her jumping animation, and detectors beside her. Platform movememnt OBJECT does nothing.

You need to have an two areas in a level to where one screen looks identical to another.

When you get to a that certain point in the level, you are going to basically subtract the difference in position. You'll also need to change whatever offsets are on the parallax to make it not look like it suddenly jumped.

• Like 1