A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

3DS (who's gettin it on sunday?)

Scarletdark

The momment is almost here.

The 3ds is nintendo's next big handheld which comes out this sunday and I just happen to have enough money to buy it on said date. I'm very much aware that the system lacks a bunch of good launch titles, and that there will probably be a 3DSi super hyper HD remix in a few months, but I got the money so why not?

Anyone else adventurous (stupid) enough to join me?

I'm getting one. It came out here yesterday, but annoyingly, although the website I ordered from sent my games out nice and early (got them a day early), they only dispatched my 3DS itself yesterday on a next-day (working day) delivery so unless I get lucky, I'm not expecting it to turn up until Monday.

Typical really, as the 3DS is a system with so much built-in stuff to play with, would have been better to have a system before games, rather than games before system. So I've got Street Fighter, Pilotwings and Monkey Ball which are all useless until my system arrives.

But on Monday this week I did get the chance to have a go on some augmented reality games in a shop, which was amusing as I was playing Face Raiders (I assume), shooting enemies with my face on, the game tells me the enemies are behind me, but the fun part of all this is that the system was attached to a shop staff member (not female, unfortunately) who literally got it in the neck as I tried to turn to shoot the enemies all around me. Then the guy got out a giant paper version of the "?" card and put it on the floor so I could try the shooting game with the dragon coming out of a hole in the shop floor. They might want to get that fixed, that dragon will scare customers away almost as effectively as their prices do, good thing I was there to deal with the beast.

Couldn't really see the 3D effect, but the circumstances and games probably weren't the best for testing, since my eyesight is uneven, I'll just have to give it a good testing when mine arrives.

EDIT: GOT IT! Running through set-up, seems 3D works for me if I look at it from an odd angle, I'll see how it is when I actually play something I suppose. Damn my uneven eyes!

EDIT 2: done setting up and had a fly around Wuhu island for a while, I managed to see the 3D effect eventually (without playing at a silly angle, thankfully), and it's quite odd when I move the depth slider up and down, volcano comes, volcano goes, volcano comes, volcano goes. Viewing the 3D make my smaller right eye water, presumably as it's trying to adjust to an unnatural view, and it's probably not as strong an effect as it would be for someone with proper eyes, but I'm just glad I CAN see some of it.

EDIT 3: Time for a good old fasion SIG TEST! And it works! I have a playable sig below this message!

EDIT... I'VE GIVEN UP COUNTING: From the first start-up, I've noticed something odd. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but sometimes the mic on my 3DS goes crazy with menu items spinning and jumping like mad (which I thought was supposed to be a nice little secret, rather than being right there the first time you see the main menu), and loading up the mic test shows it's recognising lots of noise, even though everything's perfectly quiet. Sometimes it's fine, but I have no idea what's (if it's not just random) causing it to start and stop. Turning off and restarting doesn't solve it, downloading the update doesn't solve it, and I worked out where the mic was and made sure I didn't touch it, even putting the system down and it still happens, odd. Only used it in my home so far, wondering if anything in our area is causing interference with it, but I'm not a technical guy, could simply be that I have a faulty 3DS, everything else seems fine.

Got to filddle with it cause a friend took it home earyl. It is awesome from what little I tried of it. The 3D screen is really cool. It doesn't strain your eyes like glasses or the virtual boy did. And the angle you'd be playing it as is what you need to get the 3D to work right anyway. And you can turn it off too. Also it can take 3D picturse.

All in all it's a really cool system that I can't wait to have the money to get.

I'll wait for the price to hit the 175-200 range. There isn't and never will be a portable on this planet that is worth 250. Well, if you don't play mostly portable games anyway.

Anyway, because it's relevant:

2707-1602-0782 - Ila's friend code. He's going to add everyone who posts their friend codes in here, but for a myriad of reasons, I'm posting this in his stead.

I walked into the Post Exchange (an Army Wal-mart) yesterday, and as you entered--I kid you not--a display with Nintendo 3DSs and all of the release games. Just sitting there. Not locked up. And it was right by the main entrance.

But of course, I had to resist, and spend hundreds of dollars on toiletries and supplies for

my extended "spring break" in the Middle East.

Man, how my priorities have changed. Maybe I'll get one if I get really, really bored.

Tested my 3DS in two other locations yesterday and the mic seemed to behave, so looks like something in my home area may be interfering with it, which will be a nuisance if I ever get a game that requires mic use.

Face Raiders has provided all the funniest moments, been collecting peoples' faces, even cats and dogs can't escape (although they certainly try), fighting my cat as the boss was hilarious! What was also hilarious was how the 3DS recognised my older brother (mid-30s) as a baby boy.

Been jumping between things, but probably played Pilotwings the most, which is a shame as it's a short game, I'll start really getting into it and I'll be done. I'm quite good at crashing my plane and landing my Mii in the sea instead of on the landing targets, which probably helps extend my playtime on this. Well, I never was any good at flight simulators.

Run through two easiest-setting games of Street Fighter. It's nice to see the effect with the special viewing angle, but a similar viewing angle in Dead or Alive 3 on Xbox made it's final boss a nightmare, and it makes things awkward here as well, so I'll most likely switch to standard view when playing properly with higher difficulty, plus I found I simply couldn't keep the system steady during fights, causing the loss of the 3D effect.

As for Monkey Ball, it is said that children under a certain age should not play with the 3D effect on, yet this game seems clearly aimed at them. My two young nieces went straight for this game when given the choice of game to try. When I start playing this properly, falling out of the level may be more of an achievement than finishing a level, guides and rails simply don't want to let you roll off the course. What happened to the challenge we had in the Gamecube games? EDIT: Started playing properly, gone through all seven worlds easier than I thought, even the last few levels didn't bother to throw up a challenge. Gamecube Monkey Ball had harder levels than this entire game even in the early stages and the levels in this one have nowhere near the amount of imagination gone into them as earlier games in the series. END EDIT

Everyone I show the system to turns the depth slider right down to minimal-but-still-3D level, hmm.

And just for the heck of it: 3523-2031-7144 Yes, it's a secret code that can be used to blow up the planet, or add me as a friend on your 3DS, the choice is yours... goodbye planet!