A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Mushroom Hill Zone in 2.5D

Is it dami's new engine? Dami did the whole thing?

I don't know. It looks like his Egg Engine.

However, it was created by "BlobVanDam." If you go to his portfolio website, he's a 3D animator/modeler. I'm learning towards this being a rendered video and not in an engine.

EDIT: Tweaker just got a hold of Dami. He has nothing to do with this video.

Why is it that Sega is completely incapable of giving us what we want? Any other company I can think of knows exactly what its fans want. New Super Mario Bros (Wii and DS), Contra 4. Nintendo and Konami know what it is that fans want, why doesn't Sega.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If fans want something, they better make it themselves, because Sega is not going to.

Oh my god, awesome work all around. Sonic does look strange though.

Why is it that Sega is completely incapable of giving us what we want? Any other company I can think of knows exactly what its fans want. New Super Mario Bros (Wii and DS), Contra 4. Nintendo and Konami know what it is that fans want, why doesn't Sega.

Because they want to please "everyone". Except pleasing their pocket comes first as it is their main interest, and that obviously means pleasing the new fans because no matter what they produce, it's going to give them money from that fraction. "Old Sonic" fans, the ones that like 2D platforming, aren't a majority. And SEGA doesn't know how to make good choices when it comes to do a Sonic game.

The funny thing is, I had to take care of a bunch of kids in a school program for my friend who was sick once. I brought my genesis and sonic 2 with me. And you know what? All of the kids that played it, loved it. Proof, if any, that plenty of the new generation Sonic players can enjoy more old school formats.

Sega just doesn't have the balls or the desire to do what we actually want them to do. Nor do they even have the business sense.

Or maybe it's because they're asking Dimps to try and replicate the 2D formula, and because that dumbass Iizuka, who has his head firmly up his ass, is in charge.

Edit: So, it is indeed an animation, made by the very talented Aussie, Robert Medina. I feel very proud to be an Aussie right now. FUCK YEAH AUSTRALIA.

That's what I mean. They don't have the balls to internalize the project and make it what we want. They're outsourcing and giving them a general direction. "Make it like this", is basically what they're doing.

Iizuka can blow it out his ear. What the hell was his role in the genesis games anyway?

So let me get this straight. He was lead designer of Sonic 3 and Knuckles, yet told the Dimps team to make the game like Sonic 2, which he wasn't involved in.

Hmm. Yea he can blow it out his ear. I've got a feeling he's only on this project as a name for the hardcore fans to look to and say "Oh, Sonic 4 will be okay. Iizuka is working on it".

@Ristar: Dude. You're sick. But that's why you're awesome.

If it is just a newer version of what I tried before, then it is a very solid engine that runs great on older computers. Probably to be expected from Blitz3D, but even at low cpu clock speeds and a below 30 framerate, the engine still holds strong.

So let me get this straight. He was lead designer of Sonic 3 and Knuckles, yet told the Dimps team to make the game like Sonic 2, which he wasn't involved in.

Hirokazu Yasuhara was more of the "lead" designer. However, Iizuka did have some involvement.

Since Iizuka did have a lot to do with Sonic 4's design, I would have expected a little more than what we are going to be presented with. Personally, I think it's satisfying, but not to the extent of "true blue".