A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic 2 HD: Discussion Thread [Noting that Thread is uninvolved with Creators]

Scarletdark

VqOJV.png

Ok guys 1.5 hours left till this thing comes out and I have nothing better to do than wait eagerly till the alpha releases (I hope it releases). I'm pretty sure everyone in the fanbase knows what Sonic2HD is by now but if not this could help.

I've been dieing to play a much more developed version of this game and am so glad that it didn't just turn into vaporware. Although, I love a ton of the games that come from the sonic community (time twisted, SFR, Eggman hates furries, axiom, sorry if I didn't name yours their are a ton) I've really been waiting for this one.

Hope It's as amazing as I'm hyping it to be...

Countdown website: http://www.s2hd.sonicretro.org/

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta be honest. I stayed up all night for this. Knowing sonicretro and their general reaction towards SEGA's products and PR job with sonic 4, I was sure that it was going to blow us(or at least me) away like they have always done in the past.

Fucking pricks, that's all I got to say. A countdown huh, for this shit? As someone else said at the retro forums. This was not countdown worthy, at all.

Anyway, what has been shown does not impress me either. Sonic fan remix on the other hand, that was some impressive stuff.

I'm more of a night person anyway, since I work at noons and evenings. But I did stay up longer than I normally do. I guess expecting what they planned to deliver wasn't a good idea :). I just thought that sonicretro wasn't the place to go all sonic 4 with it's own community.

The point of the countdown is pretty obvious is it not? Look at all of you. All of you are now talking about this, thinking about this and discussing this game. Therefore, mission accomplished. You've all been advertrolled. That was their goal and they succeeded. Evil as their goals may or may not be, you can't say there was no reason or point to the countdown.

PCZ, I gotta say "if" their goal was taking an example of SEGA's rage inducing pr job, I kinda find that hard to believe. This is not a profitable game. Their not aiming for profit or anything. They just simply want to fulfill a dream that is never going to be fulfilled officialy. Of course it's nice to get a lot of attention in doing so and feel proud about it. But i'm sure it's not "bad attention" they were aiming for. I don't get how bad attention is a better thing than good attention, how a playable demo or a longer footage would have been a worse thing? But what they ended up giving was just dissapointing after the way they hyped it up as one of sonicretro's project that is gonna blow away the community.

As i've read at sonicretro. The countdown was indeed going to offer a demo, as you can see in one of the pictures saying alpha release

I know making a big deal out of this is kinda stupid. But to put it simply. When your among a community that loves sonic, and promise beautiful things about the said character ending up with so little, it's gonna get some people upset.

There are some fans that don't really care about official products and rather look forward to what fans have to offer. I am one of those. I'd rather play sonic time twisted or sonic fan remix than anything sonicteam has delivered the last decade. I support all you guys who intentionally or unintentionally still satisfy the forgotten fanbase.

The point of the countdown is pretty obvious is it not? Look at all of you. All of you are now talking about this, thinking about this and discussing this game. Therefore, mission accomplished. You've all been advertrolled. That was their goal and they succeeded. Evil as their goals may or may not be, you can't say there was no reason or point to the countdown.

incoming: just_as_planned.jpg

Even though I liked the first screenies and general concept of this project at first, I quickly forgot about it. So in the end, I don't care.

Playing Gen/MD Sonic 2 in whatever form you can = problem solved.

(Yeah, it looks pretty and all that, but it's the same levels and same bosses, so pretty much same game in the end, even with the extras they mention. What's that thing most people love to say? Err, 'pretty graphics alone don't make a game'?)

Déjà vu anyone?

Coming up in two weeks: Concept art of a badnik.

*storms off*

Oh, you should see the backlash this is getting over at Retro. Tweaker is threatening to cut off their hosting and kick them out of the community project forum. It's hilarious.

Yeah some of the graphics seem a little off to me. For some reason Sonic's colours seem a little too dark to me. Especially his skin tone. Something else is bothering me about them but I can't quite place my finger on it, but its there.

Still looks decent though overall, I like the pieces of that artwork shown in the trailer. What I don't like though is the trailer itself, I haven't payed much attention to the Sonic community as a whole the last few months, but to tease a teaser is a trend I fucking hate so much right now with the games industry as a whole.

Edit: I think I know what is bothering me about the graphics, especially looking at the screenshots - everything feels so FLAT. I mean yes, it is 2D, but it just feels like some depth is missing, or -something- is missing from the graphics at least. I can appreciate the work going into it though, I just feel like its still not quite what it should be with a community driven team (which has a lot more people attached to it than your average fangame).

I'll still give it a whirl though.