A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

I can't play MMF2/Game Maker games.

Aerosol

That is to say, I can play them, but they are choppy. Let me explain.

All the games I play have some sort of problem where every couple of seconds, the game will freeze for a split second then keep going. Sometimes (twice, now), the game will freeze entirely.

I've updated Direct X as far as it'll go, and I have the latest drivers so...what gives? Anyone able to lend a hand here?

Windows XP SP3, sorry I forgot to mention. I updated to the latest graphics drivers a while ago, and this started happening around then (first attempt botched and I had to restart the computer). But I can't recall if these mishaps happened after the botched driver update or before. I'm inclined to think before.

As far as new hardware is concerned, that's a negative captain.

Try some GPU benchmarks (or run other games) to check if the display drivers didn't fuck up something.

MMF2 apps have some command line options to modify display modes. Try some of these and see if it helps. (Some options such as /MISx are only available on newer application builds.)

/DIB => forces standard graphic mode

/DIB3 => forces standard graphic mode, 256 colors

/DIB4 => forces standard graphic mode, 16 millions of colors, 24 bits

/DIB6 => forces standard graphic mode, 32768 colors

/DIB7 => forces standard graphic mode, 65536 colors

/DIB8 => forces standard graphic mode, 16 millions of colors, 32 bits

/DDRAW => forces DirectDraw + VRAM mode

/NOVR => no VRAM in DirectDraw mode

/DEBUG => displays graphic mode in title bar

/MIS0 => disables the Machine Independent Speed option

/MIS1 => forces the Machine Independent Speed option

/NOF => runs in windowed mode

/NOC => prevents images from being compressed in memory (for internal test)

/NOX => disables Alt+F4

/VSYNC => forces V-Sync ON

Windows shortcuts allow you to add command line options. Just create a shortcut to the EXE, right click, and on the properties' 'Shorcut' tab, add the command line options to the "target" box.

Example image here.

EDIT: .bat files are just command lists. You can use notepad to make them.

Also, you can use PAUSE to make the batch show a "press a key to continue" message.

Example batch file that shows hidden files in C:\'s root and 'windows/system32' folders:

cd C:
cd \
dir /ah
PAUSE
cd WINDOWS\system32
dir /ah
PAUSE
exit

Asuma's link covers more interesting things you can do with batch files and commands such as GOTO. They're pretty handy sometimes.

I'll do that, but I think you may be on to something there. The side of my case is off since somebody bent it out of shape and it doesnt fit anymore. Ruined airflow ahoy! I'll edit this post with the temps.

Temps:

CPU SYSTIN: 47 C

CPU CPUTUN: 73 C

CPU AUXTIN: 50 C

GPU CORE: 71 C

Seems like my computer is running a bit more than a little hot there. I can't cool it though, the side of my case wont snap on right. Perhaps the amount of dust in there is hindering the fan?

Well, stuck fans can cause trouble indeed. I just cleaned mine a few days ago, as the hardware monitor's fan sensors freaked out frequently.

Try getting the case to shut properly again, and check temperature readings after you're done cleaning.

I actually just finished doing that now, before I checked the boards again. I cleaned the cpu fan, and put some new Arctic Silver 5 on there. The cpu temp is down to 64 C. Coldest its been is around 56 C, and the hottest around 70 C. The case is as shut as its gonna get too. I've got a feeling that the computer just came with a crappy fan though (I didn't build it). I've never checked the temps before now so I'll never know.

Anyway, MMF2 games are still acting up. Nothing else acts up like this. Not even Game Maker games. I think my CPU is still to blame but heck. Anyone know of a way I can force the CPU fan to spin faster?

The CPU can't really be the problem now, as you say GM games run fine.

Only thing that comes to mind is that the MMF2 runtime really hates something in your Windows installation.

ALL MMF2 apps do this, right? No matter if they're HWA enabled or not?

I wouldn't know about the HWA distinction. I don't know which games are built with HWA or not. I know the Sonic Worlds Delta builds do this, and Sonic Fusion is doing this as well.

On a side note, I cleaned out the front grill as well and got the temps down to around 65 C. There's no fan there, but apparently it is quite important for airflow! That's around normal at idle, the P4 is apparently designed to run hot.

You know, this may sound really retarded and it probably isn't going to work, but I recall a bloke with a similar problem a LONG time ago which he solved by running the games in compatibility mode. Not sure if he used windows 95 or 98 or what sort of compatibility mode, but APPARENTLY it fixed it for him. I don't see how or why, but you may as well give that a whirl just to try it. Probably won't help though.

Specs won't have anything to do anyway, since the games were working fine before.

As for the drivers, the installer might complain saying the installed version is newer so you don't need to run it, therefore:

Start safe mode, uninstall the driver, then install it again.

Safe mode will make the system run on basic VGA mode, so the driver being missing for a while won't mess up Windows.