A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Homing GM6.1

This is the code I use for a homing attack:

// Homing attack
if (PRESS_X) {
if (homing=0 && action) {
homing_target=instance_nearest(x,y,obj_enemy_parent);
homing=1;
}}

dist=distance_to_point(homing_target.x,homing_target.y);
if (dist<100 && homing=1) move_towards_point(homing_target.x,homing_target.y,1;[/CODE]

'Action' means you are jumping. The code sets the homing target, then determines if they are close enough. If so, you move towards the target. I've set code elsewhere that sets 'homing' to 0 if you hit the ground, rails or the target. All of this works as it should.

Problem is, the physics go absolutely insane, and it's all because of those last two lines. Sonic slides along the ground, the accel/decel goes wrong, he starts jumping far too high... And rather than moving towards the enemy with every step, he only does it for one step, even though 'homing' equals 1 until he hits the enemy (or ground).

Removing the last two lines of code clears it up, so they are clearly at fault. i've seen this very code tried and tested in another game, so I know it works. Am I missing something, or is there something about Dami's 360 engine that could be causing it all?

Dami's engine uses it's own speed variables to have better control of movement, so whenever you add speeds that automatically moves the object, the thing goes haywire. Instead of using move_towards_point, you have to act on the existing movement variables. I'm not sure which version you're using, but I believe they're either spd and grav or hspd and vspd.

Anyway, since you can't relly on that function, you have to calculate it for yourself using point_direction and lengthdir_x/y:

// Homing attack
   if (PRESS_X) {
   if (homing=0 &amp;&amp; action) {
   homing=1;
   }}

if (dist&lt;100 &amp;&amp; homing=1) 
   {
      dir = point_direction(x,y,homing_target.x,homing_target.y);
      hspd = lengthdir_x( 5 , dir );
      vspd = lengthdir_y( 5 , dir );
   }

Assuming you had the rest of it right, that is.

• Like 1

So if I was to use this code in the new pack the variable dir would be angle and obviously hspd and vspd will be x/y_speed right? I always wanted to know how to do this

// Homing attack

if (key_action) {

if (homing=0 && action_jumping) {

homing=1;

}}

if (dist<100 && homing=1)

{

dir = point_direction(x,y,homing_target.x,homing_target.y);

x_speed = lengthdir_x( 5 , dir );

y_speed = lengthdir_y( 5 , dir );

}

// If homing 0

if ( place_contact(x,y,objSolid))

{

homing = 0;

}

Would this be right for the new pack Kain?