A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

An EF5 tornado just destroyed my home town.

Spike

I live in Joplin Missouri, as some of you know. Right now, the town is all over CNN and the Weather Channel due to the destruction. Throughout the night, while searching for family members, I saw dead bodies, burning buildings, and mountains of rubble as far as you can see. Why am I posting this? I don't really know. The few people I talk to on here may be curious about my well being, and what it's like out here. Luckily, my family was alright, but I can't say the same for the dead and dying I found along the way. I guess just keep your prayers and thoughts out there for all of those people. You never really think something like this can happen to you until it does.

(Right now, I'm at my girlfriends place a few miles north of town, that's how I've got internet. But phones are down, and there's no telling how long the power will last here. Wish us luck.)

Edit: There's a live stream of things around town here.

I live in Joplin Missouri, as some of you know. Right now, the town is all over CNN and the Weather Channel due to the destruction. Throughout the night, while searching for family members, I saw dead bodies, burning buildings, and mountains of rubble as far as you can see. Why am I posting this? I don't really know. The few people I talk to on here may be curious about my well being, and what it's like out here. Luckily, my family was alright, but I can't say the same for the dead and dying I found along the way. I guess just keep your prayers and thoughts out there for all of those people. You never really think something like this can happen to you until it does.

(Right now, I'm at my girlfriends place a few miles north of town, that's how I've got internet. But phones are down, and there's no telling how long the power will last here. Wish us luck.)

Edit: There's a live stream of things around town here.

Looks like I'm not the only person on this forum getting EF5 tornadoes this season then eh? Well, my thoughts are out to you.

Glad to know your family and you are fine, dude. I don't know exactly what I'm talking about, as my country doesn't have tornadoes or vulcanic action, but we do sometimes have problems with floods and heavy rain in some cities. And judging that your home city might be like those who were affected by floods here (of course, in a greater scale), I wish you the best of my luck. Unfortunately, lives are lost all around the globe... I lost a big friend of mine on the last week, and it's pretty hard to go to school and look to where he used to seat, and make his idiot jokes lol. If you did also lose any friends over there, sorry for remembering you that... but if you're only sad because of the dead people you saw, just... try not to look at them. I know it may look like indiference, but what your eyes don't see, your heart doesn't feel.

Wish you the best of my luck and safe, again.

America doesn't have volcanic action either. Well, unless you count Hawaii. Or maybe Washington, that one time. I was just saying...it's a creepy thought, and probably a terrible way to go. Like Tornadoes. While i was in school, a tornado literally passed like a mile down the campus from us. A gas station we used to use was like....gone, and the woman i think is still missing..

Thanks for the well-wishes, everyone. Today I went and got all of my family members that were trapped in their areas last night and took them to a safe place. There are a lot of people still missing here, too. The death toll rose to 120 today, with dozens still missing. I saw them peeling someone off the road, and another person impaled on a tree. It's pretty gruesome out there. Either I got out without any mental problems, or it just hasn't hit me yet.

Also, I've got some pictures here...

228642_10150199167377871_841222870_6939349_3784470_n.jpg

My old high school

249272_10150199167402871_841222870_6939350_4020457_n.jpg

The view of the city from my grandparents area.

photo.php?fbid=10150199167482871&set=a.10150199167317871.330547.841222870&type=1

The shopping district.

225556_10150199167622871_841222870_6939356_2930169_n.jpg

The grocery store I always went to.

The pictures are from the news, but I was walking through these areas myself. The town is covered in army barracades and road blocks, so you can't drive. Even if you could, there are trees and debris covering all of the roads. It's an incredible sight, the pictures don't do it justice. You have to be walking, climbing, and jumping over all of this stuff to really get the feel of it.

Just saw the afternoon news in "Jornal Hoje" here. It just says that 70% of Joplin has been devastated, and it's about the worst tornado in the USA in 61 years.

I know you're probably shocked for now, Spike, but remember what I said... maybe you should get your family and get the hell outta there. The more contact you get with this, the more nuts you can become in future (seriously, I can't even imagine the guy on the tree you said you saw). If you're still worried about any friends or known people that may still be missing, give all the support you can then. But yet, I recommend you to get away from this place, oh NOW.

Actually, they're reporting more tornadic weather tonight. But from my guess, that's just paranoia. I mean, even the night of the actual tornado, nobody gave a shit when they heard the sirens. They sound them every time it rains around here, they're so paranoid.

Joplin also happens to be NASCAR driver Jamie McMurray's Hometown.

Be safe Spike. we wouldnt want anything to happen to a follow SFGHQer

btw i almost had a Tornado very near where i live in North Carolina back on April 28. Thankfully it never got near my home.

Jesus fuck... The weather all across the globe seems to be worse than usual this year. Mother Nature just doesn't want to quit.

I know what you mean! Last year, my grandmother's entire town was completely trashed by an insane tornado (part of three tornadoes; this thing was actually on an episode of Storm Chasers). She and her entire basement survived, and after about four months, she moved out of this condominium she was staying in for a time and into a freshly-manufactured house, which I recall was built over her old basement.

These tornadoes are hitting more towns and cities than I can ever recall.