A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

SA2 for xbox live, what would they change?

flame6753

Hey guys. You already know about the series of Dreamcast re-releases coming to xbox live and ps3. They have already released Sonic Adventure which is upgradeable to Sonic Adventure DX via download content. The game is pretty much essentially exactly the same as the PC version of DX. It's pretty great. Awesome addition to your xbox collection if you don't already own Sonic Adventure DX. Not that it's not really worth it if you already own DX. I bought it anyway even though I own both the Dreamcast and Gamecube games, just because I wanted to play it on xbox. If you're not into that kind of thing, you won't miss anything playing it on your cube/ pc :)

It's a surefire given that Sonic Adventure 2 is going to be released on Xbox in this series somewhere along the line as long as these games sell decently.

What would they change in SA2? Nothing? I don't think so. They upgraded DX graphically before releasing it on Gamecube because they didn't think it was graphically fit for the console. They slightly upgraded SA2 but only had a few months to re-release it for some reason I don't remember atm. Basically ,it looks pretty much the same graphically as it did on dreamcast, just slightly smoother and better shadowing. Wouldn't it be awesome to play SA2 with DX's character models? A perfect re-release of that game in my mind would be this:

• Sonic Adventure 2 with DX Character models
  • Polished and improved blending
  • Xbox Live Versus mode for racing and emerald hunting
  • Xbox Live versus chao karate
  • Xbox Live Chao Racing
  • Trade chaos on Xbox Live
  • Interchangeable soap shoes/normal sonic shoes?

And as with DX I'm pretty sure that since these are dreamcast re-releases, they will release the game initially as Sonic Adventure 2 which will be upgradeable to Sonic Adventure 2 Battle via download content. Since the two games pretty much consist of the same content, there might not be much to upgrade.

That package would consist of.

• Xbox Live kart racing
  • Secret Kart Racing Karts
  • Amy/MetalSonic/Tikal/Chaos/ChaoMechs as playable multiplayer characters along with the few more multiplayer stages that weren't in the original
  • Chao Karate

It might be different that that but more or less equivalent to that from a logical standpoint. I'm pretty excited about this Dreamcast re-releases series, and SA and SA2 are my two favorite 3D Sonic titles. SA had that genesis style platforming, but SA2 was a bit more technical with the gameplay.

What do you think? I think these ideas are pretty much exactly how they will release it with the exception of the DX character models. Chances are that they might leave the characters alone, but it makes sense for them to do it from a marketing standpoint, and I'm sure thats what they thought with DX. The only reason they might not is either because they don't have the source code for SA2..or think the game will do fine on it's own. DX can hold it's own graphically in this day and age, SA2 even SA2B kind of can't. Thoughts?

I hate the models used in SADX. Also, I still contend that having Sonic grind with his normal shoes would result only in him ceasing to have shoes if not simply falling off his center of gravity immediately after grinding.

In general though, screw that. It would take considerable changes for me to even think of re-buying another Sonic game.

EDIT: wow, totally forgot SA2 battle came out on the cube.

Well I don't think extra work will be put into extra features like interchangeable shoes and such.

SA2 holds a weird place in my heart for sonic games, it was the last of the stream of current poop that sega has shat on us that I actually enjoyed somewhat. It was definitely a hodgepodge of crazy ideas, but it had some good ideas deep within.

In general, screw that. It would take considerable changes for me to even think of re-buying a Sonic game.

You'd pirate a Sonic game? Of course you wouldn't, as I was merely trying to jest about.

...it was the last of the stream of current poop that sega has shat on us that I actually enjoyed somewhat. ...

Epic analogy.

Anywho, why would I buy another copy of a game I already own? Only if that game was broken, or if the original AND the platform it was made for was broken. Should the latter be the case, I'd rather emulate.

TBH, I think Online Versus** would be a nice feature. If you improved the driving levels and the Kart Racing mini game, it'd be nice. Xbox Live/PSN related additions to the Chao AI system would be splendid, but only if you offer a mobile solution to compliment it, such as accessing your Chao garden from a PC or a mobile device, such as anything iOS/Android/webOS based. I'd be sold if those were the case, but I just don't think it'd be worth spending money on unless my current copy of SA2B gets broken.

Yeah, that's not going to happen. That would strip down a game at it's base that is already pretty lacking in content. If you took away all the treasure hunting stages, you'd basically be cutting the length of the game by 80-90% since that's where everyone got stuck for hours on end.

Ugh. Mad Space, the first time through? It's like reliving 'Nam. And don't even get me started on Security Hall. These days I can do them all in like 2 minutes or less, but that's only because I spent my time suffering.

IMO, if you're unlucky enough to get one of the emerald placement styles in Aquatic Mine, your A-rank is screwed. Larger levels (namely those in space) tend to be just as difficult as you have to look so high or so low or somewhere in the middle just for those emeralds. But let's not forget that when attempting all a-rank those driving levels can be a bitch because you can't hit the cars or the walls.