A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Winter Storm: Mixing Colors

Welcome. I'll be handling this month's concept storm in place of DW.

Sonic Colors is a fun game. I think you'll find very few smart people who disagree with that statement. However, some of the Wisp powers can occasionally be hard to control, too disruptive to gameplay, or just kinda lame. That's where you guys come in.

Take a wisp power, any one you'd like (although I only have exerperience with Wii version wisps) and retool the power. The power must still be the same in spirit, but do whatever you want. Add a new feature, change the way it moves, do what'd you like. As long as it can still be accurately described by an enthusiastic narrator in one word, I'll take it. One more thing. For the sake of simplicity, design the powers as if Sonic was limited to a 2D playing field. That's how most of the power ups work in the Wii version anyway.

I'll have some really neat badges done up for this storm. Just coming up with a viable idea and a diagram that merits discussion will get you one. However you will get a much nicer one if you can make it playable as well.

Aim to have this done by December 31st 11:59 pm.

As per usual, please post your idea here first, and I'll promote any ideas to full topics. Only use this topic for posting ideas. You can talk about the good ones once someone makes the topic.

For those who have not played Colors, please check out Youtube or my descriptions below.

Laser

Upon activating the Wisp, Sonic will hold in place. User points in a direction with the analog stick. As soon as the stick returns to a neutral position, Sonic blasts off in the direction he was aimed. He bounces off obstacles in a predictable fashion, destroying enemies and certain crates in his way. Sonic reverts to normal when his Wisp meter runs out. Can be extended by hitting other Laser wisps.

Drill

Sonic digs underground. He has a relatively large turning radius. Can destroy enemies by attacking them from the sides, but is also prone to taking damage if hit. Can traverse pipes for quick transportation. If used underwater the effect is the same, ending if Sonic leaves water. Can be extended by picking up drill wisps. If the power runs out underground, Sonic dies.

Cube

Sonic initially becomes a cube, slamming into the ground, converting all blue rings to blocks and all blue blocks to blue rings. After hitting the ground Sonic reverts to his normal form, but can reactive the cube form by pressing R, repeating the process. Ground pound also delivers shockwaves destroying metal crates and enemies.

Hover

Sonic is turned into a floating orb that is capable of moving in any direction. His height is increased while holding the jump button, and he can boost by pressing B. Can also perform a light dash by boosting into rings. His wisp energy does not decrease when light dashing.

Spikes

Sonic sticks to any surface in this form. If he jumps he can stick to walls and ceilings. Capable of destroying metal crates as well.

Rocket

Sonic turns into a rocket and beings a slow ascent into the air, followed by a quick boost of energy that rockets him into the air much faster. The initial ascent can be inreased by collecting more Rocket wisps. He player can NOT control his movement as he goes up. Upon reaching max height, Sonic will being a slow descent to the ground.

Frenzy

Sonic turns into a constantly moving monster that destroys everything in sight. The more obstacles destroyed, the larger Sonic grows, and the greater his power increases.

Also sucks in standing rings to Sonic.

Void

Like Frenzy, Sonic turns to a mass of dark monster except he can fly by tapping the jump button. He can move around by using the D-pad. Void acts a vacuum, sucking up nearby objects which causes Sonic to grow. Void can get a speed boost by going through fans in which becomes dark particles when going threw a fan. Wisp energy seems to slow down when Sonic is in particle form. Can be extended by hitting other Void wisps.

Fireball

Sonic turns into a ball of fire and is capable of charging up for multidirection boosts. Also can destroy certain scenery and be used in the air. Has noticeably lower gravity when charging.

Void

Like Frenzy, Sonic turns to a mass of dark monster except he can fly by tapping the jump button. He can move around by using the D-pad. Void acts a vacuum, sucking up nearby objects which causes Sonic to grow. Void can get a speed boost by going through fans in which becomes dark particles when going threw a fan. Wisp energy seems to slow down when Sonic is in particle form. Can be extended by hitting other Void wisps.

Shine: This Wisp power allows Sonic to send off shock waves of light energy, destroying metal blocks and Enemies in it's wake. Unlike Cube, the shock waves spread light to invisible blocks that Sonic can walk on for top secret paths. Tread carefully, as the blocks disappear when Sonic turns to normal.

Shine: This Wisp power allows Sonic to send off shock waves of light energy, destroying metal blocks and Enemies in it's wake. Unlike Cube, the shock waves spread light to invisible blocks that Sonic can walk on for top secret paths. Tread carefully, as the blocks disappear when Sonic turns to normal.

Isn't that the point of this storm? If that's not it, i can be more original with Shine or any other wisp.

@Asuma Isn't void a DS power? Also I'm going to classify your L spark idea simply as Spikes redone.

@MCKaosu, same as you, I'm going to classify your as Cube redone.

Yes, it is I hoping you're gonna add it to the list of the standard Wisp powers.

Laser

Upon activating the Wisp, Sonic will hold in place. User points in a direction with the analog stick. As soon as the stick returns to a neutral position, Sonic blasts off in the direction he was aimed. He bounces off obstacles in a predictable fashion, destroying enemies and certain crates in his way. Sonic reverts to normal when his Wisp meter runs out. Can be extended by hitting other Laser wisps.

This one I feel is one that had a lot of potential in the game but it seriously breaks the flow. It sends you off in a path and then as soon as it ends you stop. What they should have done with the laser is allow you to shoot off in whatever direction you had selected but when you come out of the laser you keep moving forward if you're holding that direction. There wasn't any real reason I could think of that would warrant the laser to make you stop as soon as you were finished using it. That's about the best improvement I can think of for this one.