A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Holy **** japan is getting it hard

Serephim

Japan is getting absolutely butt-f***ed right now. 8.9 Earthquake which leads to Tsunami which leads to possible meltdown of two nuclear reactors.

What the hell, dude. Earthquake was bad and the Tsunami was even worse. But the possibility of multiple meltdowns is just catastrophic. They're having to resort to methods now that already is estimated to, at the very least, be pumping radioactive steam into the air for months to come.

They're calling this the worse disaster since WWII, and the irony is that it may end (again) with nuclear fallout disasters.

when people try to become trolls like that, it's best of people just ignore them and not glorify their retarded messages.

Yeah i wish there was some way i could help. Katrina was bad, Sri Lanka was terrible...but this could be even worse than Sri Lanka if nuclear meltdown is added into the mix.

There's absolutely no chance of a nuclear meltdown. the situation is totally under control. The news has been sensationalizing and fear mongering to such an extreme during the course of this, though, that I'm suprised anyone really knows what's going on.

What happened is they filled the reactors with sea water so everything is fine on the two that were in danger. if any others get worse, they have security systems in place that can stop it. The sea water is just a last option thing that makes the reactors totally worthless, but gets them down to cold status really quickly. There was a byproduct of lots of hydrogen though, and so it popped the top of the (really flimsy) reactor room. The containment has been unharmed in the process of all this.

the security systems from what i hear are all done for. The tsunami flooded all their equipment that was supposed to stop them from overheating in the first place.

Situation is under total control? I doubt that. The third reactor just blew up today, and that was the one that was "somewhat stable" compared to the other two. It didn't breach the reactor, but still.

"Total Control" doesn't really mean much at this point, because either way they put it, they're polluting the hell out of that area and possibly more of the country if the winds decide to change. If the cores by chance DO go through a full meltdown, it'll be far worse.

Their economy is gonna get raped from this. And to top it off, it pretty much nixes any chance of us adopting Nuclear Power as a main energy source over here for a couple more decades.

The radiation hitting the west coast is as dangerous as living in Denver for a whole year? Fuck.

If anything, this meltdown situation shows how generally safe nuclear power is. An epic disaster strikes and the amount of danger it poses to the public is relatively minimal, if at all. A coal plant explosion would probably have been much worse. Most of what you are hearing about this right now is fear mongering.

Guess so. Thanks for that article.

In the back of my mind wondered, "this is 2011, how on earth could this reactor have the same issues that one in Russia had those years back AND be in Japan".

So do we chock this up to the coal plant owners or something? Yeah even if it's being hyped up really bad, the fact that Nuclear Power is now another 900 years away from being taken seriously still stands.

Yeah, but we actually share more than a superficial level of culture with the Japanese. It only makes sense that on a games forum, we care more about 10,000 Japanese than we do about 250,000 Indians/other Indian Island regional people, because they give us something that we value whereas all we ever see from the rest of these places is cheap crap and telemarketers. I'll be honest with you, I barely even cared when I heard about the tsunami. I just thought at the time "Oh damn!" and went about my life as normal, and yeah, in retrospect I probably should have been a little more reverent, but it wouldn't have helped any of them (and frankly, neither would donating money since dead people really don't have that much use for it). This on the other hand has me feeling like people that I can legitimately relate to are suffering and so it impacts me more even though less people are involved... and let's be honest, 10,000, 350,000, once death tolls start getting higher than 20 we really stop caring how big it is for any reason other than comparison.

It's funny though, Union Carbide fucked up more Indians than this disaster even came close to with Japanese and the people who perpetrated that catastrophe basically got off Scot free, so that shows you just how much people value the lives of the Indian people. It's really a tragedy, but such is the fate of people from the 3rd world.