A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

TailsSena Physics Help

You need to have an two areas in a level to where one screen looks identical to another.

When you get to a that certain point in the level, you are going to basically subtract the difference in position. You'll also need to change whatever offsets are on the parallax to make it not look like it suddenly jumped.

Now I gotcha'. Just need to figure-out the offset stuff and it'll be good to go. :tgrin:

An easier way for you, would be to have another room. Level as big as the resolution and give the floor path movement. You'd have to do a premade level floor shape though and constantly add to the Xspeed. But with you using Platform movement that is next to impossible to control. The only thing you could do, is SetXpos of itself -1. Assuming you are using a mask "Which you should be".

What is a mask you say? Look at the tutorials.

An easier way for you' date=' would be to have another room. Level as big as the resolution and give the floor path movement. You'd have to do a premade level floor shape though and constantly add to the Xspeed. But with you using Platform movement that is next to impossible to control. The only thing you could do, is SetXpos of itself -1. Assuming you are using a mask "Which you should be".

What is a mask you say? Look at the tutorials.[/quote']

Naah. That's harder! Making an active count as a backdrop is just a pain. :tstare:

For fun, yeah... :asweatdrop:

But that aside, Sonic now uses the Platform Movement object. I finally got it working!! :aparty::tgrin:

And I'm working on an AI system that uses the Platform Movement object and perhaps a couple detectors... :tstare: First test subject is Tails!!

Then Knuckles

Then Amy

...Quote

Curly Brace

Sora

Roxas...

...Whoever else I decide to import... :asweatdrop:

EDIT: Tails now follows Sonic, but he's REALLY stupid. I'll work on it more.

There are some good methods to get you going on AI. To get good results.

What I'd do is compare pixels between the two masks and then apply behaviors accordinly. I'd also keep an Object called "AI-Values" and put keys in there such as

LEFT

RIGHT

UP

DOWN

BUTTON01

BUTTON02

BUTTON03

BUTTON04

ACTION

ACTIVATED

etc...

Lol, all this stuff about "platform movement" will pretty much be destroyed the moment he starts improving his games.

And static is only slightly better -- pixel movement is the best thing next to the Sonic Worlds engine, imo. (at least, im using it for MY game.) The chance of you breaking a wall is very, very slim (unless you're moving at ridiculous speeds and skipping over walls.)

And in terms of AI...you might want to look up "State Engines", or get someone to explain them to you. Funny thing, i was using State Engines back during TGF before i even remotely knew what they were, because the method gets things done very well. (I actually think DW pointed them out in a topic a few years ago, and i looked and was like "HEY i do this all the time") And if you use them right there's little room for error or bugs. (And tons of possibilities for AI)

Edit: Sorry, State "Machine". Same thing.

http://sonicunited.org/hsfqmtif/forum/showthread.php?t=3175&highlight=Finite+State+Engine

There you go. Learn the concept, it's immensely helpful. And thank DW, and all his overly-technical glory.

Uhm... Thanks? :asweatdrop:

What DW is saying sounds just like a much more complex variation on Amy's AI in my game. In "state" 0, she'll follow Sonic, and in "state" 1, she tries to follow misery. I'll make her try killing Misery very soon. But, I have no real need for a static engine anymore. The platform movement object is like a very basic pixel engine compiled into an extention, or at least... That's how it's going for me. :tgrin:

btw (and completely off topic): I'd love to see Tails' Adventure 2! The first one was really fun, but at the same time, pretty terrible...

EDIT: I really don't like knuckles, and I can't think of a good approach for his AI, so Imma' just cut him. That okay?-- Good.

Alright guys! BIG news!! Spindash works, and Tails will mime you when performed!!! :aparty::tgrin:

It may sound standard, but hey, I'm pretty novice at this. Now to make a chargeable spindash... At the moment it works like in Sonic 1-- Only by pressing down while already moving. Should I make a real spindash, or keep it this way? I mean, keeping it like this feel a little odd, even owning Sonic 1, but it would add a bit more challenge once I get my level's going...

And yes, Blaze, I intend to put a bit more consistency into the level design so it has a theme, while still being totally random... "You know, like Poptarts!" --DW