A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Colors Thread

I had a long write up about the pros and cons about the Wii version, but it seems like a waste of time now. I enjoy the game, I don't expect everyone else to, but if you have the option you should buy it. It's fun. It gets a lot of stuff right. Yay. I'm actually looking forward to the next big Sonic game.

It is a good game. I've got to give it that. I also have to take about 10 points off immediately due to boss recycling what I'm guessing to be 3 bosses (I've only gone through the first five zones so far) when the game appears to only be 7 zones long.

The difficulty jump on Asteroid Coaster is a bit ridiculous.

Also, I had Sonic with MikeL's head ages ago.

Well, it's sort of a one-way problem. The revisions of the bosses make the originals trivial. True, it isn't as bad as Super Mario Galaxy's bowser rehashing, but it's still one of those things that feel cheap because there simply aren't enough bosses in the first place to be recycling them.

EDIT: And finished. Wow, that last boss fight started off kinda cool but ended up being pretty underwhelming. And the little mini-act that came immediately after was just disappointing.

Oh well, fun game all in all. I don't think I'll really think a whole lot about it down the road though mostly because it wasn't especially distinguished from Sonic Unleashed... just with more content and without the horrible horrible parts that I associate with that game. It did do the story-telling pretty much spot on, which is something I still found Sonic Unleashed to be a bit flaky on. The consistency made it a lot more enjoyable.

But I have to really have to say they need to work on the bosses. They were rare, being only one per six acts. They were doubly rare, since you can basically omit the first three and just say they are more like warm up versions of the second three, and... well, I guess that's it really. With only four real bosses, it's something they need to put more thought into severely next go around.

I'll comment on the level design after I have more time to digest it.

To commemorate the fact that I like this game, I've picked a new avatar that celebrates it. To keep myself recognizable, I picked the one whose color scheme most resembles Darkwing Duck.

I am the terror that will chew your fucking face off.

Oh shit...

Anyways, saw this

about sonic colors ds on the stadium today. I had a good laugh, but my question is do you die after 9min 59sec like in the genesis games?

Went on a red ring FRENZY tonight. Man, they really make you work your tail off for a lot of them. Also did all 21 Sonic Sim stages so I could play around with Super Sonic. Sadly, Super Sonic's gameplay isn't meant for S ranking, as his Super Sonic bonus causes him to just break even with the ring bonus, and he can't earn any points for Wisp powers. Still a fun time though, particularly in the game's longer stages.

Only have 14/44 S ranks though. I have a feeling those will take a little more dedication. Overall though? Sonic Colors has been a fun experience.

I plan on picking up the DS version of the game sometime as well. Just not sure when.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, you know, I kinda thought Sonic being able to move more through the water better was a pretty neat way of making the water levels more enjoyable. It's really a fanboy thing to think about the history of the series and to use that to decide that Sonic being able to move through the water without turning into a crappy slow moving turd is a bad thing.

*Keep on Trollin*

Okay, I got this game for my birthday, and my verdict so far?

Okay, I really want to enjoy this game, the visuals and music are pure awesome, but... Argh. This game is only marginally better than Unleashed. What really lets this game down is the controls. In the 3D sections, Sonic controls like a really shitty car, and in 2D, the platforming controls are absolutely horrendous, too loose and floaty.

And the kicker? Unleashed's fake difficulty is back with a vengence. Not as bad as the HD versions of Unleashed, mind you, but, Christ, it's still bad.

Sonic controls like an assload of bricks in 3D, but the 2D controls really aren't that bad. If anything, it's only the jump and double-jump that needs tightening, and even that I can deal with. I still had loads more fun with this game than Unleashed, hands-down. There's more to do and less to be frustrated with, like mandatory medal collecting and overextended Werehog stages.

And the kicker? Unleashed's fake difficulty is back with a vengence. Not as bad as the HD versions of Unleashed, mind you, but, Christ, it's still bad.
>Implying Sonic Unleashed was cheap

If Colors has the same kind of puzzles and challenges as Unleashed, then I can't wait to buy it :)

>Implying Sonic Unleashed was cheap

Implying? Implying? Unleashed was RIFE with Trial And Error Gameplay, and some of the worst kind! Eggmanland was the worst of the lot! The later levels FORCE you to memorise them perfectly in order to even finish them. Colours, while it still retains some evil, evil design decisions, isn't nearly as bad, but it ends up swapping one form of fake difficulty for another - shitty controls.

You know what? Perhaps Sonic Team should just discard the Unleashed formula, because, in my eyes, it isn't working. Period. Why they haven't made an open-world Sonic game yet (a game world the size of Just Cause 2's would be fine), is beyond me.