A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Birth by Sleep...?

Serephim

...has anyone played this game?

Like, i recently acquired the game and have been playing through Ventus' story. Last game in the series i played was KH2, which pissed me off since the gameplay was such a downgrade from the first. (still fun though. The gameplay just never could keep up with all the shit sora could do.)

This game though? God damn, im really impressed with the new combat system. That whole "MASH X REALLY FAST AND WIN" concept was chucked out the window and stomped on with this game; start it on Proud mode, and you'll be eating Continue screens like nobody's business. The combat doesn't ever get repetitive like it does in KH2, because every now and then, an enemy will be introduced that requires you to change your strategy up...which is made really easy by the new "command style" system and D-links.

Bosses take actual skill, and you can no longer block every attack in the game. Every now and then an enemy will have a really annoying ability, but nothing that cant be countered by not..you know, mashing X and moving around. Also, those abilities in KH2 that completely broke the game (Guard, Counter Attack, Reflectga) have been taken out, and you can no longer just win by guarding and counter attacking everything. Final Boss for Ventus killed me about 40 times in a row, but once i finally beat it, i still had that "BOY that was fun" feeling going on. I've started playing now with Terra and am having fun getting used to his more powerful playstyle.

The game has 3 characters with somewhat different playstyles, and a fairly lengthy story mode for each one. It also has a few really neat minigames. What really threw me for a loop was the fact that there actually is a multiplayer mode in the game -- and the arena bosses are pretty challenging to fight, and give good EXP if you want to solo them for help leveling up in the story mode.

Anyone else gave this game a shot? I haven't been this impressed with an SE title since FFXII. This game almost feels like an old Squaresoft title in execution. There's just alot of stuff to do, and it's madly addictive for a single player game.

edit: Bias aside, just read IGN's review of the game. It was ass, as usual. How this game got a 7.0 for sound and graphics is absolutely beyond me.

edit: Bias aside, just read IGN's review of the game. It was ass, as usual. How this game got a 7.0 for sound and graphics is absolutely beyond me.

Don't look up to IGN to give out good reviews. They're ridiculously retarded...

Also, I've yet to play this game. My PSP is (semi)bricked and can't do shiz about it until I get a Memory Stick. Also Ys 7 is on my PSP list too.

DW, I was pretty pissed with 358/2 days, it was a throwaway game and it showed (this is my opinion here, it just felt like it was all done with used assets).

Birth by sleep though is pretty excellent, I also started my main game in hard mode, and it's pretty damn tough, ESPECIALLY the boss fights, and it's not tough in the cheap kind of way either, once you know the boss patterns you can pretty much roll the boss' face.

I stopped playing, not cause I was bored with the game, it's more of the fact that I have been busy with so much. I do plan on finishing this game.

It sounded a bit much like 358/2 Days for my taste, what with the missions and the multiplayer. Still, it sounds significantly less pointless than that game was storywise and I liked it a bit.

If I ever get a PSP, I'll get it. But as of yet, I'm still not feeling the impetus to get one.

birth by sleep isn't mission based. It follows the flow of the original games.