A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

The GT5 discussion thread

DJ espeed

Ok. Not a lot of us here are car buffs, but I reckoned this thread needed to be made. On to the point of this thread.

Gran Turismo 5, the oft-delayed sim, has been out for almost 2 months now. Have you picked it up? What are your thoughts on it?

Here are my own thoughts on it (in short).

I got the game as a late Christmas present (see my post in the Christmas/New Year's thread) and so far have liked it. The "GT Mode" menu is somewhat cluttered, but still manageable. So far I've built up a garage of at least 10 or so "Premium" cars and about 5 "standard" model cars. B-spec mode from GT4 returns, and I've heard it's quite good. (Never really cared for it, but hey. I'm an A-spec kinda guy.) The physics are good, but the damage system is in dire need of work. My biggest gripes are with the Standard cars and environments, as most of them, cars and tracks, are more than likely imported and upscaled from GT PSP or GT4. As a result, the simulation with those cars and tracks is not optimal. But otherwise, it's a great game.

Pros:

-200 or so Premium cars

-Seasonal "Bonus" Events that are rewarding in Cr. and Driver Level.

-A definite improvement upon past entries in the realm of physics, simulation, and graphics.

-NASCAR, WRC, and JGTC licences/licenses.

-New Customization features and the return of racing mods.

-User BGM... Not to say the in-game music isn't awesome. Because it is.

Cons:

-Standard cars and environments are a possible sign of laziness, possibly done as such to get the game out in time?

-Limited list of cars available for fitting aero kits and racing mods.

-"The Entertainer" is not a real suitable GT Auto theme.

-Customization should've included a livery editor.

Edit: I recommend playing this with a wheel, like the Logitech Driving Force GT. Makes the experience even more worthwhile.

Piracy is so cool

Yeah, we know. :/ But what is cool is your avatar. Professor Layton with sunglasses? I'd say that's win.

Now that the ps3 has been super hacked, it's only a matter of time before I'm playing GT5 myself ;D, I've got it ready to go, just need them to give me the means to play it.

Nice. :omg: Haha, I'll be waiting online for when you do get it. We'll need to do a race or something on Toscana or somethin' like that.

Pirates are cool. Piracy is not. Don't do drugs kids. Oh, and alcohol is not your friend.

I honestly can't play car games. For the same reason I can't play sports games. They're too close to reality to qualify as fun for me. Last one I tried was Need for Speed: Shift, and it licks balls. GT5 sure does look purdy, though.

I did a photo-mode comparison between GT5 and Forza 3. The car is the hot 2009 Ferrari 458 Italia on the world-renowned Circuit de la Sarthe. The angle isn't exactly the same and neither is the location on the track, although they should be close to the same distance from the first chicane on the Mulsanne Straight.

Forza Motorsport 3

I liked the angle I got here. The better details on the car lie in the wheels, sadly, and the colors just don't seem as natural as those in the GT5 shot.

24xmk94.jpg

Gran Turismo 5

Not the best angle, but the closest I could get to the one in the Forza image. The colors look the most natural in GT5. HDR has its benefits in lighting in this game, although the way that light comes off that building seems slightly irritating. Also, the car shape looks better here. It should also be noted that GT5 simulates DRL's, or Daytime Running Lights.

ou7ehg.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the BUMP.

More Photomode shots for you... in glorious 1080p. The car is the 2006 Ford GT.

It's got 840hp, weighs in at about ~1200 or so kg, has some nice BBS wheels, some extensions and a wing. The first two shots below are at Ahrweiler Town Square. Do note that the Photomode allows for higher poly counts on the car.

15yhg1g.jpg

21a4v9.jpg

And this last shot with the same car was in the rain at the Circuit de la Sarthe.

2ywv7ko.jpg

Edit: Moving these pictures to my "Car Art" thread in the Art Forum.

• 2 weeks later...