A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Andrew's Let's Play Disney Megadrive Games! FINAL VID: Bloopers!

Andrew

Yes! As some know/remember I'm a very big fan of a lot of Disney movies, especially pre-2000. I have a lot of memories of two Disney Megadrive/Genesis games in particular, the Lion King and Aladdin and I will be playing through these two games in unison because I feel like it. I'm going back to uni in a month or so and I'm trying to make use of my freetime for useless stuff!

I am definitely going to finish at least one of these games. They both get pretty hard after the middle-ish of it.

For those who don't know what a Let's Play is, it is a concept that (I believe) originated from the Something Awful forums and is essentially a playthrough of a game with commentary attached whether it be screenshots with captions, video with commentary, video with subtitles. (SA LP forum).

I will be recording my LP as a video LP with commentary as I play, so please don't criticise my playing as it's hard for me to focus on gaming and talking shit at the same time lol. Each level with be an individual video and I will be adding enemy profiles as I encounter each enemy. Modes will probably have a description as well as I go.

Why am I doing this LP? Boredom. The only other forum I frequent nowadays is NeoGAF and I don't own an account on Something Awful so I can't post it there. I was gonna do a Sonic Adventure DX LP but after recording about 4 videos I realised it'd be very uninformative and not fun to present to a Sonic community. :P

aladdinTitle.gif

Disney's Aladdin

- Developed by Virgin/Disney

- Published by Virgin Interactive

- Released in 1992

- Was ported to the NES once officially and twice unofficially.

- I am only familiar with the Megadrive version so this is the one I will be playing.

Playable characters:

• aladdinSpr.gifAladdin
  • Attacks:
    • Apple throw: Aladdin throws one of his quantity of Apples. Deals lesser damage.
    • Sword: Attacks with his sword. Deals more damage.

• abuSpr.gifAbu
  • Attacks:
    • Sword hit: Abu simply attacks with his sword. It does one strike of damage as well as far as I can as he can kill the fat guards with one hit just like Aladdin.

Will update enemies based on each level.

Enemies:

• knifeThrowerSpr.gifKnife Thrower
  • First appears in: Agrabah Marketplace
  • Douche level: appleSpr.gifappleSpr.gif (/5)
  • Attacks:
    • Knife Throw: Throws a knife by curving it at you. At longer distances, it's very dodge-able.

[*] Notes:

• appleThiefSpr.gifBasket Apple Thief
  • Douche level: appleSprHaff.gif (/5)
  • Attacks:
    • Steal: Not really an "attack", but he sneaks up to you (really obviously) and attempts to reach into your pocket to take your apples and gems.

[*] Notes:

Note about the Pole and Sword guards: They can parry. A fucking lot. Just keep swingin' your sword, or attack them from afar.

Note about all enemies with "sharp" attacks: So, swords and knives, throwing knives. They can cut your apples. Oh fuck can they cut your apples. Might be worth taking the hit when trying to attack them if you're low on apples.

• poleGuardSpr.gifPole Guard
  • Attacks:
    • Hit: He'll simply just attack you when you're near enough. He has one whole apple instead of a half because of his fucking stupid reach.

[*] Notes: Dies in two hits. He and the Sword Guard sort of do a jump when you hit them as if to say "OMG U FUCKER" but they're still cake.

• swordGuardSpr.gifSword Guard
  • Attacks:
    • Swipe: He'll take a big swing at you across his body. Big longer in attack than his other attack, but will do the same damage.
    • Poke: He'll just sort of stick his sword at you a couple times.

[*] Notes: This fucker needs to be hit twice. I dunno why since there's really not much difference in this one and the pole guard but this one shits me more.

• knifeThrowingGuardSpr.gifKnife Throwing Guard
  • Douche level: appleSpr.gifappleSprHaff.gif (/5)
  • Attacks:
    • Throw: Just throws knives at you. BUT, instead of throwing them in an arc like the knife eater/thrower enemy, he'll throw them directly at you.

[*] Notes: There's an Easter egg I guess where you throw an apple at him and his pants fall down. If he isn't strolling around before seeing you, he'll be gorging on apples.

• potTosserSpr.gifPot Tosser
  • Douche level: appleSpr.gifappleSpr.gifappleSprHaff.gif (/5)
  • Attacks:
    • Drop: She tosses pots out of her fucking window.

[*] Notes: This is a woman. Who throws pots out her window. Just when you walk underneath. She is fucking annoying and can result in some bullshit damage loss. Fuck her. Why is she tossing her pots out of her window? Doesn't she like them or something.

• iagoSpr.gifIago
  • First appears in: The Desert
  • Douche level: appleSpr.gif (/5)
  • Attacks:
    • None: All he does is fly backwards and forwards. Not threatening if you see him coming, but if you don't, you can lose a chunk of health before you kill him.

[*] Notes:

• snakeHatSpr.gifSnake (with added Hat!)
  • First appears in: The Desert
  • Attacks:
    • Bite: This guy is a bit of an oddity. He just goes backwards and forwards in a set path but if he sees you and you're in range, he'll reach out in one of his walking animations and go for a bite. I had him originally at one apple, but I just remembered he is usually in between two swords that come out of the ground, making it harder to jump in and hit him without using apples.

[*] Notes:

• snakeCharmerSpr.gifSnake Charmer
  • First appears in: Agrabah Rooftops
  • Attacks:
    • Bite: When the charmer charms the fuck out of his snake. Snakes comes out and attempts to bite the fuck out of you. No poison though, so that's just peachy!

[*] Notes:

• look_at_my_knife_my_knife_is_amazing.gifGazeem (BAWS)
  • Attacks:
    • Knife Throw: Throws a knife much like the knife throwers in that it arcs.

[*] Notes: Oddly easy boss fight. He rolls to and from you trying to throw knives at you. Hurts if you touch him or his throwing knives. I boxed him into the corner and just kept throwing apples when he was far, sliced when close. Was over pretty quickly.

• razoulSpr.gifRazoul (BAWS)
  • Douche level: appleSpr.gifappleSpr.gifappleSpr.gif (/5)
  • Attacks:
    • Sword Throw: Throws a sword much like the knife throwers in that it arcs. Yeah. I know. Similar enemies much?
    • Roll barrel: When you hit him with an apple he rolls a barrel at you with no hesitation. If you hit him twice in quick succession, he will roll two barrels at you at the same speed.

[*] Notes: Much harder than Gazeem, and not too much longer after him, making Gazeem a mini-boss I guess. The big thing is you gotta stand on the high-most platform and throw apples at him. There are refills at the bottom if you run out of apples. If you are down there too long, Razoul throws barrels at you also. The barrels he throws when you hit him with an apple blow up behind you, the ones he throws when you're at the bottom follow you to the bottom. You must hit Razoul at the TOPMOST of your jump to hit him. You have to hit him like 10 times or something.

• jafarSpr.gifJafar
  • First appears in: Level xx
  • Douche level: appleSpr.gifappleSpr.gifappleSpr.gifappleSpr.gifappleSpr.gif (/5)
  • Attacks:
    • Unknown: Will update later!

[*] Notes:

00. Test video - [ DailyMotion | Blip ]

01. Agrabah Market - [ Blip ]

02. The Desert - [ Blip ]

03. Argabah Rooftops - [ Blip ]

04. Sultan's Dungeon - [ Blip ]

05. The Cave of Wonders - [ Blip ]

xx. The Cave of Wonders - [ Blip ] - Final video

If anyone would have a preferred video host (sans Vimeo, they don't want videogames at all on their site) I'd be happy to upload to maybe another aside from Dailymotion. I CAN upload to Blip.tv since videogame commentary counts as a sequential TV show. :ssmile:

Constructive criticism is always encouraged!

Updates:

13 June - After many edits, I am happy with how the post looks. Time to actually record some shit. :aparty:

- Updated with two new videos.

14 June - Decided to just ditch DailyMotion altogether. Blip is just better.

- Updated with a new video.

15 June - Updated the OP with new enemy descriptions.

- Updated the sprites to be their original sizes. Doubling ended up being too much effort and the OP was getting too big in size.

- New video! Sultan's Dungeon. Go hit it up.

17 June - Updated with a new video!

15 November - Updated with (probably) final video: Bloopers for Cave of Wonders.

I kick so much ass at Lion King, reviews said the game was hard but I could beat it in about 3 hours back in the day. Aladdin on the other hand... I could get the final boss easy enough but I never know of to even hurt him let alone beat him. This of course was when I was bout 6-8 years old.

I kick so much ass at Lion King, reviews said the game was hard but I could beat it in about 3 hours back in the day. Aladdin on the other hand... I could get the final boss easy enough but I never know of to even hurt him let alone beat him. This of course was when I was bout 6-8 years old.

Which difficulty? I remember Lion King being pretty damn hard in normal, but a little more managable in the easiest difficulty. To this day from the start I've only beaten it once, but that's because the two levels right before the last one are friggen ridiculous.

I managed to beat Aladdin without save states or cheat codes back in the day, but I had to use the level skip code for the carpet ride in the lava cave. That level was goddamn awful.

As for Lion King. Beat it as well. Shit was hard (especially the labyrinth caves near the end).

It's 2:30am here at the moment and I did a whole video with tired commentary and I realised a, it's in half-size cos I forgot to change it and b, my commentary is god-awful when I'm tired as opposed to possibly mildly entertaining as a pepped up fellow during the day. So look forward for an update in about 10-11 hours or so.

I managed to beat Aladdin without save states or cheat codes back in the day, but I had to use the level skip code for the carpet ride in the lava cave. That level was goddamn awful.

That level was awesome, but if I remember correctly it was a bonus stage of sorts you didn't actually have to beat it, when you died it just took you to the last level. DW it was on normal, the hardest part of the game for me was that hakuna matalevel waterfall, which is odd because looking back it really wasn't hard at all.

Actually, you in fact didn't have to beat the rug ride level. It was weird because it's obviously NOT a bonus stage like the Abu stages, but after a few deaths (I think 3) it'll just send you on your way to the next level. I had it happen to me all the time.

You sure? I remember dying many times on that level and having to restart which is why I'm fucking amazing at that level now.

Anyway, I recorded about 3 levels with one more I need to edit more. Currently encoding them to mp4 and then will upload and update! :)

Actually, you in fact didn't have to beat the rug ride level. It was weird because it's obviously NOT a bonus stage like the Abu stages, but after a few deaths (I think 3) it'll just send you on your way to the next level. I had it happen to me all the time.

Exactly what happens. Andrew you could be thinking of the SNES game because its carpet level was not an option and I remember a friend telling me it was hard. Either way though its a cool level in the Genesis version and I never found it very hard I usually beat it on my first attempt, only early on did it give me any trouble and as duckboy said it sends you to the next level anyway.

My favorite level had to be inside the lamp, anyone agree?

When heard this topic was made, I hooked up the old genesis and (yet again) tried to beat lion king (just for shits and giggles).

I always get to the last level (scar) and once i get him to the very top of pride rock i get stuck and don't know what to do.

And I never get a chance to figure it out because he always kills me before I can do shit.

I've been failing in that game since my childhood. Very frustrating.

However, I never got the chance to play Aladdin, might give it a shot.

P.s. I know it wasn't mentioned but toy story for genesis was a cool game too.

Toy Story was never fun. I did enjoy the second one on my Dreamcast but I went back and tried to play it again about 1 month ago and the controls and physics are just horrid.

Andrew you have a hot voice, I watched the first of your videos which is saying something because I never watch other people's videos. It was pretty good but I'd probably be better if you went back after you played the level and did the commentary that way you are not doing 2 things at once. Plus you'd have a better idea of what was going on in the level. Also concerning what you said I'm pretty sure that guy in the basket takes your gems too.

... No homo?

Joking of course! But you already knew that didn't you XD. And even if was was who the hell really cares.

Also, Overbound, part of the whole let's play experience is that you get the commentary of the person playing the game as he plays it.

Regardless the finished project would be better if he did it after he played while watching a video of what he did. People who watch things for entertainment don't really care how things are made as long as the finished product is good. My suggestion would improve the finished product.

I've seen some lets play videos before and most of the time its some one stuttering trying to think of something to say and many times getting the facts wrong. If that's what Let's Play is all about then Let's Play needs a face lift. And just to be sure I'm not trying to diss your videos here Andrew yours were better than a lot of them I've seen, its just the whole concept needs to be rethought.

... No homo?

Also, Overbound, part of the whole let's play experience is that you get the commentary of the person playing the game as he plays it.

Yeah, that's mostly true, but then again what about subtitle LPs? They play through the game and then comment on it. Some other LPs are like this also (like Ambisagrus and company's Majora's Mask LP).

I had thought of doing it the way Overbound said it and I think I might for the next level as a test because (from memory) it's a lot harder than the previous ones.

@Overbound: Yes, some LPs can be extremely terrible which I why I decided to steer clear of games I hadn't played thoroughly before. The purpose of an LP is to be entertained and since I don't have any close friends who had played this as thoroughly as me or are excessively hilarious I figured I'd just play games I know at least something about. On the same Blip.tv account I have a video of me doing the start of SADX which I'm more knowledgeable about but at the same time, you've all played the shit out of SA and it's successors so I figured it'd be pointless. I stutter a lot and struggle to find words a fair bit when talking about a lot of stuff but in the SADX one it's not too bad. :P