A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic the Hedgehog Phore

Chaos Rush

Your sonic is perfect(better than original). tails looks cute but in that static image it looks kinda weird if you know what I mean. It'd be great if he animated in that position maybe? I can allready sorta see how he waggles from left to right while standing still. Though if I had to compare them the way they are displayed i'd say the original is better.

I agree with overbound about knuckles

You should Shade Knuckle Sonic 3 sprite like Chaotix and use that.

I tried that and it came out rather ugly... It would be much easier to either make a custom sprite or edit Chaotix sprites, since the shading on Knuckles Sonic 3 sprites is kinda bad.

The Chaotix art style is more Sonic 1/2/CD style than it is S3K. It doesn't really match your level art either.

The styles aren't really different. I view S3K as just the 1/2/CD perfected, it's not like the shading is any different. Knuckles had no problem fitting into Sonic 2's level art in Knuckles in Sonic 2.

And I really dislike Sonic's sprite in Sonic 1/2/CD. He looks like a dork, and he looks really "wimpy". I prefer his S3K sprites where he looks more serious, and he's ready to kick ass with his sneer and slightly bigger fists.

I know that nobody mentioned Sonic Crackers sprites which can be viewed as Chaotix style, but, seriously, these are the ugliest Sonic sprites I have ever seen.

I don't really see a problem with these sprites and the level art:

60194639.png

Your sonic is perfect(better than original). tails looks cute but in that static image it looks kinda weird if you know what I mean. It'd be great if he animated in that position maybe? I can allready sorta see how he waggles from left to right while standing still. Though if I had to compare them the way they are displayed i'd say the original is better.

I agree with overbound about knuckles

I think the problem with custom Tails was that I made the head slightly off-center. How does it look now? (his head was moved to the right 1 pixel):

finisho.png

(also I made Knuckles less pink)

That's not really what I meant. I'm saying the Chaotix shading style doesn't work on the S3K sprites, because the Chaotix art style is based more on the S1/2/CD style, which the S3K art style is different from. This is why (IMO at least) the Tails sprites from XG are the ugliest in the lot.

S3Ks sprite style is a lot smoother in terms of shading, and a bit more cartoony (notably Sonic and his clown shoes).

The level tiles aren't Chaotix style, that's why they don't match.

I think the sprites look fine in that screen-shot there honestly. Personally I never like the level art for chaotix, it felt like it was awkwardly blurred or something. Honestly this looks better with those sprites to me, much clearer.

Besides, it's his project, if he thinks they look good, then he can use em.

Though tail's snout is pretty eehh, flat. :P

• 2 weeks later...

While your game looks like it's coming along well, I've never really thought it was a good idea to follow up to a sequel of the official games unless you have a well-established team of artists and level designers willing to give time and effort towards your game. It's just a lot to live up to to do so, but I wish you the best. :D

While your game looks like it's coming along well, I've never really thought it was a good idea to follow up to a sequel of the official games unless you have a well-established team of artists and level designers willing to give time and effort towards your game. It's just a lot to live up to to do so, but I wish you the best. :D

Ah yes because of all those well established Sonic 3 sequels that have been so successful.

482.jpg

Ehehe... sorry guys, but I've recently gotten into 4th Gen Pokemon hacking, and I haven't dine much work on this in the past few days. But I've decided that I'll split the work evenly on what I work on. Currently I'm working on classic Amy Rose sprites in the style of the other sprites I posted earlier.

Sonic Advance 1 HD would have made a good Sonic 4.

Then again, maybe not.

Ehh, no. But I still think Sonic Advance is a great game, definitely not Sonic 4 material, but thats okay because they smartly chose not to call it Sonic 4. Plus, Advance 1 is more Sonic 4 than the recent shit that came out of Dimps's asses in October.

To make Sonic Advance a Sonic 4, it would need checkpoint mini games, elemental shields, mini bosses in Act 1, at least 7 more zones, longer levels (Egg Rocket Zone is already long enough though), and cutscenes.

Dimps was much better in 2001...

I don't see why everyone thinks a Sonic 4 needs to copy/build off what Sonic 3 already did. I think it'd be cooler to see new ways to enter bonus stages, special stages, different variations in zone length, etc.

Well, some people, like me, think Sonic 3 & Knuckles is the best Sonic game of all time. Yes, you could argue that there should be new ways to enter bonus/special stages, but from a game called Sonic 4, I expect zone length to be at least as long as the ones in S3&K. Which would average to around 3-6 minutes, not Sonic 4's 2-3 minutes. I prefer bigger zones.

(and one thing I forgot to mention, if SAdv1 were to be Sonic 4, it would also need different graphics per act like S3&K did, and S4E1 has failed to do so)

EDIT: What's a good recording program? I would like to show some footage of what I have.

Okay, I'm getting quite sick of Damizean's Xmas Engine. Way too many things you have to keep track of IMO, and it rapes CPU completely. And Fraps is a terrible video recorder, especially when you have a fangame that normally runs at a perfect 60 FPS.

Because I'm working on a much simpler engine (but with the same amount of features, including multiple gravity angles), I've decided I should release what I've done with the old engine.

So here is Generic Beach Zone Act 1, with no boss. When you reach an area that looks like this, you're at the end.

Here is the really lame, 1-Act Alpha

I didn't know there was a demo until today. The game is clearly still on an alpha stage. I've noticed some bugs and glitches which is yeah, obvious in an alpha build. I have to compliment you on something I found really good... like really really good, and that is the level design.

That is some excellent level design chaos rush. You're doing an excellent job on that department. I also love the art. It really looks like something you'd see in a sonic 4 :D